Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-11-2008, 05:22 AM   #1
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PB-IQ / Sony PRS-500
Smile Christmas gift: MahJonG game (starting from SD card via autorun)

Hi!

Here is one more game for Sony Readers.
(I first posted it in the 505-developpers-section: here )

Quite some time ago I posted a previous game (Fiveballs).
MahJonG seems to me much better suited to a reading device like ours... Actually I find myself sitting on our couch for hours diddling with it.

If you like it and want to try it, I'd be (gratious) grateful for your opinion AFTER you tried it!
(It is quite easy to design new layouts but I did not implement that feature into the game. Anyway this should be done "outside" the device...)

There is a zip file that has to be unzipped: afterwards put "Sony Reader" onto the root directory of your SD card.
ATTENTION: applications starting from SD cards drain battery power quite fast! I usually play it with the AC plug connected.

I'll attach a screenshot to this article; this was taken after I "migrated" my PRS game to a "normal" JavaScript browser application. It just gives you an idea how it might look on your PRS (look at it in a 67 percent view !).

Have a nice Christmas time!

Clemens

(Here is a forgotten "tool tip": if you move the joystick left/right it will go up/down TWO steps.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot_Mozilla.png
Views:	793
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	19016  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sony_PRS500_MahJonG_10.zip (163.2 KB, 757 views)

Last edited by Clemenseken; 12-14-2008 at 05:43 AM.
Clemenseken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 06:31 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenseken View Post
ATTENTION: applications starting from SD cards drain battery power quite fast! I usually play it with the AC plug connected.
What is the chance I mess up my Reader by trying this out?

I am quite eager to try it out, but I am very cautious, because I live quite far from USA, so getting my Reader reflashed or repaired would be very problematic for me.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Clemenseken
eWriter
Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Clemenseken can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
What is the chance I mess up my Reader by trying this out?
I am quite eager to try it out, but I am very cautious, because I live quite far from USA, so getting my Reader reflashed or repaired would be very problematic for me.
Hi, kacir,

when I did tests with this game (and there are a lot of things the reader doesn't like at all, like German letters ä,ö,ü and others) the worst that ever happened is that the reader froze and I had to reset it (small hole at backside of it) with a small screwdriver - just press the button "in the hole" for 3-5 seconds, then move the "POWER" slider at its side.
The screen says s.th. like "Starting up" for 1-3 minutes. Next the sandclock turns for another 1-3 minutes (didn't take time).
Actually I had to do this about once every two days when I started developping. But in the last two weeks I did not have to reset even once...

I think that really nothing CAN happen since applications that don't do a "Flash" of firmware do not change any internal files or values or whatever.

Clemens
Old 07-14-2009, 04:41 AM   #4
metalheadmalta
metalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and iPad, (via Sony PRS-500 , iPhone , HP iPaq3700 )
This is interesting...I will try it out. What system are you using for development?
metalheadmalta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 02:11 AM   #5
Clemenseken
eWriter

SDK used for MahJonG game:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalheadmalta View Post
This is interesting...I will try it out. What system are you using for development?
Hi metalheadmalta
Are you really from Malta? We once visited there and were enthusiastic about your bus system. Really cute!

Well, I developed MahJonG with BBEdit running on my Apple iBook. For testing I used a 16MB SD-card on my PRS500.
You probably know that a special dialect of both JavaScript and XML is used for these "external" applications. I got the idea and basics from an erxample app "Sudoku" which I tried to analyze...
The apps I developed are the original "dictioLauncher", then "5balls", "Kakuro" (which I did not post here - big bug in the generator "maths"...), all to be found here.

I like MahJonG best because it's got an "intuitive" touch (for me...)
Advert
Old 09-14-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Justice Strike
Enthusiast
Justice Strike began at the beginning.

Device: psr600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemenseken View Post
Hi!

Here is one more game for Sony Readers.
(I first posted it in the 505-developpers-section: here )

Quite some time ago I posted a previous game (Fiveballs).
MahJonG seems to me much better suited to a reading device like ours... Actually I find myself sitting on our couch for hours diddling with it.

If you like it and want to try it, I'd be (gratious) grateful for your opinion AFTER you tried it!
(It is quite easy to design new layouts but I did not implement that feature into the game. Anyway this should be done "outside" the device...)

There is a zip file that has to be unzipped: afterwards put "Sony Reader" onto the root directory of your SD card.

I'll attach a screenshot to this article; this was taken after I "migrated" my PRS game to a "normal" JavaScript browser application. It just gives you an idea how it might look on your PRS (look at it in a 67 percent view !).

Clemens

(Here is a forgotten "tool tip": if you move the joystick left/right it will go up/down TWO steps.)
i'm curious... what makes it drain the battery fast? does it do full screen refreshes a lot of times? or a lot of cpu power is used?
Justice Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 04:32 AM   #7
Clemenseken
eWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice Strike View Post
i'm curious... what makes it drain the battery fast? does it do full screen refreshes a lot of times? or a lot of cpu power is used?
Hi!
I'm no technician but I suppose that it's the fact that your SD-card is "physically" addressed. (maybe some internal controller or even the reader's cpu uses power...).
Old 05-06-2011, 03:58 PM   #8
Clemenseken
eWriter

Just a short notice:
I ported my MahJonG game to my new ereading device, an android pad reader from Pockbook, the model IQ-701.
(I am just writing this post on its soft keyboard.)

Whoever's interested may download this colourful version in thread "Pocketbook IQ?".

It will only run on a 800*600 screen or better but there's a screenshot for an impression...
Obviously Android is required - an iPhone is not good enough ;-)
Old 05-06-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
Clemenseken
eWriter

Just a short notice:
I ported my MahJonG game to my new ereading device, an android pad reader from Pockbook, the model IQ-701.
(I am just writing this post on its soft keyboard.)

Whoever's interested may download this colourful version in thread "Pocketbook IQ?".

It will only run on a 800*600 screen or better but there's a screenshot for an impression...
Obviously Android is required - an iPhone is not good enough ;-)
Old 05-16-2011, 05:05 AM   #10
metalheadmalta
metalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura aboutmetalheadmalta has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and iPad, (via Sony PRS-500 , iPhone , HP iPaq3700 )
Yep, I do live in the land of sun... and dodgy buses.... soon be changed, the buses.

I still use my ereader, although I have recently bought an iPad, which is just right for reading in darker places....

When we are out at the beach or on a picnic, my trusty SONY 500 is the one I take with me... still going great.
metalheadmalta is offline   Reply With Quote