Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 05:55 PM   #241
8ender
8ender began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Noticed a small bug: If you open an ebook and while the busy icon is splitting power the Kobo down, then it'll turn off still displaying the page of the book. On power up it'll ask you to set up the device.

I'm using fw 1.9.2 r29037

Last edited by 8ender; 06-15-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Adding firmware version
8ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:56 PM   #242
8ender

Perhaps I just can't find it, but it seems you're unable to use the touch screen to change page if you're viewing a PDF that you zoomed in on.

Last edited by 8ender; 06-15-2011 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Adding FW version.
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #243
8ender

Any particular reason the Kobo doesn't support WPS?
The purpose of WPS was for devices like this to be able to be easily registered with a wifi network.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:28 PM   #244
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ender View Post
Perhaps I just can't find it, but it seems you're unable to use the touch screen to change page if you're viewing a PDF that you zoomed in on.

You can, it's just tricky. You need to move the page all the way to the left and a white arrow will appear on a black band up the right side of the screen that will let you change page. Not perfect at all, but it does work.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #245
distorteddisco
Enthusiast
distorteddisco began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
A simple notepad application would be stellar. I've thought of writing one myself but I'm garbage at Qt.

If nothing else, it'd be nice to note down titles of books or something like that.

EDIT: this is touch-specific I guess
distorteddisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2011, 07:25 PM   #246
ArmorDog
Connoisseur
ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ArmorDog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi and Kobo Touch and Kobo Glo and Kobo H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by larrymohr View Post
I've tried out the Kobo Touch at Indigo a couple of times now, and I find that it is difficult to turn pages one handed. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. I had the idea that you could add an item to the menu that comes up when you tap the center of the screen while inside a book.

HOME=HOME

which toggles with

HOME=NEXT PAGE

This would allow users to have a HARD button for page turning. Because the HOME button in in the center of the unit, it would be easy to use for both left and right handed people. It would also give a reliable method of page turning when using one or both hands.

You could further restrict the function to only when inside of a book. Once outside a book, or even when the menu is showing, the HOME button would function as normal.

It wouldn't affect the ability to go HOME since that shows up on the menu at the bottom of the screen when you touch in the center.

I see in the forums that several people would have liked HARD page turn buttons and hope they may be added to the next unit. This way you have a HARD page turn functionality with the current Kobo Touch. You do not need a last page since we mostly read from front to back and the touch page turn will still work for turning to a previous page.

Larry Mohr ( KOBO 1 user )

PS. As a final note the new Kobo Touch is quite a nice little unit.

Larry Mohr

I really like this idea.
ArmorDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:29 PM   #247
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ender View Post
Noticed a small bug: If you open an ebook and while the busy icon is splitting power the Kobo down, then it'll turn off still displaying the page of the book. On power up it'll ask you to set up the device.

I wonder if this is what my wife did last week by mistake.. She was happily using the unit, claimed to go to Document view and then.... it was wiped out.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 01:46 AM   #248
8ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
You can, it's just tricky. You need to move the page all the way to the left and a white arrow will appear on a black band up the right side of the screen that will let you change page. Not perfect at all, but it does work.
Hah, I was zooming in too much and only scrolling to the of the page. Yah, not perfect but it exists. Thanks.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:24 AM   #249
portablejim
Enthusiast
portablejim has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorDog View Post
If anyone affiliated with Kobo is still reading this thread:
Are there any plans to have highlighting/dictionary support for sideloaded epubs?
Is it just too much of a technical nightmare with all the various ways an epub could be constructed?

I just want to know if it's something I should look forward to or if I should just get over it and enjoy my Kobo. Thanks. =]
I want to know the same thing.
portablejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:44 AM   #250
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablejim View Post
I want to know the same thing.
It's possible.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:06 PM   #251
8ender

language look up

It'd be great to have a feature here you can load translation dictionaries and use the highlight feature with that when reading foreign language books.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #252
oldgeezer
oldgeezer began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Thumbs up Have the button be Home/Next page

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmorDog View Post
I really like this idea.
This is a really great idea and should be fairly easy to code.
oldgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #253
Lordvic
Connoisseur
Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.Lordvic has met Morla.

Device: Blackberry Playbook
I know it's a long shot. Remapable buttons on the Kobo Wifi.

The device is extremely.... non ambidextrious. I know i've posted this before. But being a lefty is a royal pain in the... Hand.

I grew up heavily reading. And i hold my books with my left hand. Usually one handed. I go for long periods of time in a sitting reading. and sitting there 2 handed the entire time is rather silly.

But with the current navigation buttons being on the right side, it is impossible to one handed turn the page. my thumb just isn't 7" long!

But there are 4 buttons on the left side, in reach of my fingers! That "Shop" button which ithink i've pressed all of one time out of curiosity is a perfectly good button for turning the page. The store is accessible in many different places, that remapping this button would be a godsend for me.

Even the touch doesn't remedy the Left handed issue as to turn to the next page (instead of previous) you need to touch the right side of the page, which is a long way away from my left hand on the device.

my only other feature request would be to bring the social media aspect that is in the touch to the wifi. is the old hardware incapable of handling it? or just a "future update"

Also: we enter a time. it's got a clock internally. Yet the only place i have ever seen the time displayed in the kobo is in the options menu where we set it.
why not have it in the menu when you pop it up. or something.

Last edited by Lordvic; 06-16-2011 at 03:06 PM.
Lordvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:15 AM   #254
baselworld
baselworld began at the beginning.

Device: aldiko
A separate pdf section

Would like to see a separate pdf section instead of including it in the documents section. A dedicated pdf section that can be sorted like in the book section via title or author.
baselworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 10:50 AM   #255
stef70
stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.stef70 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
I am not a lefty myself but Lordvic post gave me an idea: What yould you think of a mode that rotates the screen by 180 degrees? The 4 way buttons would end up on the top left and they wold have to be rotated too to be useful.

I do not know how the screen is managed in the Kobo but the implementation may actually be a easier than remaping several buttons.
stef70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo