Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
PRS 700 perfect for old people

Maybe some of you have the same "problem" a well loved person, that get's older and looses more and more the abilities he/she used to have.

A short while ago I made my granny extremly happy. More or less by coincidance. She is 93 and lives in a riterement residence. Can hardly walk anymore, hears very bad and her eyes are bad too.

When I visit her, she loves it, if I read her something from books or magazines. A while ago I wanted to show her my new "toy" my PRS 700. First she said, she is to old for that kind of modern stuff. So we fooled around with it and I showed her, that you can change the size of the letters.
Suddenly her face lighted up and she said, that she can read that. So she spend at first a while reading in size xl. Of course not much on the screen than .

I showed her how to flip the pages and it worked very good. Basicly it is very easy to continue reading a book. You just have to switch the reader on on the top. Tip with your finger in the upper left corner and voila, here you are, being exactly on the page where you stopped reading.

Flipping pages is no problem for her old fingers, she has only a little problem switching the device or the lights on, but there is always someone there, that could help.

She realy enjoyed reading again by herself! I left the reader with her and when I came the next day, she was reading. I took it home with me and loaded some classic books on it.

Of course she cannot change books. At least not now. But we visit her a lot and when ever she wants to start a new book, she can tell me. She loves the "modern" thing very much, since it brings back a little quality in life for her.
Of course I have the problem now, that my reader stays very often in the retirement residence. So we will probably get one for her. Guess the PRS 700 is the only one, that comes up for that job, since it is the only one with a touchscreen.

Every other reader has to small buttons. Until now, she gets along with the reader very well. And she has something to brag around in the retirement residence. She is the star of the show there .

Hope I don't have to order a bunch of PRS 700 readers now in the States, since you cannot buy them over here.

But for all who have old folks, just try it!
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #2
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I think the 700 is the most usable device on the marked. its so easy to pick up and use. it is very intuitive.

the 505s menu is positively clunky. and the kindle is barely better.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #3
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
First you have to get us to admit that we are old!
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
::raising hand::
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Alphapheemail
.a ribbon around a bomb.
Alphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura aboutAlphapheemail has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
First you have to get us to admit that we are old!
well by my logic...
you have a palm... florida...
HEY you might be half way there....
Alphapheemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 12:57 PM   #6
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
I think adding in the functionality of the kindle (wireless downloads of books) with the ease of use of the 700 could be a big market for Sony. Older people won't know how to go on their computer and download books but having a quick ability to look for books on your device and download them right away would be good for them, they also wouldn't have to worry about small fonts in printed books.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #7
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Good point junkyardwillie
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:37 PM   #8
mos
Addict
mos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it ismos knows what time it is

Device: iphone 4, iPad, Nook softrooted
No, I don't think so. Maybe our generation will be able to handle that, but not the "old" generation. I don't think my granny would be able to download a book or search a book online.
She is happy, if I select one for her.
mos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Yes, but think of it as a present for a grandparent. You don't give them a dvd player and tell them "I will come and press play for you everytime you want to see a movie".

The idea of an intuitive interface for online purchases might have an appeal there. Frankly I don't want wifi but as a saling point "for the elderly" it might have benefits.
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:55 PM   #10
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
True indeed, I usually find Wifi a bit overrated. Unless I'm in my apartment I've yet to find a good free wifi signal. I think its becoming standard practice to have it sort of like 10 megapixels on a digital camera, most people would be fine with 6 and don't even know what the megapixels do anyway but they see a high number and have to have it. Wifi is the same with electronic devices, most people will never use it but feel cheated if their device doesn't have it.

As a present for a grandparent you could probably just load it up with a 100 or so books and that will keep them happy for a few months, then once their done just reload it up. Personally I like connecting to my PC better than needing to find a Wifi signal but everyone is different with their electronics
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:20 PM   #11
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Mos, that's a wonderful story! I'm sure your granny loves both that you share your Reader with her and that you come to visit her often enough to switch out the books.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 02:17 AM   #12
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
having a wireless connection on a device is a good thing. even if they don't get how to browse.

you can just PUSH books onto it when you buy it for them
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:10 AM   #13
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Great story! I'd like to see if my parents (70s and 80s) would try it. I offered to set them up with audiobooks and an mp3 player, but I think it reminded them too much of the "audio-records" my blind grandmother had to listen to many years ago.

Maybe when I visit in the fall I can show them. I think the 5" screen is too small, but perhaps the Kindle DX? Since they are in the US it would be OK for them and I'm certain they'd be just fine with sticking to Kindle-store ebook purchases.

Does the Kindle DX have the read-aloud feature or has that been cancelled?
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:04 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm slightly puzzled why it is that your granny cannot change books. If she can read the text, she can also read a menu, surely?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:37 AM   #15
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm slightly puzzled why it is that your granny cannot change books. If she can read the text, she can also read a menu, surely?
It's often more complicated than that... You have to do this first, then this, and finally this... That set of instructions often gets harder and harder to remember. And reading is just reading the text and going to the next page. Only one thing to remember (how do I get to the next page).

I really need to have a reader before I see my mother again. She now listens to a lot of audiobooks, because she has trouble reading (let's just say, I'm so glad I don't have my mother's eyes...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote