Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #1
ToeRag
ToeRag began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 (2) & Kindle Fire (2)
Editing Metadata for Kindle ... ???

I'm sorry if this is discussed somewhere, I did searches for over an hour and could find my specific issue.

I love Calibre - I use it all the time to feed my Kindle2. However One thing that I have a problem with and can't seem to figure out is editing the Metadata mainly Author & Title so that i can control sorting within my Kindle2.

I edit the Metadata - first by trying to 'fetch' it and then I clean it up to match the way I would like the information displayed, fixing typos title case etc..

Then when it's sent or loaded to my Kindle2 the information is not displayed or formatted the way it saved it within Calibre.

I did try a program Mobi2mobi.exe which seems to work, doing what I want; however if I use a Mobi file that was saved/created from Calibre I get an exception error when reading in the file.

Is there something that is NOT working correctly with Calibre when saving .mobi files? I've never had a problem opening or reading them with my kindle or other .mobi readers or software.

And is there a way to get Calibre to edit the fields that effect the labels that the kindle uses to sort within the device?
ToeRag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:50 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Well, this is just me, but when I do my metadata on Calibre, if I make sure both the author and author sort are "last name first, first name last"
it has never failed to load that way in the kindle.

This takes some double checking, since after fetching the metadata, it will sometimes load the author "first name first"

Also, I always side load.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 09:09 AM   #3
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
You have to remember that changing the metadata in Calibre is JUST changing it in Calibre, that is it is becoming part of the DB. You need to CONVERT the file - even if it is to the same format to apply the metadata to the file and therefore make it available to Kindle.

Test it out on a COPY of a book first. I think you'll find that I am right.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post
You have to remember that changing the metadata in Calibre is JUST changing it in Calibre, that is it is becoming part of the DB. You need to CONVERT the file - even if it is to the same format to apply the metadata to the file and therefore make it available to Kindle.

Yes, I thought that was a given.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
ToeRag
ToeRag began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2 (2) & Kindle Fire (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootman View Post

Ahh...

something so simple(stupid)!

Thanks.
ToeRag is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Metadata handling for MOBI files changed with 0.6.37.

Calibre is now able to adjust MOBI metadata when sending a MOBI file to the connected device. For Kindle, in Preferences|Conversion|MOBI, check 'Use author sort for author' to use Kindle-style home page sorting.

When you send the book to your Kindle, the metadata will be rewritten in the copy sent to your device.

This is a new feature, and I'm fairly confident it's working correctly, but if not, please post your observations here.

G

Last edited by GRiker; 02-04-2010 at 03:18 PM.
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Ahhh, very interestink.

I HAD noticed that it took a bit longer to transfer a file to the Kindle, it was updating the MD at the same time.

This begs the question then, ToeRag, are you running the latest and greatest Calibre?
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: iPad, K3, K4, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Metadata handling for MOBI files changed with 0.6.37.

Calibre is now able to adjust MOBI metadata when sending a MOBI file to the connected device. For Kindle, in Preferences|Conversion|MOBI, check 'Use author sort for author' to use Kindle-style home page sorting.

When you send the book to your Kindle, the metadata will be rewritten in the copy sent to your device.

This is a new feature, and I'm fairly confident it's working correctly, but if not, please post your observations here.

G
Is this then the solution to the series conundrum on Kindle? I can keep it clean and proper in Calibre and then use the series_index variable when sending to my Kindle?

I suppose this is wishful thinking on my part - I guess the only way to display that info in Kindle would still require a tweaking of the title.
Scott Nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 08:08 AM   #9
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Calibre will use whatever's in the Title field as the title for the book when it's sent to the device.

The Catalog feature, starting with the next release, displays series information, and organizes titles by author with series members sorted together. You could use the catalog to find the book you want, then use search 'My Items' on the Kindle to open that book.

G
Old 02-05-2010, 08:25 AM   #10
Scott Nielsen
Groupie
Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!Scott Nielsen goes to infinity... and beyond!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
Calibre will use whatever's in the Title field as the title for the book when it's sent to the device.

The Catalog feature, starting with the next release, displays series information, and organizes titles by author with series members sorted together. You could use the catalog to find the book you want, then use search 'My Items' on the Kindle to open that book.

G
Gotcha. I tried that the other day but ran into problem with generating the catalog. I shall look into it again - I did not spend any time attempting to analyze what went wrong.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
GRiker

Wait until 6.38 is released in the next couple of days. If you have any problems with Catalog generation, please report them in the sticky Catalog thread or file a ticket with a bug report.

G
Old 02-05-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
Scott Nielsen
Groupie

Cheers, G.