Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #46
Demingy
Groupie
Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Demingy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2
I absolutely agree with the suggestion for the Otherland series by Tad Williams and have to add his Shadowmarch series as well.
Demingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsn View Post
I notice that the bundle of the first 4 of Mary Stewart's Merlin series is available on the Canadian kobo site for $7.78 CDN. This is actually cheaper than the $6.99 price (or was it $6.69?) US on smashwords given the exchange rate. (I noticed this just *after* I bought from smashwords. I swear I checked on kobo before and after buying on smashwords, and it appeared on kobo within minutes of my smashwords purchase. Weird.)

Also other books of hers are available as ebooks on various sites, which I noticed by searching with calibre's "get books" functionality. Here's the link for kobo:
It is the SAME illegal copy that is at Smashwords because it came from Smashwords.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2014, 08:43 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Hmph. You guys are tough on my BUDGET! (It's nice to have a kid in the family, albeit my DH's, with whom to relate. The rest really aren't kindred spirits. I didn't know I even LIKED the little buggers until now.).

Hitch
Go to Amazon and have a look at used copies. You will be able to get a lot of books for less then you would new.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:44 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demingy View Post
I absolutely agree with the suggestion for the Otherland series by Tad Williams and have to add his Shadowmarch series as well.
Shadowmarch is on my TBR list. I plan on reading it in 2015.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:24 AM   #50
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It is the SAME illegal copy that is at Smashwords because it came from Smashwords.
Thanks, Wolfie:

I was going to mention that myself.

I have "Otherland" on my list for him, too.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2014, 02:35 AM   #51
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura one, htc 10, kobo glo hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewitt View Post
The Sword of Truth is a very nice series
Quote:
what I want to avoid is anything with graphic violence of any kind, or any overt/graphic sexual or other content like that as the total escapist/innocent air of LotR
Given the above content requests, I'm going to highly recommend NOT going with The Sword of Truth.

It's an okay series and I know many who like/love it (though I've lost my taste for it) - but "innocent escapism" it is not.
peachiekene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 03:11 AM   #52
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
Given the above content requests, I'm going to highly recommend NOT going with The Sword of Truth.

It's an okay series and I know many who like/love it (though I've lost my taste for it) - but "innocent escapism" it is not.
Hmm. Well, LOTR is hardly "non-violent," no matter how you try to overlook it. It certainly has no graphic sexual references, that's true.

What about the big Melanie Rawn series that she DID finish? The Sunrunner's Fire series, I think it was called? Started with "Dragon Prince?" It then had a sequel trilogy--"Stronghold," I think. I don't believe she ever finished that other one--"Exiles" trilogy (that wasn't)--the Ruins of Ambrai was the first one, so don't read THAT one. I remember reading the first two (books in that purported, to-be trilogy) and being frustrated as hell when the third one just NEVER materialized, and I mean, NEVER, over a decade or more, IIRC. More like two decades, almost?

What I remember vividly about the Dragon Prince trilogy and its successor was that it had a lot of "family" moments. Families with kids playing, focus on that sort of thing--extremely unusual in fantasy and sci-fi. It was something my own mother, now passed, really liked.

Just a thought.

Hitch
Old 12-29-2014, 03:14 AM   #53
thewitt
Zealot
thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thewitt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iBooks
Maybe stick with Chronicles of Narnia then.
thewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 02:25 PM   #54
peachiekene
Fanatic
peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peachiekene ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmm. Well, LOTR is hardly "non-violent," no matter how you try to overlook it. It certainly has no graphic sexual references, that's true.
I was more referring to the fact that TSoT has very graphic rape and torture in it.
Old 12-29-2014, 02:56 PM   #55
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachiekene View Post
I was more referring to the fact that TSoT has very graphic rape and torture in it.
Indeed. Are we now discussing the OP's request, or mine? I've tried to bow out of this thread, as I thread-jacked it, inadvertently--I have another thread going here in the e-Book General sub-forum, so that the OP can actually get recs for her Mum. ;-) HOWEVER, given what she's stated as prefs for her mum, it's likely you're right on that front, as well.

Hitch
Old 12-29-2014, 08:57 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've received a replay to my comment about the Mary Stewart books up on Smashwords.

Quote:
Thank you for reporting this. I will investigate this book and take any appropriate actions if warranted.
I'll be keeping an eye on this and see what happens.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:53 PM   #57
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by missimpossible View Post
My mum is a massive LotR fan, is very fond of the story and the characters and the general themes of the book. I'm looking for recommendations of similarly epic stories with high stakes involved and good triumphing over evil. I'm not awfully well versed in high fantasy but what I want to avoid is anything with graphic violence of any kind, or any overt/graphic sexual or other content like that as the total escapist/innocent air of LotR is part of what she likes about it. Also anything that brings the magic system to the fore isn't her cup of tea - she tried Sabriel and other similar things and was put off by the prominence of the magic system - "a wizard did it" type magic (if any) would be more suitable.

Does anyone have any recommendations? It doesn't need to be fantasy, just epic in scale, though a fantastical element would probably help.
My go-to rec for escapist fantasy is Andre Norton or Patricia C. Wrede. Wrede's book usually involve magic that's innate or presented as a natural part of the world, Norton's magic is often mystical and poorly understood, and is part of the hero/ine's tools instead of being front-and-center.

Wrede's Enchanted Forest series is an excellent all-ages fantasy series that starts small and ends with saving a kingdom. Her Lyra series is good epic fantasy with more of an adventure focus. Her Kate and Cecy series is fantasy Regency fiction - hilarious and a good romance as well as a good adventure that covers all of Europe.
http://pcwrede.com/books/

Andre Norton's Witch World series is basically multiple series of epic fantasy interconnected. I really liked Key of the Keplian, the original Witch World series (although this is kind of science fantasy), and Year of the Unicorn. Her Carolus Rex series is also good escapist fantasy, and I also really liked The Smell of Magic from the Five Senses group.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Norton_bibliography

Last edited by Rbneader; 12-29-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 12:11 AM   #58
peachiekene
Fanatic

Quote:
Indeed. Are we now discussing the OP's request, or mine? <snip> HOWEVER, given what she's stated as prefs for her mum, it's likely you're right on that front, as well.
The OP's.

I wouldn't attempt to deter someone from reading the books, if that's what they wanted, but given the preferences stated I do think some caution is warranted.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:23 AM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Another good series Shannara series by Terry Brooks. I suggest reading in chronological order.

Word & Void
Running with the Demon
A Knight of the Word
Angel Fire East

Genesis of Shannara
Armageddon's Children
The Elves of Cintra
The Gypsy Morph

Legends of Shannara
Bearers of the Black Staff
The Measure of the Magic

Shannara
First King of Shannara

Paladins of Shannara
Allanon's Quest

Shannara
The Sword of Shannara

Paladins of Shannara
The Black Irix

Shannara
The Elfstones of Shannara

Paladins of Shannara
The Weapons Master's Choice

Shannara
The Wishsong of Shannara
Indomitable-The Epilogue to The Wishsong of Shannara

Heritage of Shannara
The Scions of Shannara
The Druid of Shannara
The Elf Queen of Shannara
The Talismans of Shannara

Voyage of the Jerle Shannara
Ilse Witch
Antrax
Morgawr

High Druid of Shannara
Jarka Ruus
Tanequil
Straken

Dark Legacy of Shannara
Wards of Faerie
Bloodfire Quest
Witch Wraith

Defenders of Shannara
The High Druid's Blade
Old 12-31-2014, 03:12 PM   #60
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
..Shannara...
The only Shannara book I tried had a bunch of rape in it. I really don't think it's what the OP is looking for.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote