Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-18-2015, 12:39 PM   #1
ibat
Fool
ibat began at the beginning.

Device: HanLin V3, Cybook Odyssey HD, PocketBook PB626, PB632
PocketBook Touch Lux 3

Has anybody seen the PocketBook Touch Lux 3 in the wild? It was announced in April. I have not heard anything since then. I was thinking of getting one for my son. But don't know how long we would have to wait.
ibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 11:07 PM   #2
brucelee
Addict
brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I think it's available only at osiander.de.

Here's the article I read about it: papierlos-lesen.de (Google translate).
brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
MagNet
MagNet began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 626 Touch Lux 3
Hi, I just got one a few days back. It's available on alza.cz and also some specialty book shops here in the Czech Republic. Didn't have any issue finding it. It's been added recently though.
MagNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 04:22 AM   #4
ibat
Fool
ibat began at the beginning.

Device: HanLin V3, Cybook Odyssey HD, PocketBook PB626, PB632
My son received his Lux3 from Cyberport yesterday. I compared, it looks just like my Lux2, though the screen is slightly lighter. It came with fw5.5. So we installed fw5.7 right away.
ibat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 11:38 AM   #5
ingmar
Connoisseur
ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ingmar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibat View Post
My son received his Lux3 from Cyberport yesterday. I compared, it looks just like my Lux2, though the screen is slightly lighter.
No surprise there, as it uses E-ink Carta technology. The better screen is really all the difference there is.
ingmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2015, 04:42 AM   #6
kobobobo
kobobobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
How does it compare to Kobo Aura? Is it better? Theoretically the screen should be better but who knows. How about the user interface and speed? Has anyone seen both of them?
kobobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:42 AM   #7
Deahna
Deahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmosDeahna has become one with the cosmos

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobobobo View Post
How does it compare to Kobo Aura? Is it better? Theoretically the screen should be better but who knows. How about the user interface and speed? Has anyone seen both of them?
Yes, I have both.

Although I'm quite happy with the aura (both aura and aura HD, depending on where I want to use it) I wanted a reader with keys/buttons for my holidays. I don't really like using a touchscreen with sticky and slightly greasy fingers from sun lotion.

My holidays are now a thing of the past and, well, I certainly won't replace either aura in the near future.

Personally, I don't see much of a difference between the displays of both auras and Lux 3. I need a clear display with a good contrast which both provide. There are other things that drive me crazy, however.

Please note that these are my personal experiences, other users may fare better. My Lux 3 is running FW 5.5.631.
  • There is no way to adjust justification in the pre-installed reading software. Kobo can do this.
  • The touchscreen feels harder to control than for the aura. It's a pain in the a** to choose a different font, especially when it's far down in the alphabet, or adjust the lighting or font size.
  • After reading a 175-pages-book the battery was down to 40% from fully loaded. For about half of that light was on at 9%.
  • I don't like the rather white screen when the light is on. I've already set it to below 10%. When dimming the light further down it becomes grey and "dirty" while both auras feel more like reading without the light on.
  • Synching with calibre doesn't work properly. Some books show up under "genre", others don't. Since I use keywords/genres/bookshelves extensively this is a huge showstopper. There does not seem to be any solution for it, other than tweaking calibre and using a dedicated folder structure instead.
    The aura, on the other hands, handles both genres and series withotu problems.
  • The booklists on the reader look very peculiar. This may be part of my calibre problem.
    Booklist with a series of books. Some show up nicely, others don't:
    Spoiler:
    These books do not belong to any series:
    Spoiler:
    I'd be happy for any useful tips how to get rid of this!
  • "long press" of anything often results in repeating the action several times. So if one key is mapped to "10 pages backward" it will actually go back by 20, 30, 40 pages. The aura usually does what it's told to do and nothing else.
  • Adding dictionaries for any languages beyond the big ones seems impossible. I was looking in vain to find a Swedish-English one and even if I found one, converting it to the right format seems difficult. There are a lot more around for the kobo and it's not too difficult to convert from dict.cc.

There are obviously pros, too:
  • Adding my own fonts is easy, just drag & drop from computer, no need to rename or anything.
  • no user-extension is needed to use my own screensaver rather than showing book covers.
  • Installing alternative reading software solved some of the problems and was easy enough. My choice was CoolReader; although I dislike that Pocketbook no longer updates read/unread-status.
  • The keys can be remapped, not every way I want but at least as far as fits my needs. Although I'm right-handed I prefer to read left-handed and obviously need to swap the forward/backward keys (the touchscreen of the aura can be adjusted accordingly, too). This goes for every other key as well, one can even remap one to take screenshots. So it's a lot more versatile than the aura.

Hope this helps some.
Deahna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:20 AM   #8
kobobobo
kobobobo began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Thank you very much Deahna.
kobobobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:30 AM   #9
carlosz123456
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deahna View Post

[*]Installing alternative reading software solved some of the problems and was easy enough. My choice was CoolReader; although I dislike that Pocketbook no longer updates read/unread-status.
Hey, I'm sorry that I enter into the discussion, but how can on the pocketbook touch lux 3 to install cool reader. I think it's impossible. But if so, it would be beneficial.
Thank you.
Old 09-30-2015, 12:02 PM   #10
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz123456 View Post
Hey, I'm sorry that I enter into the discussion, but how can on the pocketbook touch lux 3 to install cool reader. I think it's impossible. But if so, it would be beneficial.
Thank you.
There's a whole thread about this on the forum here. Excellent work done by brucelee!

And, btw, PocketBook will update the read status, but in version 5 firmware that will happen only if you make sure that your book is in the library database on your PocketBook. So, if you make sure that the database is updated after copying books to the reader, the read status (and percentage) will be updated properly.
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:35 PM   #11
anonymust
Book Reader
anonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavensanonymust is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Pocketbook *** (Touch HD 3)
Ok Trying to follow this tread and I cant tell how/if I can install Pocket (getpocket.com) on my TouchLux e-reader.
anonymust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 12:58 PM   #12
brucelee
Addict
brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.brucelee can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

If you ever wondered what's inside TL3. Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151121_142131.jpg
Views:	2528
Size:	953.4 KB
ID:	143957   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151121_142200.jpg
Views:	2286
Size:	898.2 KB
ID:	143958   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151121_142350.jpg
Views:	1926
Size:	845.4 KB
ID:	143959  
Old 11-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #13
druss67
Connoisseur
druss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notesdruss67 can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle 4, PBk Lux 2, PBk Lux 3, K Aura, K Libra H2O, K Libra2
Have you broke your PB3, to share the inside of the beast with us ?

Interesting, I see that the memory is a µSD card...
druss67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #14
brucelee
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by druss67 View Post
Have you broke your PB3, to share the inside of the beast with us ?
No. Just opened it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druss67 View Post
Interesting, I see that the memory is a µSD card...
I know. But unfortunately the socket doesn't make it easy to remove it and put it back.
Well, actually, it should be pretty easy to remove it. Putting it back might not be that easy.
Old 12-15-2015, 03:36 AM   #15
wyf49679
wyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with otherswyf49679 plays well with others

Device: PocketBook InkPad 840
Firmware 5.12 for PocketBook Touch Lux 3 is now available at http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/sup...ok-touch-lux-3
wyf49679 is offline   Reply With Quote