Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-20-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
jtdavies1000
jtdavies1000 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Aluratek Libre eBook Reader PRO - anyone know about it?

Hey, i am looking at getting an ereader. My choice is restricted due to where i live (Argentina).

A possibility is the Aluratek Libre eBook Reader PRO. Does anyone know if it is good or not? It is the cheapest and seems to have similar features to the next option, the Cybook Opus which seems plagued with stability issues.

Thanks, James
jtdavies1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Aluratek Libre eBook Reader PRO is just a Jetbook. So look up the Jetbook on the forum for information.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 11:25 AM   #3
jtdavies1000
jtdavies1000 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Thanks
jtdavies1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Aluratek Libre eBook Reader PRO is just a Jetbook. So look up the Jetbook on the forum for information.
No, it's not just a Jetbook. The Libre is actually the better deal. Aluratek released a firmware update that includes Adobe DE support. This means you can buy DRMed ebooks without having to remove the DRM.

I have a Libre, and I highly recommend it. It's a very pleasant little ereader.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 01:38 PM   #5
Salinger
Salinger began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
The screen on the libre looks more like LCD than e-ink. I've not seen one live, so I could be wrong, but the background looks very dark compared to the Sony readers and Kindle.
Salinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 05:28 AM   #6
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salinger View Post
The screen on the libre looks more like LCD than e-ink. I've not seen one live, so I could be wrong, but the background looks very dark compared to the Sony readers and Kindle.
It is an LCD. When viewed from highly off-axis, it will display darker, as LCDs have done for a long time. This is one of the few areas where EPDs like e-ink have an advantage. However, if you look at it from the appropriate viewing angle range, LCD will have better quality and contrast than EPD. The resolution is a bit lower, so letters will be a little blocky, but they will still have higher contrast, and in some cases better readability than you can get from e-ink.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:45 PM   #7
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
If you have ever seen the old palm devices (not the colour ones, but the even older ones), the screen looks like those. I just purchased one, and the reading is comfortable. Even the weight is good. I have carple tunnel bad, and it's not hard to hold on to. I use the wrist strap that comes with it just in case my hands give out. It's a solid little thing, even if it doesn't look like it.
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:53 PM   #8
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
From my understanding the Libre is first cousin to a Jetbook, so you might want to look at Jetbook, or Jetbook lite. (Lite uses 4 AA battery's instead of LI_Ion battery)

There is a whole forum of us Jetbook types that should be able to answer any questions you have.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:43 AM   #9
dls81
Enthusiast
dls81 began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdavies1000 View Post
Hey, i am looking at getting an ereader. My choice is restricted due to where i live (Argentina).

A possibility is the Aluratek Libre eBook Reader PRO. Does anyone know if it is good or not? It is the cheapest and seems to have similar features to the next option, the Cybook Opus which seems plagued with stability issues.

Thanks, James
I just bought a Libre because of price, ability to have it shipped to me overseas at a military address, and the number of formats that it reads. I really like it because of its portability (although it definitely won't fit in my pocket... maybe in a man's pocket it will), but I am going to buy a different one to use at home because I don't like the 5" screen. It seems smaller than the Sony Pocket Edition's 5" screen, for some reason, but I haven't compared them side by side in person. Maybe I will do that today.

But, it is very easy to use, lightweight, and all in all it does what it's supposed to do. Just make sure you update the firmware when you get it so you can read Adobe DRM books.
dls81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:45 AM   #10
dls81
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
It is an LCD. When viewed from highly off-axis, it will display darker, as LCDs have done for a long time. This is one of the few areas where EPDs like e-ink have an advantage. However, if you look at it from the appropriate viewing angle range, LCD will have better quality and contrast than EPD. The resolution is a bit lower, so letters will be a little blocky, but they will still have higher contrast, and in some cases better readability than you can get from e-ink.

Agreed. The screen is a little darker than what I would like, especially at certain angles. The contrast is excellent, however, and somewhat makes up for it.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:46 AM   #11
dls81
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchreading View Post
If you have ever seen the old palm devices (not the colour ones, but the even older ones), the screen looks like those. I just purchased one, and the reading is comfortable. Even the weight is good. I have carple tunnel bad, and it's not hard to hold on to. I use the wrist strap that comes with it just in case my hands give out. It's a solid little thing, even if it doesn't look like it.
Another good point. Although it looks sort of like shiny cheap plastic in the advertising pictures, it is not nearly as shiny in person (at least, my white one isn't) and it is very solid and well put together. I read some people reviewing the slider on the left side as feeling cheap, but I don't think it feels that way at all.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:41 AM   #12
jpparker19
jpparker19 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quadruple Confirmation on Aluratek DRM Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
No, it's not just a Jetbook. The Libre is actually the better deal. Aluratek released a firmware update that includes Adobe DE support. This means you can buy DRMed ebooks without having to remove the DRM.

I just finished a brief love hate relationship with my wifes Jetbook lite and lack of true epub DRM readability with books from B&N. Yes post Christmas problems really blow. I have seen several posts on Aluratek's Libre being able to read secure DRM epubs. Before I suffer more slings and arrows from the Mommydant, because she would prefer to read modern novel; J.D Robb vice the plethora of public domain classics, can anyone confirm without a doubt this is true?
jpparker19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:58 AM   #13
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Currently reading "Band of Brothers" with no problems. Bought from Fictionwise in secure Adobe PDF format. Only DRM I've tried so far.
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:18 AM   #14
dls81
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpparker19 View Post
I just finished a brief love hate relationship with my wifes Jetbook lite and lack of true epub DRM readability with books from B&N. Yes post Christmas problems really blow. I have seen several posts on Aluratek's Libre being able to read secure DRM epubs. Before I suffer more slings and arrows from the Mommydant, because she would prefer to read modern novel; J.D Robb vice the plethora of public domain classics, can anyone confirm without a doubt this is true?
BN uses a different DRM, so she's wasted her money by buying through them (especially since they are overpriced to begin with). I've downloaded 3 Adobe DRM epub books from Sony and read them without a problem on my Libre.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:55 AM   #15
jpparker19
jpparker19 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by uRwhatUr View Post
Currently reading "Band of Brothers" with no problems. Bought from Fictionwise in secure Adobe PDF format. Only DRM I've tried so far.
So no issue with truncation regardless of font selected?
jpparker19 is offline   Reply With Quote