Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 04-18-2008, 07:53 AM   #1
Roberts324
Mad translator
Roberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enough

Device: eBookwise 1150 reader, Samsung E60 reader, SAMSUNG N150 netbook
GEB/EBW1150 bookshelf change in Librarian

Has anyone been able to change the Librarian bookshelves from the device?

When I try to, I get a message to the effect that "The requested document or page could not be located. You may wish do advise your content administrator..."

I discovered this supposed "feature" just after buying the librarian program and wrote to the author about it, but got no answer. It seems that this piece of software, though not free, is not supported...
Roberts324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberts324 View Post
Has anyone been able to change the Librarian bookshelves from the device?

When I try to, I get a message to the effect that "The requested document or page could not be located. You may wish do advise your content administrator..."

I discovered this supposed "feature" just after buying the librarian program and wrote to the author about it, but got no answer. It seems that this piece of software, though not free, is not supported...
Hi Robert:

Yes, you can change bookshelves from within the EBW 1150 with GEBLibrarian running.

Follow these steps:
There should be a book catgegory called 'GEB eBook Librarian' at the top of the Online Bookshelf display screen.

Then there should be one 'eBook' listed there called 'Select Bookshelf - currently [ ... ]' with author 'breeno.org'.

If you click that eBook, you should get 'Thank you for using the GEB eBook Librarian ' at the top, with the different Bookshelves available below the text 'To change bookshelves, please tap on one of the following:'

After you tap any of the Bookshelf names listed, it will display a message indicating that the bookshelf has been changed to that name and that you should tap 'Online Bookshelf' (via the icon) again.

Your newly selected bookshelf should now be listed.
What went wrong in your situation seems to indicate a communication error. Consider these (your answers should all be 'yes'):
- Can you transfer an eBook BEFORE trying to change bookshelves?
- Do you have more than one bookshelf?
- Is your copy registered?
- Did you start the GEBLibrarian BEFORE turning on the EBW 1150?
- Does the eBook USB tray icon look like a tree?

The author was truly dedicated and driven as he created such a wonderful program and even had a great forum set up to exchange ideas. Alas, all seems abandoned now.

It is sad that there is no support these days. The program could have evolved into something greater!

He seems to have lost 'interest' after GEBLibrarian was re-branded and sold as the 'eBookwise Librarian'.

But look on the brighter side, at least now I'm here, notched knife and all...

Last edited by nrapallo; 04-18-2008 at 10:13 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2008, 03:47 AM   #3
Roberts324
Mad translator
Roberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enoughRoberts324 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Hi Robert:
Follow these steps:
There should be a book catgegory called 'GEB eBook Librarian' at the top of the Online Bookshelf display screen.

I have that.
Quote:
Then there should be one 'eBook' listed there called 'Select Bookshelf - currently [ ... ]' with author 'breeno.org'.
Correct.
Quote:
If you click that eBook, you should get 'Thank you for using the GEB eBook Librarian ' at the top, with the different Bookshelves available below the text 'To change bookshelves, please tap on one of the following:'

After you tap any of the Bookshelf names listed, it will display a message indicating that the bookshelf has been changed to that name and that you should tap 'Online Bookshelf' (via the icon) again.

It is not; instead, I have that spurious message.
Quote:
What went wrong in your situation seems to indicate a communication error. Consider these (your answers should all be 'yes'):
- Can you transfer an eBook BEFORE trying to change bookshelves?
Yes.
Quote:
- Do you have more than one bookshelf?
Yes.
Quote:
- Is your copy registered?
Yes.
Quote:
- Did you start the GEBLibrarian BEFORE turning on the EBW 1150?
Yes.
Quote:
- Does the eBook USB tray icon look like a tree?
I do not have such icon. The only related icon there is is the USB driver's; it looks like a crooked Eiffel tower, and the bubble says "connected". Is it what you are refering to?
Quote:
The author was truly dedicated and driven as he created such a wonderful program and even had a great forum set up to exchange ideas. Alas, all seems abandoned now. It is sad that there is no support these days. The program could have evolved into something greater! He seems to have lost 'interest' after GEBLibrarian was re-branded and sold as the 'eBookwise Librarian'.
Well, he may not be dead, since he took my good money?
Quote:
But look on the brighter side, at least now I'm here, notched knife and all...
Indeed!
However, I still have this (minor) problem and do not know why...
Old 04-25-2008, 05:13 AM   #4
Roberts324
Mad translator

That's me again. I have been investigating this problem further, and I found a whole can of worms. Here goes:

Just before I received my 1150, bought on eBay, I had investigated and downloaded the necessary software, i.e. USB drivers and Librarians. Consequently, I had both the GEB Librarian and the EBookwise Librarian. Since I had registered with Breeno and thought the programs were the same (the registration number works for either program), I only used the GEB Librarian, and an USB driver that was, I think, version 3.

What I just discovered, to my astonishment:

- GEB Librarian, as downloaded form Breeno's, is version 1.2 build 370

- EBW Librarian, as downloaded from http://www.ebookwise.com/librarian/help/, is version 2, build 65, apparently a more recent version ! But this, by the way, does not prove in any way that it is a more recent version, if different numbering schemes have been used.

- On the same page at http://www.ebookwise.com/librarian/help/, there is a link, http://www.breeno.org/eBook/Windows_eBookUSB.exe, that points to a version of the USB driver that reads, in its "about" box, as version 1 (year 2002, loooong ago!).

- But at eBookTechnologies, the driver's box reads "version 3".

After reinstalling eBookwise Librarian and the "version 3" driver (can't access my 1150 with version 1), I am now unable to access the 1150 in any way!

I do not doubt that by removing and reinstalling the proper software in the proper order (a reference to the order of reinstallation for the Librarian and eBook Publsher you mentionned), this will work anew in the end.

But could you please tell me what are the most current versions of the software, and in what order they should be installed, this for the USB driver, the Librarian (which one should I use?), and EBT's eBook Publisher?

Your answer could make a nice "sticky" out of that mess, I think...
Old 04-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I do not have such icon. The only related icon there is is the USB driver's; it looks like a crooked Eiffel tower, and the bubble says "connected". Is it what you are refering to?
Yes, the icon when NOT connected looks like an Eiffel tower. The 'bubble' when you hover your mouse over it should say 'eBook: not connected.'

Mine is version 3.00 as download from the eBook Technologies support website. I remember replacing my old USB driver when eBook Technologies made that version 3.00 available.

Now, what I do is with no 1150 connected and the USB driver 'Eiffel tower' (not connected) icon:

1. Start GEBLibrarian (I have version 1.2 build 370) and wait for it to finish (assumes the USB Driver program is 'running' and in the 'Eiffel tower' mode.) Tap the About box, it should say at the bottom 'IP address is <192.168.X.YYY>, listening on port <9090>'

2. Plug your USB cable to the computer side (IMPORTANT: If using 2.0 USB ports, see if have any 1.1 USB ports or different USB ports you can test with)

3. With the eBookwise 1150 in the off state, plug the USB into the 1150.

4. Turn on the 1150.

5. The USB driver icon in the Windows tray should now look like the 'Eiffel tower' has grown upward branches. It is broadcasting...

6. For my Settings/Phone Connection, I have the following:
-HTTP proxy address address: 192.168.X.YYY where X is usually 0 or 1 and YYY is your PC IP address' last octal (as assigned by your router)
- HTTP proxy port: 9090
- for what its worth, I now seem to have BOTH 'Use HTTP proxy' and 'Use proxy for USB' unchecked. This way when GEBLibraian is running, I am acessing my local Bookshelves, and when GEBLibrarian is not running, the ETI servers. (I remember checking these in the beginning, but had too many hardware faults/crashes, so left them unchecked. It works for me!)

7. Go to Settings/Network Information and you should see that 'USB Link Status: up' and 'Connection type: USB' and 'n/a' network IP adddress info, if GEBLibrarian is running.

8. Go to your 'Online Bookshelf' tab and GEBLibrarian should have a message that it's 'responding to a ebook bookshelf listing request'.

After having said this, you, sir, have way too many different versions of everything ebookwise related (like me) . I seem to recall you having to shut down to re-install eBook Publisher software, so something is adrift in your PC. (Don't worry, it can ALL be made to work harmoniously, mine does )

Moral of the Story: use USB driver version 3.00 (preferrably with a 1.1 USB port on the computer) and get it working or else your 1150 will be mute!

Last edited by nrapallo; 04-25-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Advert
Old 04-27-2008, 06:35 AM   #6
Roberts324
Mad translator

Quote:
Moral of the Story[/B]: use USB driver version 3.00 (preferrably with a 1.1 USB port on the computer) and get it working or else your 1150 will be mute!
I have uninstalled the whole thing (USB driver, the two Librarians programs, Ebook Publisher), erased the relevant directories, suppressed keys using regedit, and reinstalled the version 3 USB driver, the v1.2 GEBLibrarian, and EBT's eBook Publisher.

Now, everything works as before, except the "change bookshelves" function. When I use it, nothing appears in the Librarian's window at the bottom, and I still get the error message I wrote about...

So my conclusion is that there is still something to find - though it is not a serious problem at al.

Ok, I ran more tests and confirm the above: I have installed the driver and GEBLibrarian on another computer which is permanently online. In order to have the 1150 to connect, I had to stop the Apache Server that runs on it.

The behaviour is the same; the remote bookshelves are seen and listed from the device, but there is no way they can be changed, though the correct option has been checked in GEBL, and the program has been restarted, as is indicated when you check or uncheck that option.

So far, this behaviour is repeatable. However, I checked that when you try to change shelves, the GEBLibrarian is aware of it, and says it received a command, but not which one... Hence I conclude the problem could be with the version of the reader's software.

Here is the information I get when I rin "info" then "more" on the device:
Viewer: 4.2f17 SN: GC0000389045.

Do you think this software version is current?
Old 04-27-2008, 06:53 AM   #7
nrapallo

Quote:
Now, everything works as before, except the "change bookshelves" function. When I use it, nothing appears in the Librarian's window at the bottom, and I still get the error message I wrote about...

So my conclusion is that there is still something to find - though it is not a serious problem at al.
At least, now, you have restored your main functionality! Changing bookshelves from the EBW1150 is now "just a frill"

Quote:
However, I checked that when you try to change shelves, the GEBLibrarian is aware of it, and says it received a command, but not which one... Hence I conclude the problem could be with the version of the reader's software.

Here is the information I get when I rin "info" then "more" on the device:
Viewer: 4.2f17 SN: GC0000389045.

Do you think this software version is current?
My EBW1150 has older firmware i.e. Viewer: 4.1f43 and a different SerialNumber

Make sure you do complete the 'change bookshelves' by doing the part in bold below:
Quote:
Follow these steps:

This last step is done solely on the EBW1150 and basically retreives the new bookshelf as 'served' by GEBLibrarian.

If you did that last (bold) step, then I am at a loss to understand what else could be interfering here.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:31 AM   #8
Roberts324
Mad translator

Quote:
If you did that last (bold) step, then I am at a loss to understand what else could be interfering here.
I did - and have been doing so for weeks - but it won't work. And this, on two different XP machines...

No idea why.