Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 04-16-2015, 05:39 AM   #1
desplin
desplin began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tab S 10.5 (Lollipop)
Lollipop SD card problem

I upgraded my Samsung Tab S 10.5 to Lollipop. After upgrading I relocated the Calibre Companion directory to my SD card. CC moved all the book files and things were fine. Now (a week later) when I try to download a book from my PC to the tablet via CC, I get the error :"cannot save book xxx to device memory." Why did it quit working? How do I fix the problem?
desplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 05:46 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by desplin View Post
I upgraded my Samsung Tab S 10.5 to Lollipop. After upgrading I relocated the Calibre Companion directory to my SD card. CC moved all the book files and things were fine. Now (a week later) when I try to download a book from my PC to the tablet via CC, I get the error :"cannot save book xxx to device memory." Why did it quit working? How do I fix the problem?
Unfortunately, I don't know what is wrong so cannot speculate on how to fix it.

What version did you update from?

Some people have reported that they needed to uninstall CC, delete CC's folder on the SD card, then reinstall CC in order to have appropriate permissions. It has something to do with how Android manages security for the cards. This is an unpleasant approach because you must resend all your books.

If you send me a debug log I might be able to learn something from it. If you do send one (Settings / Send a debug log to MultiPie), please erase the "multipie.co.uk" address. Sending it to me is sufficient.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #3
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
For what its worth, I just tried out the new version on my newly updated to Lollipop phone and it copies books to the SD card with no problem.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
For what its worth, I just tried out the new version on my newly updated to Lollipop phone and it copies books to the SD card with no problem.
Thanks. It is good to know that it is possible to make it work.
Old 04-17-2015, 02:57 PM   #5
desplin

I uninstalled and reinstalled the CC app. It will now write to the application-specific directory on the SD card. That is good enough for me. But I understand that lollipop should allow us to write to any directory now. But that requires the developer to code the application using the new API to make it work.
Advert
Old 04-17-2015, 03:53 PM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by desplin View Post
I uninstalled and reinstalled the CC app. It will now write to the application-specific directory on the SD card. That is good enough for me. But I understand that lollipop should allow us to write to any directory now. But that requires the developer to code the application using the new API to make it work.
I am the developer.

I have considered doing making the large number of incompatible changes required to support the lollipop storage access framework. At this point the cost and time can't be justified. My view might change in the future once the number of people using versions of Android earlier than 4.4 drops to a small number, or it I find a way to support it that is compatible with Android back to Gingerbread.
Old 04-17-2015, 03:58 PM   #7
kaufman
Calibre Companion Fanatic
kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kaufman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kindle Voyage
My opinion is that as long as there is some way to write to the SD card (which there is), I don't really care if I am not able to write to some arbitrary directory. Maybe it would be a little better that way, but not enough better to have you do a lot of work to make it happen.
kaufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:43 AM   #8
desplin

I agree. The important thing for me was to be able to write to the SD card. That is now working and I am happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaufman View Post
My opinion is that as long as there is some way to write to the SD card (which there is), I don't really care if I am not able to write to some arbitrary directory. Maybe it would be a little better that way, but not enough better to have you do a lot of work to make it happen.