Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-29-2009, 05:56 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
What are the chances of calibre supporting conversion from eReader

Hi calibre team,
What are the chances of including eReader as a conversion format for calibre? As of late FW has been doing a good job promoting their format. The constant 5% discount is also making the format attractive. It would be great if calibre supported this format.

I've played around with the eReader format is very similar to the zipped up HTML format calibre can convert. The only real difference is that eReader uses the PDB database structure and a PML file instead of an HTML file. The only thing calibre has to do is extract the images, extract the PML and convert PML to HTML and it will have support.

Looking at the PML syntax is is very basic. Here is a link the PML syntax (link).

It seems very basic compared to true HTML, it should not be too hard to convert PML to HTML. I believe there are tools already that do it ETools for example. (EReader2html does not do a very good job)

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I have too many other things on my plate at the moment, so count me out. But if someone were to write a decent ereader2html in python I'd be happy to integrate it into calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 12:16 AM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I have too many other things on my plate at the moment, so count me out. But if someone were to write a decent ereader2html in python I'd be happy to integrate it into calibre
Hi Kovid,
Thanks for the reply.

That's too bad. It's too bad I don't know how to program in Python I would really like to help out the calibre team.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I might take a stab at writing a quick plugin for Calibre that users could add in. Just so that they could use Calibre to organize their ereader books, and have the metadata information in Calibre. But I have a question:

If a plug in is written that puts "pdb" in the file type of the plugin, will Calibre know to call that plugin when a .pdb file is loaded? Or would .pdb have to be added as a supported format in Calibre first?

About the only information that looks easily accessible in an ereader file is the Title is the first thing in the file, but that would be a start for anyone needing to use the .pdb (ereader) format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you write a MetadataReader plugin calibre should use it automatically whenever a .pdb file is added to calibre. And I'll be happy to add the plugin to calibre's trunk.
Advert
Old 04-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #6
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So far, it appears that it should be possible to get the title, and even the cover image (if there is one) without breaking the DRM, but it looks like the author/publisher information is encrypted with the rest of the contents. I'm not positive about that, but it might not be possible to extract much metadata information, or update metadata information without breaking the DRM.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Getting the title and cover is a good start.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:44 PM   #8
junkml
Addict

I purchased an ereader book from fictionwise, and after bringing it into the ereader application, but before providing the unlock code, it had picked up the title, author, publisher, and ISBN. So, they must be accessible, but I'm not sure if/when I'll figure out how to retrieve those from the file.

The challenge is finding out where and how they are stored in the file.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I've started working on ereader input and output. It will not be available for the 0.5.x series as it is being written for the new conversion framework used by pluginize.

@junkml, if you can figure out how to get the metadata out of an encrypted file that would be awesome. So far it looks like the majority of the information is stored in the encrypted data section itself. For example,

Code:
\vTITLE="Andersen's Fairy Tales" AUTHOR="Hans Christian Andersen"  PUBLISHER="Fictionwise, Inc." EISBN="" COPYRIGHT=""\v
That is the first line of the first page of text in my test file.

I haven't delved into the header section of the file all that much so it might store some metadata in two different places. I know you can get the title out of the unencrypted header for instance.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
junkml
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
I've started working on ereader input and output. It will not be available for the 0.5.x series as it is being written for the new conversion framework used by pluginize.

@junkml, if you can figure out how to get the metadata out of an encrypted file that would be awesome. So far it looks like the majority of the information is stored in the encrypted data section itself. For example,

Code:
\vTITLE="Andersen's Fairy Tales" AUTHOR="Hans Christian Andersen"  PUBLISHER="Fictionwise, Inc." EISBN="" COPYRIGHT=""\v
That is the first line of the first page of text in my test file.

I haven't delved into the header section of the file all that much so it might store some metadata in two different places. I know you can get the title out of the unencrypted header for instance.
Sorry I haven't been around for a few weeks (working 10-12 hour days at work).

Were you able to figure out how to get the metadata without breaking the encryption? I hadn't made any progress on that.
Old 04-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #11
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
I haven't gotten around to looking at metadata with drm content yet. I've completed ereader input. Once I finish output I'm going to look into it a bit more.

What I've found so far is the pdb header can store the title. There can be metadata embedded in the content itself as a comment. There is a metadata section which contains null terminated strings.

The pdb header is not encrypted. What I still need to look into is if the first data section (it tells the section types) is encrypted and if the metadata section is encrypted.

Since you had mentioned that the metadata is pulled out of the files in your library before putting in the decryption key I'm assuming that at least the metadata section is not encrypted. If the first section is not encrypted it will make things much easier.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote