Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Can Calibre convert a website article?

I'm wondering if Calibre can be used to convert long website articles so I can read them on my Sony 600 instead of online on an lcd. Some of these articles will be multiple pages long. Would I need to add each page separately into Calibre using the Add Books function?

Here's an example article:
http://www.thestreet.com/story/10226...recasting.html

Using Add Books, I input the above link, which creates a zip package in Calibre. But converting that to epub yields a bit of a mess, and it only includes the first page of the article.

Any tips appreciated!
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:22 AM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You could try this

www.httrack.com.

It will copy the contents of an entire web site. You can tell it where to go and where not.

It is important to take a look at where the various links go before you use it so you do not copy a lot of what you do not want or need.

Also do not attempt to make a large number of connections to speed things up since the web site might interpret it as a denial of service attack.

I have have used it many times to copy a website to my computer and then decide what graphics I want, simplify the layout, etc.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 06:39 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
I'm wondering if Calibre can be used to convert long website articles so I can read them on my Sony 600 instead of online on an lcd. Some of these articles will be multiple pages long. Would I need to add each page separately into Calibre using the Add Books function?

Here's an example article:
http://www.thestreet.com/story/10226...recasting.html
I haven't used this but you could try the Read it Later App or Firefox extension and the Read it Later calibre recipe in the unknown area under fetch news.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
agree with dwanthy - Read it Later - or Instapaper also works well and you can export the results either as an EPUB for your Sony or Kindle format as well (so probably appeals to a good range of people).
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #5
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the suggestions. Instapaper seems to do a marginally better job than Read It Later, though neither seems to pick up the extra pages of a multi-page article.

But both are more elegant solutions than what I tried earlier.
Advert
Old 06-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyash View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Instapaper seems to do a marginally better job than Read It Later, though neither seems to pick up the extra pages of a multi-page article.

But both are more elegant solutions than what I tried earlier.
Again I don't use these but most sites allow you to choose a print version of an article, maybe you can add the print version to readitlater or instapaper?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
flyash
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Again I don't use these but most sites allow you to choose a print version of an article, maybe you can add the print version to readitlater or instapaper?
This particular site did not, but yeah, that's a good solution for most. I posted an inelegant workaround that gets the job done for the minority of sites that don't allow for a 'print' or 'single-page' view of an article: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86497