Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-12-2011, 05:02 AM   #1
Graham Coulson
Magic mushroom tester
Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2
Question Spelling: English (UK) versus English (US)

I have a question: I don't mean to offend any sensitivities about spelling or indeed grammar, but let's face it, there can be quite a difference between UK and US English and I was wondering if, when I finally make my first eBook purchase, does one have any choice of country in terms of the book's publishing? By this I mean, can one avoid US spelling such as color, favor etc?

Thanks in advance.

Graham.
Graham Coulson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Coulson View Post
I have a question: I don't mean to offend any sensitivities about spelling or indeed grammar, but let's face it, there can be quite a difference between UK and US English and I was wondering if, when I finally make my first eBook purchase, does one have any choice of country in terms of the book's publishing? By this I mean, can one avoid US spelling such as color, favor etc?
Well, theoretically you should find UK spelling in a book from a UK publisher and US spelling in a book from a US publisher. And in a sane world, you'd be able to choose whether to buy a book from a US publisher or a UK publisher, and so get your preferred version.

But with publishers enforcing the regional restrictions in their publishing contracts, your choice of publisher is probably restricted.

And even if you could choose, I 'm not sure how much care publishers are putting into doing trans-atlantic 'translations' these days.

The one book series I have paid attention to in this regard is Harry Potter. And there I think you would be rewarded by getting a UK version, when the ebooks eventually come out, and assuming that they do come in UK and US versions. (The US publisher has not only Americanised spellings, but has also made more significant changes in word choice, and even re-written a phrase or two.)

I think my rambling answer could be summarised as: Perhaps, but only if you're lucky.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
I've not encountered any ebooks that offered this.
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:23 AM   #4
Graham Coulson
Magic mushroom tester
Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham Coulson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Many thanks, pdurrant, for your very helpful, not in the least rambling, and full reply, which is much appreciated. You confirm my worst fears!

Kind regards.

Graham.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:05 AM   #5
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
I shall get annoyed when UK books have US spelling, but I've read US books for ages and just treat it as reading a familiar foreign language.

On a side note, have you noticed how the American spelling "skeptical" is creeping into the British media?
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2011, 06:43 AM   #6
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
On a side note, have you noticed how the American spelling "skeptical" is creeping into the British media?
Prove it!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:45 AM   #7
Graham Coulson
Magic mushroom tester

Yes, and worse still, expressions like "in back of..." and "look it"... YUK! (no disrespect to our Transatlantic cousins intended). I suppose you could say I'm a bit fanatical or obsessive to be so irritated by such a relatively insignificant thing, but I have to say that when I'm reading and am absorbed in a book, it gives my train of thought a real jolt in coming across a mis-spelt word or bad punctuation or poor grammar, which literally leaps off the page at me!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:50 AM   #8
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
which literally leaps off the page at me!
Cough...

(That literally leapt off the screen and knocked off my monocle. No, not really.)

Last edited by pdurrant; 09-12-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:01 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
British English for British books; American English for American books. That's what seems right to me.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:02 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Cough...

(That literally leapt off the screen and knocked off my glasses. No, not really.)
My head literally explodes when I see that!

HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #11
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
... but I have to say that when I'm reading and am absorbed in a book, it gives my train of thought a real jolt in coming across a mis-spelt word or bad punctuation or poor grammar, which literally leaps off the page at me!
Quality of ebooks vary. Be prepared.

I'm not sure ebooks are for you.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 07:15 AM   #12
Graham Coulson
Magic mushroom tester

I think I like the thought/picture of a monocle better than I do a can of Coke at this early hour!!
Old 09-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
I think I like the thought/picture of a monocle better than I do a can of Coke at this early hour!!
So did I. Thus the edit, which I thought no-one had noticed!
Old 09-12-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well I happen to be annoyed when I read a UK version of a book written by an American author and the spelling is changed to British English.
I love reading color, neighbor, endeavor, traveling, and of course skeptical
To me, "sceptical" seems strange. But I'd accept it if the author chose it.

In my opinion, maybe all books everywhere should be published with the spelling chosen by the author and no liberties should be taken by the publishers to alter the spelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
I shall get annoyed when UK books have US spelling, but I've read US books for ages and just treat it as reading a familiar foreign language.

Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 09:00 AM   #15
Ben Thornton
Guru

I rather like skeptic with a k, it's from the Greek after all.

Perhaps readers should come with software to apply personal preferences (although such software solutions can be hazardous - e.g. if used to attempt to read this thread!)