Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #31
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Me too, but I hate to nominate a book (TTTW) whose author refuses to allow it to be released as an e-book.

It is a good book, though, and I'd be pleased if it were selected.
Only books that can legally be obtained as ebooks are eligible for nomination. So, unless you can show me otherwise that disqualifies Time Traveler's Wife.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:41 AM   #32
colinsky
Addict
colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.colinsky ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
How are we defining "Romance"? I'm going to go on a stretch and nominate Anaïs Nin's Delta of Venus (Penguin Classics ebook) primarily because I've bought it but haven't yet gotten around to reading it!

edit...Adding Penguin's blurb

Quote:
In Delta of Venus Anaïs Nin conjures up a glittering cascade of sexual encounters. Creating her own 'language of the senses', she explores an area that was previously the domain of male writers and brings to it her own unique perceptions. Her vibrant and impassioned prose evokes the essence of female sexuality in a world where only love has meaning.

Last edited by colinsky; 01-19-2010 at 03:28 AM.
colinsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:20 AM   #33
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
Not legal to download in many countries, unfortunately.
Gone With the Wind was pre-loaded into my reader... So... surely... I can read it?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:29 AM   #34
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
I'll nominate (along with another person) Gone with the Wind! I have watched the movie several times, but never read the book
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:36 AM   #35
bookwurm70
Addict
bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.bookwurm70 considers 'yay' to be a thoroughly cromulent word.

Device: eSlick, Pocketbook IQ, iPad, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Gone with the Wind doesn't come in ebook either, but I'd be willing to overlook it for that and Possession.
http://www.ereader.com/ebooks/b52074/?si=59

I will also nominate GWTW. I just rewatched the movie this weekend and am wanting to reread the book again.

Last edited by bookwurm70; 01-19-2010 at 01:39 AM. Reason: add text
bookwurm70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:49 AM   #36
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Only books that can legally be obtained as ebooks are eligible for nomination. So, unless you can show me otherwise that disqualifies Time Traveler's Wife.

BOb
Oh, well. It would have been a good choice, but since the author feels that e-books make a mockery out of the reading experience in a way that big budget Hollywood movies don't, I guess we have to respect her wishes.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:09 AM   #37
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
This sounds like it would appeal to both sexes, an adventure and romance (plus it's free).

It Happened In Egypt

by Charles Norris Williamson (1859-1920) and Alice Muriel Williamson (1869-1933)

from LibriVox audio
Quote:
Lord Ernest Borrow and Captain Anthony Fenton think they know a secret – a secret that could make them both rich. En route, they are sidetracked by Sir Marcus Antonius Lark, a woman who thinks she’s Cleopatra reincarnate, a Gilded Rose of an American Heiress, and Mrs. Jones, a mysterious Irish woman with a past. Will they find the secret? Or will the trip up the Nile on the Enchantress Isis net them another discovery altogether? (summary by Sibella Denton)
From MR (uploaded by crutledge) mobi /prc - LRF - ePub
Quote:
Excerpt
The exciting part began in Cairo; but perhaps I ought to go back to what happened on the Laconia, between Naples and Alexandria. Luckily no one can expect a man who actually rejoices in his nickname of “Duffer” to know how or where a true story should begin.
The huge ship was passing swiftly out of the Bay of Naples, and already we were in the strait between Capri and the mainland. I had come on deck from the smoking-room for a last look at poor Vesuvius, who lost her lovely head in the last eruption.
at Manybooks in multiple formats
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:20 AM   #38
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
This sounds like it would appeal to both sexes, an adventure and romance (plus it's free).

It Happened In Egypt

by Charles Norris Williamson (1859-1920) and Alice Muriel Williamson (1869-1933)

from LibriVox audio

From MR (uploaded by crutledge) mobi /prc - LRF - ePub

at Manybooks in multiple formats
I second Dreams choice as the book sounds interesting - if not voted for I"ll read it anyway

Uuuuh - please please not GWTW - I read the book and fell asleep with it. Was hardcover and dropped on my nose - so not very happy memories there. But in the spirit of this year of course I would try and read it again
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:34 AM   #39
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Is there actually a good romance book that a real man will enjoy?
My thoughts too Jon. I'll follow along here but odds are I won't read...it's possible though.

So in the spirit....how about "Princess of Mars" by Edgar Rice Burroughs it's a romance of sorts.

I read "The accidental tourist" some time back. and enjoyed it. Gone With the Wind sounds like a great choice and I've never read it.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-19-2010 at 07:54 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:17 AM   #40
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll third The Accidental Tourist
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:41 AM   #41
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
May I suggest Eleanor of Aquitane: A Biography? It has romance and courtly love for the girls, and history and war for the boys. This version by Marion Meade is the best I've read http://www.amazon.com/Eleanor-Aquita...3381/ref=pd_64

Here is the blurb:

Quote:
A comprehensive account of the life of Eleanor of Aquitaine. The wife of King Louis VII of France and then of King Henry II of England, and mother to Richard Coeur de Lion and King John, she became the key political figure of the 12th century. Eleanor's long life inspired a number of legends. At twenty-five she set out for the Holy Land as a Crusader and at seventy-eight she crossed the Pyreness to Spain to fetch the granddaughter whose marriage would be, she hoped, a pledge of peace between England and France. This is a compassionate biography of this charismatic queen and the world she ruled over. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Last edited by DixieGal; 01-19-2010 at 08:46 AM. Reason: I've been an Eleanor fan since seeing "The Lion in Winter" as a young girl.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #42
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

OH! OH! Here's my recommendation for February's book: His Robot Girlfriend by MobileRead's own Wesley Allison (HistoryWes). As a bonus, the e-book is free at Smashwords.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #43
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
OH! OH! Here's my recommendation for February's book: His Robot Girlfriend by MobileRead's own Wesley Allison (HistoryWes). As a bonus, the e-book is free at Smashwords.
In addition, I think folks who have read it will agree that the sci-fi takes a back seat to the romantic element in this book.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:39 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
I'll nominate (along with another person) Gone with the Wind! I have watched the movie several times, but never read the book
As was pointed out, Gone with the Wind is not legally available in the US. So that should disqualify it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #45
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
I will second that nomination.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote