Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 03:33 PM   #1
Gerlyn
Enthusiast
Gerlyn began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Epub complete now what

I have finalized the first epub an passed a epub check. Now I have to decide how to get it to iBooks - the requested final destination. In doing research, I found I could try to go direct or through an Apple aggregator (is there another way?). I sent in a small book epub using LuLu to understand the process and noticed all their different marketing options that sound interesting. The other 2 aggregators don't give much information up front, but want you to contact them and one works with publishers only.

What I am wondering is if someone has suggestions or things to be aware of? Some offer flat fees others are free. I only found one post about this subject 2 years ago, so I am wondering what everyone does and what I am missing? The books I want to distribute will be free for now, but I want to market them so people know about them.
Gerlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:54 PM   #2
Lazer
Groupie
Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I think iBooks is a small seller (and I'm typing this on a Mac). I'd upload it to Barnes & Noble and then turn it into a Mobi file using Calibre and upload it to Amazon. With iBooks, I know you'll need to purchase an ISBN and that'll cost you $125. Worry about the iBook thing after you've got it up on the other two first. –my two-bits.
Lazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
Gerlyn
Enthusiast

Thanks for the comment, might look into Amazon. I can create my own ISBN numbers as I already have a UPC for other products so there is no cost there. The client prefers it to be on the iPad so that is my current direction. My upload to Lulu says it is now "listed" on iBooks and Nook but no clear understanding on when it would appear on them.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
If you publish via Smaswords, you will get a free ISBN, and they will get you in to Apple, B&N, and most of the major players, except Amazon. Its free to do, they pay 70% royalties.

Amazon you can go direct through KDP and its very easy.

Those two places are really the best place to start for an indy author, IMO.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #5
Gerlyn
Enthusiast

If only Smashwords accepted epub files.....
Advert
Old 03-30-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerlyn View Post
If only Smashwords accepted epub files.....

IMO, its worth it to spend the time to build a good word doc and send it to them as they get you an ISBN, and in to all the major stores in one fell swoop.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #7
androm
androm began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'd recommend using lulu.com. They will distribute your epub to the biggest retailers.
androm is offline   Reply With Quote