Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-16-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

Device: Nook 1, Aluratek Libre Pro,Kobo Wi-Fi, Samsung Galaxy Tab, KoboT, NST
My Glow light plus is super sensitive. Is yours?

My question is in the subject line. I hold my NGLP in my left hand and tap in the lower right corner of the screen to turn to the next page. Occasionally the Nook will suddenly go back to the previous page while I am reading.

I have figured out that when my left thumb is resting on the white screen border it triggers a move to the prior page. I thought only the left corner touch of the SCREEN should do that?

Do I have a Nook lemon or is this normal? If normal then it is a pain in the butt to hold the Nook by the metal edges while reading. Argh.

Last edited by SonDan1; 01-16-2016 at 09:05 PM.
SonDan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:11 PM   #2
phardy
phardy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Nook Glowlight Plus, Kobo Forma
The whole left edge of the screen responds to a tap to page back, and the whole right edge for page forward -- not just the lower corner.

I have my Glowlight Plus in one of those book-like covers. I flip the cover under, hold the Nook in my left hand, and place the middle of my thumb on the top side of the metal rail, halfway between top and bottom. I don't get accidental page-flips.
phardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 03:45 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by phardy View Post
The whole left edge of the screen responds to a tap to page back, and the whole right edge for page forward -- not just the lower corner.
I hadn't heard this before ... is this how the new Nook is supposed to work?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 08:06 AM   #4
phardy
phardy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Nook Glowlight Plus, Kobo Forma
Mine works that way. Now you've got me wondering...

I found and opened the "Nook Glowlight Plus User Guide" in the library. On page 23 it states that to turn to the next page, you either "Tap anywhere along the right edge of the page" or swipe from the right half of the page to the left. On page 24 it states that to turn to the previous page either "Tap anywhere along the left edge of the page" or swipe from the left half of the page to the right.

I'm guessing from your reaction that this is a change from earlier models.
phardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:24 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by phardy View Post
Mine works that way. Now you've got me wondering...

I found and opened the "Nook Glowlight Plus User Guide" in the library. On page 23 it states that to turn to the next page, you either "Tap anywhere along the right edge of the page" or swipe from the right half of the page to the left. On page 24 it states that to turn to the previous page either "Tap anywhere along the left edge of the page" or swipe from the left half of the page to the right.

I'm guessing from your reaction that this is a change from earlier models.
The Nook models I own are two generations back (Nook Simple Touch and Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight). Those two models had specific buttons on the either side that were page forward (top) and page back (bottom) but they could be changed to the opposite directions in settings. I assumed that the original Glowlight model (last generation) had no buttons at all -- I thought it was like the Kindle Touch and Paperwhites (and maybe it is, I don't know). I just assumed the newest Nook Glowlight Plus would be the same. Actually, if the edges are not too sensitive, I would like this feature a lot. I just had no clue that it existed. (I'm going to take another look at this Nook at the store.)

Thanks for the quotes from the manual.

EDIT: It looks like I misread your response. I thought "edges" referred to the bezel -- now I'm realizing it refers to the actual screen. Sorry.

Last edited by rcentros; 01-21-2016 at 02:27 AM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 01:15 AM   #6
SonDan1
Connoisseur
SonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it isSonDan1 knows what time it is

This is the original poster and my Nook works just like it us supposed when touching the glass as you say. But, in addition pages turn when I hold onto the beige colored bezel.That is my dilemma that I was writing about. Therefore I can not hold the Nook in my left hand normally without the pages jumping backwards
Old 02-08-2016, 01:14 AM   #7
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Every eink Nook with a touch screen has operated the same in regard to which direction touching the screen would take you. Just as with how the US traditionally reads left to right, top to bottom, so to does the Nook treat ebooks.

For the NGLP you should bear in mind a major change in design, they changed it to capacitive touch as opposed to infrared. This allows the bezel to be flush with the screen, and is likely what is causing your issue. I'd bet your finger is brushing over the edge of the bezel on to the screen, which wouldn't be an issue for previous touch screen eink Nooks, because you'd still have to move the tip of your finger down to trigger the sensor.

I'd try holding the NGLP in the crook of your thumb and pointer, line your thumb along the left or right bezel, and when you want to go forward either swipe (if you're holding it in your left hand), or tap (if you're holding it in your right).

You're free to try tapping or swiping in reverse to what I suggested, but I imagine it'd be less than ideal.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:22 PM   #8
SonDan1
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonDan1 View Post
This is the original poster and my Nook works just like it us supposed when touching the glass as you say. But, in addition pages turn when I hold onto the beige colored bezel.That is my dilemma that I was writing about. Therefore I can not hold the Nook in my left hand normally without the pages jumping backwards
Well I have gone back to my original Nook Simple Touch with buttons on the bezel. This is comfortable to hold and no accidental page turns. I think My Glow light plus plus is either a lemon or of just bad design.