Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #1
sin_catcher
sin_catcher began at the beginning.

Device: irex
Smile Can anybody send me the shell access package,please!

I bought a second hand iliad few months ago.I can't download the shell access package because we Chinese just can't (They say it is for our device's safty.Crap,man! We buy these devices at a higher price about $880 and get a third country treatment.)
Since I don't have any insurance issue(expired),so is there anybody kind enough to send me a copy of shell access package? I will be very appreciated.Thank you!
sin_catcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:26 PM   #2
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
There are two versions of iLiad. One is for sale in China, and the other is for sale worldwide except China. If your iLiad is the first one, you can't get support directly from iRex. You should go to http://irexreader.cn/.

Besides, I heard that China version doesn't provide shell access package.

Last edited by ericshliao; 05-15-2008 at 06:32 PM.
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
sin_catcher

ericshliao,thanks for the reply.Yes,there are two versions,but none of them provide the shell access package as I know.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

You seem to mis-understand what I meant. The "version" you mentioned should be "edition".

I haven't seen anyone shared iLiad shell access package in this forum. Even if someone did, it is highly possible that it won't apply to your China version iLiad. No matter it's 1st edition or 2nd edition.

Besides, it's illegal to distribute the package without iRex's consent. If there ever exists a way to fulfill your need, it must exist in forums in China, not here.

Last edited by ericshliao; 05-16-2008 at 12:26 AM.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:28 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
What does the shell access package actually do? Is it more than the following in /mnt/settings/registry/registry.xml
Code:
       <application type="SHELL">
            <appCategory>viewer</appCategory>
            <xResourceName>sh</xResourceName>
            <ipcChannel>14</ipcChannel>
            <argMask>_FILENAME_</argMask>
            <execute>/bin/sh</execute>
            <supportFormat>
                <extName>sh</extName>
            </supportFormat>
            <appIconPath/>
        </application>
Even if this is all it is, I don't see how to get a modified registry.xml onto a Chinese iLiad.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Even if this is all it is, I don't see how to get a modified registry.xml onto a Chinese iLiad.
I don't think you can. The original poster may be confused. There isn't a "package" that you can download and install yourself. I don't think anybody has a "package" that they can give them. The only way to get the shell access is to sign up for it and then connect to iDS. The entire thing is downloaded/installed automatically during the iDS connection directly on to the iLiad. The user doesn't receive any "package" that they can then pass on.

As you said, even if there were such a thing, there would be no way of installing it yourself. You can't run a shell in order to install the package, without already having shell access installed.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 04:58 PM   #7
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
I just wonder with a properly configured nat firewall, could one make an A to a B for the iLiad, and translate the server the (chinese) iliad wants to connect to, to the european one?

Technically at least the freebsd netfilter package, can do IP translation stuff like this.

Or could one even "emulate" the iRex server? What protocoll does the iLiad talk to the iRex?

However I don't want to be arrogant, but in this particular case, I doubt the needed tech skills are developed high enough. If you mismatch version with edition, its hardly not the call talking about IP translation, server emulation etc

Last edited by axel77; 05-16-2008 at 05:01 PM.
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
I just wonder with a properly configured nat firewall, could one make an A to a B for a firewall, and translate the server the (chinese) iliad wants to connect to, to the european one?
Or you could try using the TOR network.

http://www.torproject.org/

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 06:56 PM   #9
sin_catcher

Thanks everybody!
Now I'm afraid that there is no way to get the shell access for me.Maybe I should try using the TOR network method.If someone else know a better way to solve the problem,please let me konw.
Thanks again for your kindness.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:28 PM   #10
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
There is some software in this thread which could help you to analyze the iDS protocol. There is also a concept of an iDS server emulation script which might be of use.

Btw IP redirection would not work due to the HTTP client sending the chinese hostname to the european server.
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #11
ericshliao
Guru

Even if one can redirect a Chinese iLiad connect to European iDS server, the European iDS server probabally will not allow a Chinese iLiad to acquire a shell access package.

Every iLiad has its own MAC. iDS server will always know its version from MAC.

Last edited by ericshliao; 05-16-2008 at 08:09 PM.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
I'm pretty sure the Chinese iLiads and iDS are handled by a separate company in China. This may be obvious and you've already done it, but have you tried contacting the Chinese support company and asking them why you can't get the developer package?

I know at one time the Chinese iLiads didn't come with a Mobipocket viewer either, is this still the case? There may be some technical differences in the software on the Chinese iLiads that would make it incompatible with the developer package for the European iLiads, even if you could somehow figure out a way of getting/installing it.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #13
sin_catcher

Thanks guys!
What can I say?I give up.What was left inside me, I think , is jealousy.HeHe.