Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-12-2009, 05:22 AM   #1
doublekross
doublekross began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
Reader Hangs on Startup...yes, it's charged!

So, I've had my reader for about four months now, and this is a new problem for me-- the prs700 keeps hanging on startup.

It's been charged for over eight hours; originally the indicator LED flashed yellow/red (back and forth) when I plugged it into the computer and then settled into a solid red for charging. When I woke up the next morning the light was off completely (and I couldn't remember if the light changed to green when it was done, or if it just went off). So, I ejected from the computer (through Sony library)--on the prs700 screen, the "do not disconnect" and slash/circle went away almost immediately, but the reader wouldn't start on it's own after 15 minutes, so I reset with a pin in the back and then turned the power on, where it flashed to the startup screen and hung there. Indicator light flashes yellow 10 times and then nothing.

No indicator lights while it's hanging. I've plugged it back into the computer (I had to reset it again and plug it in while the indicator light was still flashing, otherwise, it did not seem to recognize the connection) I charged it for another eight hours, (same hangups) I've also deleted all my books.

Anything else I can try? I really don't want to send it to Sony if I can help it because I'm in Korea right now and it will take for.ev.er. to get it back.
doublekross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #2
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Do you have acces to a psp charger?The 700 has the same power requirements as the 505 right, i dont own one so im not sure the psp charger would work on it. I know your reader is charged but maybe it would help to "kick" it out the hang.

Try removing all the books from the memory card and the internal memory.

Reset it again but just leave it alone for a while, it might be parsing the books you have on it (it might take a while to boot up if you have too many books)

My internet is slow right now but you should search in the 700 and 505 forum for people with Readers that wont boot up, maybe what they did might help you.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2009, 11:02 AM   #3
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
It sounds like the Reader's Fsk firmware it trying to load, but cannot complete it all the way to the menu. You need a "Format Internal Memory" fix...

Connect the reader to your PC, then reset it (and turn it back on). When it comes up, it should go into the "Do not disconnect" state. Now you can remove everything from the "external disk", which is visible on your PC. Most probably the media.xml file is corrupted (you can try removing it first), but it may be one of the book files. If it won't let you remove any of the files, you may have to reformat.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #4
doublekross
doublekross began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS700
Thanks porkupan. I did give it another charge with a psp charger, deleted everything from the disk (the book files were already deleted, but I deleted all of the media.xml files I could find) and then after a hard reset, it was finally working again. Whew! I'm just glad to have my reader back!
doublekross is offline   Reply With Quote