Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
What is your typical workflow like?

For example, I have a Kindle and so to keep the amount of steps performed to a minimum I typically purchase in azw/mobi format. Then, as long as I take the time to save/rename my books as I acquire them with a certain file name format, I have batch files that will 1 - strip the DRM and 2 - use mobi2mobi.exe to set the author and title metadata based on my file name.

Now of course, when I run into a book that has absolutely horrid formatting I have to use mobi2html to extract the source and clean it up. But most books are at least acceptable. So all I have to do is be careful of my file name and run my batch files then import/copy into my library.

I was curious as to everyone else's standard workflow/steps? If you start with other formats (ie. LIT), what are they and what do you do to end up with a mobi format in the most efficient method possible?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:06 PM   #2
Idoine
Which book will be next ?
Idoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it isIdoine knows what time it is

Device: Cybook Gen3 1.5, Sony PRS 600 RC, Samsung Omnia...
There are 2 cases, DRm'd or not.

When DRM'd :
If a Mobipocket file is available, I buy it (the best formatting generally).
If not available, I buy the LIT version, then use ConvertLit to generate an OPF file, then Mobipocket Creator to build a PRC. If the formatting of the PRC is not so great, I try with Calibre.

When not DRM'd, Multiformat then, I try first the PRC or Mobi file, and if the formatting is not great, I try the LIT file then ConvertLit and MC.
Idoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I thought this thread was about my job workflow. I wanted to explain that my job is like a New Testament stoning, except with crises demanding attention all day instead of rocks being thrown at me.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
texasnightowl
Guru
texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.texasnightowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, K4B(NT), K3/KK
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I thought this thread was about my job workflow. I wanted to explain that my job is like a New Testament stoning, except with crises demanding attention all day instead of rocks being thrown at me.
Having a good day are we?
texasnightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #5
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasnightowl View Post
Having a good day are we?
I'd prefer rocks.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 03:40 AM   #6
Ortep
Fanatic
Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ortep has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I'd prefer rocks.
Whiskey on the...
Ortep is offline   Reply With Quote