Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-10-2008, 10:58 PM   #1
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Bought a Reader Today

Hello all,

After several days of consideration, I decided on the Sony Reader and picked it up at the Sony Style store today. I got the blue one and have added 30 some odd books to it. Only one was a purchase.

This forum has been invaluable in my decision. I need to get a charger. I'm thinking of getting a PSP power and data cable as that is the cheapest option I can get tomorrow. I'm off to Europe on Sunday and want to make sure I have more than one charging option as USB only is soooo slow.

Thanks to all of you. Although I haven't asked any questions, I have read hundreds of posts to get my questions answered. This place is a wealth of knowledge and deeply appreciated.

Now to reading (1945 by Robert Conroy).

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 11:11 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Congratulations! I hope you enjoy your new reader!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2008, 05:14 AM   #3
edwinvr
edwinvr began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
You can also buy power adapters on which you can plug an usb cable. Works great and you can power up all your usb devices as soon as there is an power outlet They are not even expensive.
edwinvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 05:19 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Dedicated PSP chargers will charge the Reader a lot faster than a USB charger will, because USB power is restricted to 2A at 5V (ie 10W); the charger socket can draw more power and charge faster.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
Congratulations! We look forward to hearing your Reader stories when you get back.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2008, 07:52 AM   #6
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDaneel54 View Post
Hello all,

After several days of consideration, I decided on the Sony Reader and picked it up at the Sony Style store today.

Dean
Several days? I obsessed for like three months over it (only because I hate to spend money when I don't have to, though). Good for you!
Old 07-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
RDaneel54 enjoy the Sony. I got the power charger from Sony and like it fine. It charges up the 505 a lot faster and you can read while it's charging. Also, it's rated for 110 to 220 and 50 to cycles or whatever the term is meaning it'll work in Europe. All you need is a plug adapter.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 08:52 AM   #8
RDaneel54
Aging Positronic Brain
RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RDaneel54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Oasis; iPhone, iPad Mini
Thanks, all.

I'm kind of going 3 directions today. I really would like to just sit and read, but the iPod Touch 2.0 software comes out today (if I could just download it!!!), and I want to get a charger, and I want to play around with my new Reader. Plus, it's granddaughter day (which is #1 priority). I think maybe I planned too many things for today!

To say I'm of two minds today is an understatement. Especially as I am leaving Sunday. It will be my 3rd trip to Germany this year and about my twentieth overall, so it's not a major freak out deal, but I do want to be electronically prepared. The Reader will just add to the trip enjoyment as 9 hour flights can be a "bit" boring.

I'm also going to Asia in August for 2 weeks and Alaska at the end of this month, so I have lots of book loading, etc. I already added a major work-related Word document to my Reader - it is almost readable :-) for my aging, progressive lens, eyes.

After several years of reading e-books on my Palm, reading on the 505 is a joy. I no longer have to change the page every 20 words!

Dean
RDaneel54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:31 AM   #9
jerryleejr
Koby-rific!
jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.jerryleejr can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Sage,Kobo Aura One, Glo HD,PRS-T1,PRS-950, PRS 300, PRS 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
Several days? I obsessed for like three months over it (only because I hate to spend money when I don't have to, though). Good for you!
OH how I feel your PAIN!!!

JJ
jerryleejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:13 PM   #10
astrodad
Guru

And now I'm obsessing over spending $200 to break my contract with T-Mobile just to get the iPhone. Cash isn't an issue, but is it a responsible thing to do? Probably not, which is why I my greed for gadgets is wrestling with my conscience.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:18 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jplumey View Post
And now I'm obsessing over spending $200 to break my contract with T-Mobile just to get the iPhone. Cash isn't an issue, but is it a responsible thing to do? Probably not, which is why I my greed for gadgets is wrestling with my conscience.
Just give the phone to someone out of your local area, where you would be "roaming" and have them use it ALOT. T-Mobile will cancel you.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:30 PM   #12
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Or charge you hundreds to thousands of dollars.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:57 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Or charge you hundreds to thousands of dollars.
Why? If you are within your alloted minutes they can't charge you more than your contract allows.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #14
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
The charging option the OP noted (a PSP data/charge cable)is the best option. It will work with any usb port or wall wort and charges thru the power socket. The Sony power adapter is overpriced and kludgy. (I think they still charge $30 for it! You can get smaller PSP chargers for around $10, maybe less.) And general USB chargers are iffy (some will *drain* the 505!). The OP has it right.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote