Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
HarryPigg
Alleged Writer
HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryPigg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
The Third Pig Detective Agency - Shameless Plug Dept.

My new book The Third Pig Detective Agency is now available to download from Waterstones.

As I've ranted on in various places about the unjustifiably high price of ebooks, I was suitably heartened to find that my own publisher, Friday Books (an imprint of Harper Collins) is selling it in the short term for 78p.

It's a full-length novel - an extract from which got some good feedback when I posted it here some time back - so (in my admittedly biased opinion) seems like good value for money.

As it's my first time out in ebook format I'd love to hear of any problems anyone that buys it may have. This will give me something to feed back to the publisher.

Also, and more importantly, I'd really love feedback (good or bad) on what anyone thought of it. I'm thick-skinned and would appreciate some honest opinions. Hopefully people will enjoy it (it's not to be taken too seriously) but if not, do let me know.

Thanks muchly
HarryPigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 06:53 PM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryPigg View Post
My new book The Third Pig Detective Agency is now available to download from Waterstones.

As I've ranted on in various places about the unjustifiably high price of ebooks, I was suitably heartened to find that my own publisher, Friday Books (an imprint of Harper Collins) is selling it in the short term for 78p.

It's a full-length novel - an extract from which got some good feedback when I posted it here some time back - so (in my admittedly biased opinion) seems like good value for money.

As it's my first time out in ebook format I'd love to hear of any problems anyone that buys it may have. This will give me something to feed back to the publisher.

Also, and more importantly, I'd really love feedback (good or bad) on what anyone thought of it. I'm thick-skinned and would appreciate some honest opinions. Hopefully people will enjoy it (it's not to be taken too seriously) but if not, do let me know.

Thanks muchly
Holy crap! 78p? Bought! Better than good value for money, I would have bought this at £6. You're now at the top of my reading list, so feedback will be soonish
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hey ! great news all around !! congratulations, and at that price i would have bought it even if i didn't remember your earlier posts on the subject, and feeling quite intrigued about your book. since i *do* remember all that though i'm buying it all the more, right this minute. (i'll even try to move it up to the top of my reading list too, just because you asked nicely for feedback. )

i'm looking forward to this one, thanks so much for posting about it here.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

bought it, downloaded it, put it on my liseuse.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel

(oh, and as this was my first purchase from waterstone's, i signed up for the card too, since it's apparently free. anyone know whether that's at all interesting ?)
Advert
Old 08-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #6
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
(oh, and as this was my first purchase from waterstone's, i signed up for the card too, since it's apparently free. anyone know whether that's at all interesting ?)
The Waterstones card gives you a small amount of credit for every pound you spend. It's not much, but better than nothing.

Given your rate of spend with Waterstones you should accumulate enough for a free book some time in 2037.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel

hm, one remark about waterstone's (so, completely unrelated to the book, but nonetheless related to the buying experience...). i just checked my account, and apparently, if i was unable to download my book at the time of purchase, i can download it again from my account, but... only ONCE ! i guess i better hope i keep a few backups on different media, and nothing happens to them, eh ?
Old 08-05-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
The Waterstones card gives you a small amount of credit for every pound you spend. It's not much, but better than nothing.

Given your rate of spend with Waterstones you should accumulate enough for a free book some time in 2037.
okay, thanks. i got 2 points for buying this book, but my credit balance says 0 all the way across, so i guess i don't even have a single pence of credit to my name yet. 2037 sounds about right.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:23 PM   #9
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I will be buying it as soon as I can remember my Waterstones details as I think I think I still have some points left. If I can't remember it by the end of the week, I'll be buying it anyway
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
hm, one remark about waterstone's (so, completely unrelated to the book, but nonetheless related to the buying experience...). i just checked my account, and apparently, if i was unable to download my book at the time of purchase, i can download it again from my account, but... only ONCE ! i guess i better hope i keep a few backups on different media, and nothing happens to them, eh ?
That's why I immediately stripped off the DRM and backed the file up
Old 08-05-2009, 07:48 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
That's why I immediately stripped off the DRM and backed the file up
oh, so did i, that goes without saying ! like i do with *all* my ebooks, the second after i buy them (and it's a good thing too, because i've already been burned by drm). but still, it seems strange and not very reassuring of them.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:51 PM   #12
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
oh, so did i, that goes without saying ! like i do with *all* my ebooks, the second after i buy them (and it's a good thing too, because i've already been burned by drm). but still, it seems strange and not very reassuring of them.
Companies are idiots, and the bigger they are, the more idiotic they'll become. It's not like I'm here giggling maniacally while I strip off the DRM and then it's away to the Darknet with the file (although Bob, you should let one of these files fly on the dark side and you'll gain more fans).
Old 08-05-2009, 11:26 PM   #13
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I immediately bought it when I saw your post pop up while I was at work. After I paid for it, found out what a pain in the ass it was. I couldn't even download the book, because I wasn't running a machine capable of running Adobe Digital Editions (because, it didn't have Windows. Come on Adobe! ADE was supposed to have a release for Linux back in '07!). Luckily, I had a dual boot machine at my disposal, so downloaded with that. Now, to figure out how to strip the DRM, so I can actually read it.

I don't know how many of you guys use Shelfari, but I added the book there, with the cover and other info.

Last edited by Hellmark; 08-06-2009 at 02:42 AM.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:02 AM   #14
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
got it in any other format? say mobi, text or html for example?
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 04:44 AM   #15
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Bought it and immediately set to reading some. The story really is interesting (a hardcore PI story in a fairy scenario) and the style seems more than adequate, but, hey, did the author not have an editor? There are a lot of spelling and grammar mistakes!

Definitely will continue reading, though!

Waterstone's was quite painless, for me!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote