Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #31
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I downloaded the manual and searched for landscape word ... ... It's there, so confirmed ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:26 AM   #32
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
I also just heard that Obama family uses Kindle/Nook type books! I don't know if it's true.. but sounds believable..
If anything, thats a disincentive to buy one :P
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 12:32 PM   #33
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
ETA: Nevermind, was able to download it from the product page.

Last edited by whitearrow; 09-28-2012 at 12:35 PM. Reason: I got the manual to download!
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #34
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Note that the 'recommendations' that some people are disappointed about (I may include myself in that group but will have to see it first) appear only in Cover view. In List view it should be the same as before. Functionally I think List view will work better for me anyway, based on how I usually set up Kindle apps on other devices.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:32 PM   #35
masquedbunny
masquedbunny has learned how to read e-booksmasquedbunny has learned how to read e-booksmasquedbunny has learned how to read e-booksmasquedbunny has learned how to read e-booksmasquedbunny has learned how to read e-booksmasquedbunny has learned how to read e-booksmasquedbunny has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, iPhone 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
I also just heard that Obama family uses Kindle/Nook type books! I don't know if it's true.. but sounds believable..
Wouldn't surprise me. On a US President's yearly income it's hardly a financial stretch for each member of the family to have their own e-reader... Though, if they were sticklers for physical [where's-the-smell?-I-need-to-smell-my-books!] books, I doubt Air Force One has the weight restrictions for luggage that the rest of us deal with. Pack a trunk of books, pack two--who's going to say no?
masquedbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2012, 01:46 PM   #36
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Thanks for posting the link to the Paperwhite user's manual, 6charlong! I'm considering a purchase, and it'll help to read more about it.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:46 PM   #37
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
Thanks for posting the link to the Paperwhite user's manual, 6charlong! I'm considering a purchase, and it'll help to read more about it.
You're welcome. I always enjoy downloading the manual for a new device so I can study it while I wait for the UPS truck and I thought others might like to as well.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #38
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
It looks like the PW will suffer from the annoying Airplane mode like the K4 does.
Quote:
To turn wireless off, from the Home screen tap the Menu button, select Settings, and enable
Airplane Mode.
Amazon please fix this! grrrr.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #39
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It looks like the PW will suffer from the annoying Airplane mode like the K4 does.

What do you mean by that?
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #40
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
What do you mean by that?
It means you can't turn WiFi off while in a book. It also means you can't turn WiFi off from the home page.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #41
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Not that anyone can answer this question - but why do you think they've done that? I turn the WiFi on and off lots of times while I'm reading, knowing something will download onto my K3K, so that when I'm out of WiFi range, a new purchase, or something I've sent to my Kindle will be there when I'm ready to read.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:46 PM   #42
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Not that anyone can answer this question - but why do you think they've done that? I turn the WiFi on and off lots of times while I'm reading, knowing something will download onto my K3K, so that when I'm out of WiFi range, a new purchase, or something I've sent to my Kindle will be there when I'm ready to read.
I also have a Kindle Keyboard so I was curious about this myself. From reading the Paperwhite manual, it looks like the only way to toggle wifi/3G is via the Settings menu from the Home screen, as opposed to the Kindle Keyboard where there's a wireless toggle on pretty much every menu.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 01:57 AM   #43
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

As a "power reader" I never turn off wireless. I can't read any more without wikipedia lookup, much less Report Content Error.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:10 AM   #44
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
As a "power reader" I never turn off wireless. I can't read any more without wikipedia lookup, much less Report Content Error.
There are many of us who do turn off Wireless. I find the battery drains really fast if left on. It's a pain to have to hop out of a book just turn off Wireless after retrieving the latest page.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:43 AM   #45
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
There are many of us who do turn off Wireless. I find the battery drains really fast if left on. It's a pain to have to hop out of a book just turn off Wireless after retrieving the latest page.
I agree it is a step backwards, though it is not much different than iOS (probably where they got this stupid idea).

And K4's battery doesn't store as much as KT and KPW, so you might find you can recalibrate your concerns.