Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 01-16-2011, 12:43 AM   #1
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Do you write in your favourite genres?

I would probably call myself a 'wannabe' writer. I would like to write stories but have never really done so. However, it doesn't stop me thinking about stories I might like to write.

What has interested me lately is that although I tend to read science fiction, fantasty and horror more than any other genre, none of the stories that appeal to me as a writer come from that genre.

Admittedly, I don't have a very large list of stories in my head so I might be dwelling in statistical insignificance at this point. However, so far my leanings have been towards general fiction.

I'm just wondering as a writer do you write in your favourite genres as a reader?

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I think you have to read the genre you write in. It would be difficult if not impossible to write, say, a mystery, without reading mysteries and understanding how they're written. You really have to internalize the genre. Fill in any genre you want there; what it comes down to is that you really need to read the books that your target market reads.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2011, 02:13 AM   #3
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was more interested in people writing outside of preferred/favourite genres rather than people writing in genres they've never read before.

In the example I gave, I've read many books of a more general fiction genre. However, I tend to gravitate towards Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror.

But I take your point, reading in a particular genre does allow you to understand its form better, so that you can follow or break the "rules" in a deliberate manner.

Regards
Caleb
Old 01-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #4
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
My primary books are in fantasy and my short stories are in Sci-fi, which is the other genre I write in.

However, I intend to write a short paranormal romance to attract more readers and to see how I do. I'd like to expand my horizons. I also intend to write a horror or two, but that's just cuz I'm scary.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
TC Beacham
Great Beach Reads!
TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TC Beacham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
I've written both general fiction and mystery, and those are the ones I read.

As long as you've read enough to know the genre, why not go for it - especially if you're going for the hot genres with lots of sales?
TC Beacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
As a reader, I prefer science fiction to fantasy.

As a writer, I prefer fantasy to science fiction.

I read and write both - along with other genres, but those are my preferences. The story-making part of my brain simply responds better to fantasy ideas than science fiction ones.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #7
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
So far, I write exclusively in the genres I most like to read: Fantasy, Sci-Fi and thrillers. I think it's much harder to write books in genres we don't love because we don't know what's fresh and what's been done to death. If I were to try to write, say, paranormal romance, I would utterly fail because I have no passion for the genre. That's not to say I can't enjoy it as a reader. Some readers need to love the genre they write, and I'm one of them.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmay View Post
If I were to try to write, say, paranormal romance, I would utterly fail because I have no passion for the genre.
I just tried doing exactly that. Paranormal romance is the big thing nowadays and I thought that writing a free short story would be a good way to gain new readers.

The problem is, it just didn't interest me. I thought of various ideas and started to write down a few paragraphs, but there was no passion in it for me as you say. I was forcing myself to write.

I went back to my fantasy book and the words started flowing again. At this point, I think having some interest in the genre is vital. It was an interesting experiment though.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Thanks guys.

For me, I think fantasy, science fiction and horror are fantastic genres to read, but I haven't really had any ideas for stories of my own.

So far, my ideas on what to write about have come directly from my life. I've looked at a situation and said to myself, "There's a story there!". I become interested in the people involved, what motivates them, what I can explore etc...

The only fantasy idea I came up with was given birth in a dream - and it's since faded from memory.

Maybe I should give myself a break. I'm not currently a writer, just thinking about it. Starting with what I know and what is around me is hardly a stupid or unnatural thing.

Regards
Caleb
Old 01-18-2011, 03:16 PM   #10
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
I think having passion for a story is the essential ingredient, whether it's in your normal reading genre or not. If there's a story in your head that must come out, it must come out!
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:40 PM   #11
Sandra Edwards
Queen of Procrastination
Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Sandra Edwards once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: K2, K3, Fire
I write only in the genres I like to read. I couldn't imagine writing in a genre I don't like.
Sandra Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
Russell Brooks
Fanatic
Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Russell Brooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For sure. It would be difficult to write in a genre that I don't enjoy.
Russell Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:23 PM   #13
kurzon
Andrea K Höst
kurzon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I enjoy reading both fantasy, science fiction and mystery novels, but I primarily write fantasy, with some excursions into science fiction. And the more I write, the less fantasy I read, concentrating my reading on mystery novels.

I find all those lovely new fantasy novels distract me from writing my own, so must ration myself.
kurzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
bobavey
Bob Avey
bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobavey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Funny you should ask that. My favorite authors are Dean Koontz and Stephen King. However, so far I've only written mysteries. With the 3rd book in the series, yet to be released, I plan to paranormal it up a bit.
bobavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 06:50 PM   #15
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
I read various genres, but I write only fantasy and science fiction.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote