Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-02-2012, 02:45 AM   #1
Mr_Mark
Mr_Mark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre won't launch

Hi,

For some reason, Calibre won't launch on my computer. Whenever I try, the books appear on the screen with the message 'Initialising user interface', and then it freezes. This has been happening for two days, and I have tried uninstalling Calibre and then installing it again. I'm really finding this quite frustrating!

Has anyone had similar problems, and if so how did they resolve the issue?

Many thanks.
Mr_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:49 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Just leave it alone, it will startup after a while.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #3
Mr_Mark
Mr_Mark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for your reply. I will keep trying as you suggest. But this has been happening for two days now, and each time my computer freezes I have to reboot it. I hope the problem resolves itself soon as I really like Calibre and want to keep using it.

Many thanks.
Mr_Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 04:40 AM   #4
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Mark View Post
Thanks for your reply. I will keep trying as you suggest. But this has been happening for two days now, and each time my computer freezes I have to reboot it.
How long did you wait?

Like Kovid says, it will probably work OK if you leave it for a while. Calibre does lock your PC for a while when it starts, but that doesn't last very long; here (4GB RAM, 2.4 GHz Core i5) it's something like 15 seconds when loading a 52K books library.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Mark View Post
Thanks for your reply. I will keep trying as you suggest. But this has been happening for two days now, and each time my computer freezes I have to reboot it. I hope the problem resolves itself soon as I really like Calibre and want to keep using it.

Many thanks.
100% CPU is not the same as a Lockup. Just very busy. Let it run a few minutes (longer, if other programs are running like virus scans) the poor thing has a lot of work to do. Forced reboots CAN actually damage open files. Calibre may be updating the metadata in every book folder.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote