Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
kindle-dxg-owner
kindle-dxg-owner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Comic conversion problem (CBZ to PDF) on Kindle DX Graphite

Hi, I own a Kindle DX Graphite and used the output profile for the Kindle DX in Calibre (input profile is 'default', don't know the reason for an input profile anyway... )

Well, if I choose that profile and load the file on my reader and set the display to actual size (so there is no zooming involved) I get the following result:

If I set it to display to 'fit size', it zooms in (naturally), but the algorithms don't seem to be the best on this device - text distortion

I've tried the output profile for the IRex Digital 1000 and it provided better results - the image is actually a little bit bigger than the Kindle DX G area is, but the device does a better job shrinking images than zooming them in. Text is a little bit better with this, but still not as optimal as I'm used to when using my Sony PRS 505 and the appropriate profile - still too much strain reading the text bubbles because of letter distiortions.

Maybe the DX profile isn't really suited for the DX G (although display resolution should be exactly the same)?

And by the way, image quality seems better if I use mobi, but because of the large margins I don't want to...

Last edited by kindle-dxg-owner; 10-19-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: mistyping corrected
kindle-dxg-owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the screen size in the DX output profile is 741x1022
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 04:15 PM   #3
kindle-dxg-owner

Thanks for the fast response.

So maybe it's set too low in the profile?

I mean, if it were the correct resolution of the maximum of the area where pdf viewing is possible, it wouldn't be so small?

Would it be possible (and useful) to implement an input field, where the user can specify the size of the pdf pages in pixels (and not only in letter or a4 size and so on) for fine adjusting?

Well, by the way, great program! It retained the best image quality of processed images in contrary to other programs.
Worked very well with comics for the PRS 505 when converting to lrf *sigh*

edit: maybe it's because the 741 x 1022 is for mobi format? And can I edit the output profile somehow?

Last edited by kindle-dxg-owner; 10-19-2010 at 04:16 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
Old 10-19-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Its hard for me to know since I dont have a DX. The size I mentioned is the best size reported by a user. If you are willing to experiment to improve the size, then I'm happy to adjust it.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #5
kindle-dxg-owner

Great, thanks!

Well, I have measured the viewable area for a pdf on the Kindle DX G, and it is 18.8 cm in height, and 13 cm in width. Given the total height of 20.2 cm and width of 13.9 cm and a total resolution of 1200 px height and 825 width...

This would be 771x1116 px, but only for PDF. So maybe an extra profile only for PDF, because I could imagine it would give problems if conversions to mobi take place...

Thanks again!
Advert
Old 10-19-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Its not possible to have format specific profiles, you need to come up with the best possible size for MOBI.

Though if you really care about comics you should return your DX and get a SONY 900
Old 10-19-2010, 07:13 PM   #7
kindle-dxg-owner

Then I have to find a solution, the Sony PRS-900 has got only 7"
Thank you anyways Wish you a successful speech

Now just to anyone who may know about this: Can I edit the profile for myself? Such a small change should be able to be handled by a non-programmer like me? Do I have to install Python?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by kindle-dxg-owner; 10-19-2010 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
kindle-dxg-owner

OK I've setup the developing environment, where can I find the corresponding .py file where the resolution of the viewable area of the Kindle DX is set?

Thanks in advance!

--edit--

found the file, now trying to play with the settings...

Last edited by kindle-dxg-owner; 10-20-2010 at 07:17 AM. Reason: found file
Old 10-23-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
kindle-dxg-owner

These are the results I've come up with:

MOBI output:

PDF output:

I just changed the comic_size parameter to 771x1116 in the profiles.py in the Kindle DX profile section. Maybe the change is going to make it's way into the next version of Calibre.

For some small text it makes an important difference in terms of readability. More importantly, with the new set resolution the maximum of real screen estate in 'actual view' is used, so no resizing on the Kindle takes place - sharpness is improved.

I just wrote Amazon to give the Kindle DX a PDF full screen option independent from the zoom level (so no scroll bars etc would appear). We'll see if it makes it eventually into the firmware.

Right now, it's good enough for me to stay away from the internal picture viewer.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:56 AM   #10
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Kindle DX(G) resolution is 1200 x 824. However I would try to set output to a higher resolution and rely on device downsampling which indeed works better than upsampling.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
kindle-dxg-owner

Downsampling or upscaling - I rather avoid any of these. Half a centimeter more doesn't justify the quality loss in either of these two situations for me...