Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #1
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
LibraryThing.com

*** If the moderators feel this belongs in lounge, please move it there and accept my apologies. ***

As a result of the fabulous Discworld thread that now has me heartily into the second half of "The Colour of Magic", I have just discovered the LibraryThing.com website.

It already seems pretty amazing, and with a lot of yet to be realized potential... which is what makes the (thus far) seemingly frequent bugginess more than forgivable.

Given that there seems to be quite a lot and there are more than a few things I do not fully understand yet, I'd love to get some other LibraryThing.com users' tips and perspectives...

- So what's your favourite feature?
- What's functionality that you didn't get and first but learned to utilize and now "couldn't live without"?
- How many of you managed to get free books via the Giveaways so far?
- Any other/unrelated tips or suggestions to a new user?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I started off using LibraryThing but have since moved my collection to Goodreads.com
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
I started off using LibraryThing but have since moved my collection to Goodreads.com
What made you move? What does Goodreads have over LibraryThing? (I've never used Goodreads, and, as mentioned, just started on LibraryThing.)

- Ahi
Old 06-18-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I also use GoodReads - I looked at LibraryThing, but it didn't seem to have the same indepth social aspect that GoodReads does. Of course, that may have changed by now.

Another one I've heard tossed around but never used is Shelfari.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 03:36 PM   #5
ahi
Wizard

Do the alternatives also integrate with international book databases? More than half my library is non-English so if I can only load books from Amazon.com and/or the Library of Congress, it's not viable for my purposes.

- Ahi
Old 06-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Do the alternatives also integrate with international book databases? More than half my library is non-English so if I can only load books from Amazon.com and/or the Library of Congress, it's not viable for my purposes.
I can only speak for GoodReads here, but it has nothing to do with Amazon or LoC. I was once able to manually add a book that I couldn't find (it was an self-published book).

I don't know what's available as far as integration -- I use it for my reading list, not to track what books I own. If you're looking for a database to track your books and how much they're worth, GoodReads is not for you.
Old 06-18-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
queentess
Reading is sexy

The competitor thing was actually brought up on GoodReads just last month. You can view the thread here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...ads-competitor
Old 06-18-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
ahi
Wizard

Thanks for the link to that thread. I think I get it.

For my personal needs, the social aspect is not important at all, but having Hungarian national catalogue and Canadian national catalogue data access is. I do not get the impression that it is available, as querying the databases in real-time is time-intensive enough that it couldn't be fully hidden in the back-end.

Does Goodreads also have some a specific book giveaway/sharing/reviewing feature?

- Ahi

- Ahi
Old 06-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
I liked Goodreads quite a bit more, myself. I'm not good with the social parts of it (I don't know many people who read what I read) but I quite like the idea.

My profile is here if you join.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:39 PM   #10
pking36330
FT Parent PT Reader
pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.pking36330 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Shocked by how much I've read on an iPod Touch received as a gift!
I'm a GoodReads member also and the reason is, it cost me $0 to enter my entire library in GoodReads and it would have cost me $10/year to do the same at LibraryThing since I have more than 200 books (the max free book limit on LibraryThing).
pking36330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 09:47 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a librarything account which sits unused. I also have a Shelfari account and a GoodReads account. Of the three, Shefari is awful. The staff there don't care and errors can creep into book listings that they have to fix and they don't. It's a horrible site. LibraryThing is ok. Nothing special about it to be honest. I do like GoodReads the best. It also has the best social aspect and the librarians are helpful.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 10:58 PM   #12
ahi
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pking36330 View Post
I'm a GoodReads member also and the reason is, it cost me $0 to enter my entire library in GoodReads and it would have cost me $10/year to do the same at LibraryThing since I have more than 200 books (the max free book limit on LibraryThing).
Or $19 one time for a lifetime membership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a librarything account which sits unused. I also have a Shelfari account and a GoodReads account. Of the three, Shefari is awful. The staff there don't care and errors can creep into book listings that they have to fix and they don't. It's a horrible site. LibraryThing is ok. Nothing special about it to be honest. I do like GoodReads the best. It also has the best social aspect and the librarians are helpful.
It seems to me librarything's primary appeal is for those with an international(ly published/sourced) collection. Without the 600+ worldwide book database connections (or, rather, the rights ones out of those 600) I'd have to add most of my books entirely manually. Or does GoodReads offer sourcing from international national library/other book databases too, JSWolf?

Social aspect and librarians aside, do you find there is a big difference between Librarything and GoodReads in terms of functionality offered?

- Ahi
Old 06-19-2009, 03:07 AM   #13
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Hi,

do you anobii? Have you used it? Is it better or worse than these places?

Ciao

Terisa de Morgan
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #14
radamo
Addict
radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.radamo can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Oasis 9th Gen
Thanks everyone for mentioning Goodreads.... I just tried to start using Librarything and looked at Goodreads today. I think it is much better for my use and more user friendly for adding books (less clicking back and forth)....
Nice site.

RA
radamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #15
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I prefer Library thing, I think the social aspect of good reads sucks. I really don't need yet another forum. and Library thing has some cooler features, Most notibly great recommendations. decent book tracking, great series tracking, star system, good reviews of books, great author tracking, and I just like it better, more ways to sort and all that.

I liked good reads a little bit. it was easier to use, but there were few recommendations unless you get heavy into the social aspect, and I didn't want to do that.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote