Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 05-18-2013, 06:18 AM   #1
OwenA
OwenA began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Blank screen, black lines, won't reset.

Does anyone know what this means.

Yesterday am my M92 was working fine. Came back to it an hour later to find a blank screen with a single black line. It won't turn on, or off (to be honest I'm not sure wether it is on or off). There is a continuous blue light. I plugged it into the USB on the computer and an orange light came on which turned to magenta a few seconds later. The disc doesn't mount on the desktop and nothing happens on the M92 screen. After a while the single line turned into 6 lines (not all at once - the additional lines have appeared slowly). If I press and hold the on/off switch the light does go out after about 15 seconds but comes on again after I release it.

I've used the reset button in the back and pressed the on/off switch, several times, after reading other posts. It hasn't had a knock or anything like that - I've just been using it on my desk at home.

I'm really worried I might have lost the work on there, which is quite a lot and there is a deadline for getting it done ( I know - should have backed it up).

I had a look on other posts and a blank screen with lines s been mentioned a couple of times in posts about other screen issues, so I am hoping this is something recognisable and fixable....

Does anyone have any ideas?
OwenA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Make sure to charge your device to preserve the battery.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
OwenA

I did occur to me that it could be out of battery but I thought it was fairly well topped up. If the battery is completely empty can I charge it from the computer USB... or do I have to buy a mains adaptor?
Old 05-18-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys

Device: Boox i62HD
one line is not a broken screen, I guess.
If the problem is the battery, which is completely empty, you'll have to buy a new one.

At least, you can ask for support to the shop you bought the reader.
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
OwenA

Letting the battery run out of power renders it dead? This doesn't fit with what people are saying elsewhere and there is no warning about this in the manual.

The boox was purchased direct from Onyx so I can't take it back to the shop.
Advert
Old 05-18-2013, 10:20 AM   #6
Inemi
Connoisseur
Inemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toysInemi shares his or her toys

Device: Boox i62HD
Lithium-ion polymer batteries have such a problem.
"During discharge on load, the load has to be removed as soon as the voltage drops below approximately 3.0 V per cell (used in a series combination), or else the battery will subsequently no longer accept a full charge and may experience problems holding voltage under load."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithiu...nd_limitations

it's something often discussed in the fourm, you might use search button to find more.
Inemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:52 PM   #7
OwenA

Inemi,

I have to thank you for your help but that quote means nothing to me. I don't know what 'discharge on load' means' or what the significance of '3.0V per cell (used in a series combination)' means. I have no other gadgets in my home that stop working when the battery goes flat....I'm sure you are right though.. I'm not having a go at you... but am really angry with Onyx if this is what has happened. Something so fundamentally important should be included with the instructions for the thing.

Thanks.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The battery is not really dead. Booxtor (ereader-store.eu) knows how to recharge a discharged battery, he has the equipment.

For your device, try to maintain the battery in charge for some hours, it could help.

An idea, I don't know if it's possible, but some device can be used with an external power and without the battery, I have a PDA like this. May be you can remove the battery and use an external power to see I the device is responding : power + reset.

Last edited by Randy11; 05-18-2013 at 02:12 PM.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
OwenA

I'm not sure that it is the battery - my symptoms don't match a post by Booxter explaining the symptoms of a dead battery. I have a blue light, and the orange light comes on when it's plugged in for charging. I can't turn it off, except by using the reset button. Then I can turn it on (the blue light comes on) but not off again. All the time the same screen with the lines that are slowly multiplying.

I haven't been able to find any post on here about killing Lithium batteries by letting them run down, but things elsewhere on the net suggest it reduces their life span, but that most of them shut down when the charge gets low to prevent this problem. I can't find anywhere in the UK to buy a new battery and am worried about invalidating the warranty if I try to open the thing up.

I did find another post by someone with a similar problem which was resolved eventually by sending it back to Booxtor, but no info on what the problem was.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:31 PM   #10
OwenA

Hi Randy,

I saw something on another post that said you can't charge without the battery. But as this is only a week or so old I don't really want to take the cover off for fear of invalidating the warranty.

I have tried resetting, with and without it plugged into the charger - still the blank screen with the slowly multiplying black lines - I have about 16 lines now (started with one yesterday).

Unfortunately I have about 1 week's worth of work on here - student marking - and there is a deadline for the marks as we are very close to the end of term. I don't mind if the Boox has to be returned, but I really badly need to get my work of it, so if anyone can help with this I'd be very grateful.
Old 05-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #11
OwenA

.... I don't know if this is relevant, but when I first got this and took it out of the box and turned it on I had the same thing - blank screen with one black line - but after turning off and on again it worked fine.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
Randy11
Wizard

If it's only a problem of screen, you can connect the M92 to your PC : you have access to the internal memory and the SD card, with this you can get your work.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
OwenA

I have tried plugging it in to the computer (I have a Mac). Usually when I do this I have to select a box on the M92 to confirm that I want to make the connection to the computer and only then does it appear on the computer desktop - but with a blank stripey screen on the M92 I can't see the message (and nothing is mounting on the desktop - I can't see the Boox on my computer).
Old 05-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
OwenA

I have tried just pressing the 'okay' button and hoping that this initiates the connection - but it doesn't work.
Old 05-18-2013, 04:53 PM   #15
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
Hi,
most likely your screen got a malfunction. One straight line on the screen means often a defect in screen controller. The only way to repair it - screen replacement. Since the screen is not broken it is obviously a warranty case. Your data is also most likely not lost. I understand you need to get your device fixed urgently. Where are you from?

Last edited by Booxtor; 05-18-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote