Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 03-25-2011, 08:47 AM   #166
tschill
tschill began at the beginning.

Device: Craig
Backup

How do I backup the ROM before I flash? Anyone?

Thanks,

Tom
tschill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:53 AM   #167
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by roc View Post
Odd spec of Flash 8 - I am thinking some version of 10 is what is being put on most other Froyo tablets.

Here is the link to Craig's spec page, and note that it has a link for downloading Android 2.1 image for recovery purposes, so that is another oddity here.

FWIW
The thing about the link on their page is that it doesn't actually work. It's just a link back to their homepage.

I'll e-mail the customer service contact I have and see if I can get the update. I'm not sure it's worth it, though. As you noted, it's an older version of Flash, and there's already a Froyo custom build for the tablet (although I haven't tried it in a while).
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 12:17 PM   #168
Harpmaker
Harpmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Literati
Hi folks, new here and new to tablets in general. I have a problem I hope you can explain and perhaps cure.

I recently bought a Craig 738a, mostly for viewing photos and videos, and was quite pleased with it. However, I wanted to access the Android Market so I was preparing to do a ROM upgrade. Being safety minded I wanted to backup the current data and ROM in case something went wrong so I was following the instructions given here. Everything went fine until I installed and used Z4Root. I think running that program bricked by 738a. Even though I had chosen, per directions, to have Z4Root install a temporary root, rebooting the tablet did nothing.

The problem is that after I power up the unit, after unlocking the unit at the "Welcome screen" (or whatever this is properly called) I get the error message "The process com.google.process.gapps has stopped working as expected. Please try again." At this point the only thing I can do is press "Force close". When I do that another error message is displayed reading "The process android.process.acore has stopped working as expected. Please try again." and again the only thing I can do is press "Force close" which causes the screen to go black (except for the top line containing the time), the same error message pops up, the wallpaper pops up behind the message and then the normal icons pop up being the error message.

Other than this activity the tablet is totally non-responsive, I can't even get into settings to deactivate USB Host mode to hook it to a PC.

I can press and hold the power button which will open the normal "device options" window under the error message and after pressing "Force close" I can power down the unit as normal, but that's it.

Is there any way to resurrect this unit or is it permanently bricked? As far as I can deduce the problem is due to running the Z4Root program.

To stay on-topic with the main forum, I do intend to use my 738a as an eBook reader, but that job is currently being filled by my $40 Literati. OK, quit your snickerin', that little reader has worked fine for me.
Harpmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #169
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpmaker View Post
Hi folks, new here and new to tablets in general. I have a problem I hope you can explain and perhaps cure.

I recently bought a Craig 738a, mostly for viewing photos and videos, and was quite pleased with it. However, I wanted to access the Android Market so I was preparing to do a ROM upgrade. Being safety minded I wanted to backup the current data and ROM in case something went wrong so I was following the instructions given here. Everything went fine until I installed and used Z4Root. I think running that program bricked by 738a. Even though I had chosen, per directions, to have Z4Root install a temporary root, rebooting the tablet did nothing.

The problem is that after I power up the unit, after unlocking the unit at the "Welcome screen" (or whatever this is properly called) I get the error message "The process com.google.process.gapps has stopped working as expected. Please try again." At this point the only thing I can do is press "Force close". When I do that another error message is displayed reading "The process android.process.acore has stopped working as expected. Please try again." and again the only thing I can do is press "Force close" which causes the screen to go black (except for the top line containing the time), the same error message pops up, the wallpaper pops up behind the message and then the normal icons pop up being the error message.

Other than this activity the tablet is totally non-responsive, I can't even get into settings to deactivate USB Host mode to hook it to a PC.

I can press and hold the power button which will open the normal "device options" window under the error message and after pressing "Force close" I can power down the unit as normal, but that's it.

Is there any way to resurrect this unit or is it permanently bricked? As far as I can deduce the problem is due to running the Z4Root program.

To stay on-topic with the main forum, I do intend to use my 738a as an eBook reader, but that job is currently being filled by my $40 Literati. OK, quit your snickerin', that little reader has worked fine for me.
Even if you can't get into host mode, you should be able to get into recovery mode. Hold down Power + Home at the same time while you're plugging in the Craig to the USB. Then you should be able to flash the unit with the firmware, resurrecting it. I recommend flashing it with this firmware. The flashing tool can be found here.

Let me know if you need help. Basically, you're going to run RKBatchUpgrade.exe and choose your img file as the Image to feed the program. After a few minutes, your unit should be flashed, and you should be good to go.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #170
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschill View Post
How do I backup the ROM before I flash? Anyone?

Thanks,

Tom
TikaC has made an excellent tutorial for backing up the ROM. You can find that here.
Advert
Old 03-25-2011, 02:44 PM   #171
Harpmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
Even if you can't get into host mode, you should be able to get into recovery mode. Hold down Power + Home at the same time while you're plugging in the Craig to the USB. Then you should be able to flash the unit with the firmware, resurrecting it. I recommend flashing it with this firmware. The flashing tool can be found here.

Let me know if you need help. Basically, you're going to run RKBatchUpgrade.exe and choose your img file as the Image to feed the program. After a few minutes, your unit should be flashed, and you should be good to go.
Thanks for the reply. I basically did what you suggested, but I followed the directions I found here where Miss Spacy had a similar problem to mine. Like her, when I plugged my 738a into the PC (even after loading the driver for it) it never showed up in a window or as a drive. Using the RKBatchUpgrade program did the trick and I'm now running the 4.3 firmware.

Did Z4Root zap my 738a or was it just coincidence? I see you have recommended those same backup instructions.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:31 PM   #172
valarie
valarie began at the beginning.

Device: craig touchscreen
has anyone tried the new viewsonic tablet and what is it like?????
valarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:25 PM   #173
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I basically did what you suggested, but I followed the directions I found here where Miss Spacy had a similar problem to mine. Like her, when I plugged my 738a into the PC (even after loading the driver for it) it never showed up in a window or as a drive. Using the RKBatchUpgrade program did the trick and I'm now running the 4.3 firmware.

Did Z4Root zap my 738a or was it just coincidence? I see you have recommended those same backup instructions.
Honestly, I'm not sure what caused your problem. I'm pretty sure I'm not running z4Root, though. I installed Superuser and that does the trick for me.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #174
tipstir
Coby MID7015 Tablet Guru
tipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-bookstipstir has learned how to read e-books

Device: 7015A, CM738A, 7015, M150, A7, A32, Next3, PDN 7"/9", GT78, ePad
Craig has 10 new tablets being released, it would be interesting to see who get's what? couple of 7" next one up from CMP738A is the CMP738B with 512MB of RAM OS 2.2 some 8 and 10" tablets too. They're banking a huge turnover profit margin that low cost cheap tablets will sell more. They may be right with that idea.
tipstir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:12 PM   #175
roc
Enthusiast
roc is on a distinguished road

Device: Dell Streak 5, Archos 80, Sony 950, Linux/X86 droid, OLPC XO, cbgs
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstir View Post
Craig has 10 new tablets being released, it would be interesting to see who get's what? couple of 7" next one up from CMP738A is the CMP738B with 512MB of RAM OS 2.2 some 8 and 10" tablets too. They're banking a huge turnover profit margin that low cost cheap tablets will sell more. They may be right with that idea.
Do you have a link for that info? Sounds more like what Coby is doing aside from that "CMP738B" model number.
roc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:09 PM   #176
Harpmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipstir View Post
I would be interested in a slightly more capable tablet than the 738a in a 10" version as long as the price was right (cheap ).
Old 03-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #177
Harpmaker

Android Market not working.

OK, just updated my 738a to ROM 4.3 and while I can access the Android Market all downloads are "unsuccessful". Anyone know how to fix this? Slide works fine.

Also, has anyone compiled a list of programs that are known to work with the 738a? Yeah, I'm new so forgive me if that is a dumb question.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:32 AM   #178
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
OK, just updated my 738a to ROM 4.3 and while I can access the Android Market all downloads are "unsuccessful". Anyone know how to fix this? Slide works fine.

Also, has anyone compiled a list of programs that are known to work with the 738a? Yeah, I'm new so forgive me if that is a dumb question.
The first thing to do is to use aCCleaner to clear the cache and data for all apps. (It shouldn't take more than all Google-related apps, but do all apps, just to be sure.) Once you do that, you should be able to reboot and get into the Market. Search the thread for other people's experiences if you don't have success after that.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #179
Cheeky1
A Happy Pelican
Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cheeky1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 1, iPad 3, iPad Air, iPhone 5s, Kindle Fire HD, Google Nexus 7
I still find myself following this thread because I'm so impressed with what you guys have done with this device. If it weren't for the resistive (is that right) screen, I would go buy this again. I think if I come across the newer firmware I may give it another go.
Cheeky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:13 AM   #180
bhartman36
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeky1 View Post
I still find myself following this thread because I'm so impressed with what you guys have done with this device. If it weren't for the resistive (is that right) screen, I would go buy this again. I think if I come across the newer firmware I may give it another go.
Yes, the Craig has a resistive screen. The advantage the capacitive screen has is multitouch. The only time the lack of multitouch really bothers me is using the browser. For most other purposes, it's a non-issue. It's the screen that makes the difference in cost. If you put a capacitive screen on the Craig, you'd be making it a $200 device, at least. For that cost differential, I can definitely deal with the resistive screen.

Once someone gets the new device and heads over to SlateDroid with the firmware, it'll be possible to hack together a version of it for the older version -- one with the Market on it, etc.