Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #1
river
river began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Importing my Library Question

Hey guys,

Once I've imported my library to Calibre, do I retain my original source directory structure of files, or do I just use the Calibre directory and delete the originals?

I'd keep the original but I don't understand how Calibre would pick up changes to the source directories without me manually adding each new file.

Also should I use the new beta for my first import or the stable release, my files are a mixture of pdf, doc, txt and I have about 1000 to do.

Cheers.
river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
myle00
Connoisseur
myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.myle00 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Palm Treo
Calibre makes copies of the files and than structures the copies in its own way. Once the files are imported there is no more connection to the original files. Nothing you do there will be seen by Calibre. The only reason to keep the originals is for backup. But whatever you do there you'll have to redo in Calibre since Calibre won't monitor the originals.

M
myle00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
river

Thankyou I understand now, I think I'll just use the Calibre directory structure.
Old 06-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
Thankyou I understand now, I think I'll just use the Calibre directory structure.
I absolutely love Calibre, and I am sticking with it. However, accidents can happen, if not Calibre, then in user error. Disk space is cheap. I think I would be inclined to keep a backup somewhere. Preferably on another disk, but if not at least in a different directory. If I was you, I probably wouldn't erase the original folder. If the original has some complex directory structure, maybe I'd convert it to a flat folder (ie, no subdirectories) first, then keep that as my backup.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 02:54 AM   #5
river

Thanks, I'll keep the source directory as a backup. When I add new books, I'll copy them to the source directory, go into calibre and add files, sorting by date/time in the file dialog box, to pick up the latest ones.

I can see that I may miss the odd book by doing this, as it's not automated, unless anyone has a better suggestion for this..
Advert
Old 06-22-2009, 03:15 AM   #6
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by river View Post
Thanks, I'll keep the source directory as a backup. When I add new books, I'll copy them to the source directory, go into calibre and add files, sorting by date/time in the file dialog box, to pick up the latest ones.

I can see that I may miss the odd book by doing this, as it's not automated, unless anyone has a better suggestion for this..
That's pretty much what I do.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
Just, FYI...

Backing up to magnetic media (hard drive, floppy disk, flash drive, etc) is generally much more reliable over time than any type of optical media (CD, DVD, Blu-ray, etc).

The average optical disk has a life expectancy of 5-10 years with a decent, and consistent, level of care. For many users this level of care is impractical. Everyday use, or constant temperature and humidity levels (among other things), make optical archives unreliable for the average user. Media will therefore be damaged in less time - providing a less accurate, or completely unreadable, copy.

Multiple copies can help alleviate the problem, but are not a guarantee.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote