Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: If a title has DRM which you cannot strip, do you:
Still purchase the title, even if locked to a device/server 45 23.56%
Look for alternatives, including "pirate" sites, but if not found, purchase the DRM-ed title 30 15.71%
Refuse to purchase, either wait for a breakable DRM version, or "pirate" 116 60.73%
Voters: 191. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-17-2009, 10:10 PM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
The death of print ... (or, does DRM drive you to piracy?)

First, a short poll regarding DRM-ed titles.

Then, this from the Huff Post:

The Death of Print Doesn't Have to Mean the Death of Publishing

But, Steve Haber is delusional about having "the right DRM measures in place."

DRM is what makes this cartoon ring so true:

cartoon is from http://xkcd.com/488/

Last edited by Sonist; 12-17-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:21 PM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I'd like to state the correlary...

(Sorry, I can't even draw stick figures! or spell.)

Dear creative artist.

Would you like to try for the brass ring of your work being remembered 500 years from now?

If so, don't ever DRM your work. Otherwise, it won't even be usable 50 years from now.

On the other hand, creative artist, if what you want is to make the most money up front as the "flavor of the week", and don't care whether your work is remembered week after next, then use the toughest DRM you can find...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:05 PM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
I cannot choose any of the options. I would refuse to purchase and wait for a version with DRM that I can remove. But I would not go for the pirated file.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I answered that I would buy that title but that's only true for something I really want to read. If I'm lukewarm about it, I skip it altogether.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 11:49 PM   #5
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I picked option 3, since you are of course talking about ebooks, but what I'd actually do would be buy the pbook (assuming there is one, and it's a book I really wanted now).

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:09 AM   #6
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Still purchase. Have a kindle, don't really mind DRM as I buy stuff I'll only read once.

If it's the rare book I want to re-read, I'll buy the hardcover cheap sometime down the road.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:25 AM   #7
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Buy the unbreakable DRM version, then get the pirate version for posterity.

Everyone wins!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:34 AM   #8
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Buy the unbreakable DRM version, then get the pirate version for posterity.

Everyone wins!
That sounds perfect! I have a lot of books on my Palm, bought from Fictionwise in secure e-reader format over a 5 year period. I would love to get them on my Hanvon in epub format.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:03 AM   #9
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Option D: Buy the print book second hand.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:47 AM   #10
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
For anyone outside the US I think geo-restrictions are a larger problem than DRM. I could live with a DRM-ed copy provided I can buy it. Most of the authors I'm interested in simply don't have ebooks available for purchase in my country. Fictionwise (as an example) has only 23 secure ePub books in Sci-fi available to me - non by authors I'm interested in. Geo restrictions are far more likely to drive me to piracy.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:04 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
If I can't get DRM off, i don't buy. For music, i bought the cd instead, for book, i'll sooner get the paperback.

Crusader, geo-restriction ARE drm.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:13 AM   #12
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
DRM used to drive me to piracy, now it just drives me away. Any writer or publisher who allows DRM on their work I bypass altogether. There's plenty of great fiction available without clueless DRM schemes and I won't put another penny into a system that promotes DRM.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:13 AM   #13
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I've always viewed them as 2 seperate issues, but I guess that geo-restrictions are yet another form of drm.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:35 AM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Still quite easy to get around those geo restrictions.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:32 AM   #15
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Option 3 for me! Definitely!
I just don't feel secure with drm, and I want to share books within my family, without parting with my device.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote