Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
tgauldin
Edge User

Maximum Micro SD card size

Is there a limit to the size of storage on a micro SD card for the pocket Edge? Can I use a 16 gig or 32 gig card?

Old 05-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #2
Franky
Edge User

I use a 32gb Pretec SDHC class 10. Cool card

Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
netrobot
Edge User

Hmmm. Class 10 huh? Sounds PRICEY. Can I get some feedback on which "class" of micro-SD the eDGe can reasonably exploit? I suspect at some point, I'm putting Formula One tires on a Yugo.

I think I'm set on buying a 16GB micro-SD because 32GB is more than double the cost, and I just can't see NEEDING that much storage on my PE. Oh sure, I'd fill the thing with junk, but "need"? No. Besides, when the PE costs $150, paying more than $60 for memory is somehow more painful than for a laptop or desktop.

I searched for 'micro-sd' and read a bunch of posts but didn't find my answer, so I'm asking.

Thanks

Old 05-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
Filark
Edge User

I saw some posts saying class 4 worked. Will try to find the link.

I was browsing Newegg yesterday, thinking of buying a micro-SD card for my PE (several possibilities), but decided I would wait until I need the extra storage -- which may be never! I bought a card for my Sony Reader and never really used it. Trying to learn frugality . . . lol!

Edit: I think this is the link I was thinking of: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...highlight=sdhc. Nothing about the PE in there, but the micro versions will probably work.

Anybody know better??

Last edited by Filark; 05-24-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Old 05-24-2011, 07:26 PM   #5
netrobot
Edge User

Thanks Filark. I read that thread, but even there is seems everyone is wondering about the efficacy of speed/class. I don't even know what class I can exploit on my PC if I DID want to pull the micro-SD and mass-load MP3 files (which I don't).

Ideally, I'd like to get the most out of my PE while NOT flushing money down the rat hole by buying what it cannot use.

There's also the consideration of technology advance. A 32GB micro-SD TODAY probably costs what a 16GB did six months ago, and will cost what 16GB does now, six months in the future. Doing a Google search, I see this same dilemma being played out all over the place. NO ONE KNOWS WHAT "CLASS" MEANS, AND IF IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE.
http://www.sdcard.org/developers/tech/speed_class/
... so they're USELESS
On another site, i found this:
Class 2 = 2 megabytes/second
Class 4 = 4 megabytes/second
Class 6 = 6 megabytes/second (why couldn't the stupid ASSOCIATION provide this!?)
(write speed to an empty card)http://www.berryreview.com/2009/01/1...e-read-speeds/
If this is true, I'm assuming a "Class 10" card can accept writes at 10MBps. Now if we knew the limitations of the Entourage bus the micro-SD plugs into, we'd be in business.
Of course, if most data transfer is going to happen using a wireless network, or worse, wireless tethered to 3G, a "class 6" card is overkill, but perhaps not for read speed. Online I see Class 10 32GB micro-SD for about $75, or HALF what I paid for the PE itself. I see 16GB Class 10 for $26.

Advert
Old 05-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
natescape
Edge User

I have class 4 16 MB ones in my PEs and they seem to work fine. I tried a class 4 32 GB one and it super-heated (melted part of the MicroSD "door") and wasn't recognized by the system.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
Ressie
Edge User

I believe the limit is 32GB as it is a MMC/SDHC slot. Anything higher than 32GB would require new hardware to accomodate SDXC. Also, I haven't benchmarked it yet, but I use a 32GB Class 10 in my pocket edge, and it works dandy, although I can't tell if it's full speed on the bus the edge uses as the edge can't play HD video that I want to stream from it =( So I wouldn't bother with anything over class 2 unless you have something higher laying around like I did