Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-05-2009, 04:11 PM   #166
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You are very welcome. Happy to help. The copy of the version 5 upgrade on the Russion website assumes you've started with version 4 and upgraded to every version along the way. The version 5 update here I stored so all you have to do is install version 4 and then update to version 5.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:34 PM   #167
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amystei View Post
I wanted to make sure I thanked all the folks here for all the great information on converting pdfs to lrfs, I really appreciated it. Harry T, I thanked you in another thread also, but too many thanks is not possible for your efforts. Patricia, your Hints and tips document was invaluable. Andybaby, your pictures and insight were extremely helpful as well.
You're very welcome, Amystei. I too found HarryT and JSWolf incredibly helpful when I was starting out a couple of years ago.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:32 PM   #168
Croker
Connoisseur
Croker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Voyage, obv.
Hello all!

I've been getting to grips with BD, but it's been a slow, painful process thus far (thanks for your guide, though, HarryT - it's been a great help, as you'll see below!).

Anyway, I have a few queries relating to my first attempt at turning a html file into an lrf for my PRS-505.

I managed to get through the whole process by slavishly following HarryT's guide (and that's no bad thing, by the way), but a few issues have arisen that I need help with.

First of all, whatever I do, I cannot seem to put images into BD when I'm editing a file. I know adding a picture is supposed to be a drag-and-drop affair, but whenever I drag a picture over to use, I get an error noise and a dialogue box saying "?????? ??????? ???????? d:files\ebooks\author name\book name\file name" appears. I click "OK" on this same box, and that's it. Nothing happens, and no images appear in the file. Can anyone help?

Secondly, I set up a TOC as per HarryT's instructions, and it worked nicely (as in, it links to all the correct chapters). However, I notice that the underlining on the contents page (to show that each line of text is a link) only goes under the first word. So, if I have a chapter named "Monkeys", it will appear as "Monkeys". However, if I have a chapter named "Monkeys Are Huge Fun", then it will appear on the TOC as "Monkeys Are Huge Fun", which does not appear at all neat or tidy. Is this is a limitation of the software/reader, or can something be done about this?

Thirdly, where exactly does BD save files that you're working on? I followed HarryT's instructions fully, and whilst I was working on my file, I regularly saved changes I made. I then copied over the "lastfile" folder so I could amend things, and although the lrf I made shows all the changes I made, the BD file in the "lastfile" folder is the vanilla file with no changes. How can I avoid this in future, and where did I go wrong?

Finally, what fonts, if any, can I change to when preparing an lrf file for a PRS-505? Do I need to modify my Reader in any way to accept/install new fonts? I find the "standard" font to be a little bland, and I've been more impressed with the look of the ePub books I've bought so far (I thought David Simon's "Homicide" looked great). The standard look on the Reader is fine, but I'd like to improve it (to my eyes, at least!) if at all possible.

I realise these are rather rambling and vague questions, but any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
Croker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:07 PM   #169
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

1. Pictures are not drag and drop. Click on the insert menu and select "insert picture." (Or click F5).
2. The underlined links are a "feature." Sorry. (But if links weren't underlined, then you wouldn't realise that there were any links.)
If you don't like an underlined first word, then try adding section numbers, then only the number is underlined in "1. Monkeys are Fun."
3. As I have pointed out in my BD hints and tips, it is a good idea to make a BD book file very shortly after importing the book. (Go to Make ebooks and select Book Designer book. This is typically stored in my computer/c drive/program files/ Book Designer 4/BD.)

I've covered some of these queries in the Book Designer Hints and Tips thread here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36908
I hope it helps.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #170
Patricia
Reader

And you can import new fonts. In the make "sony reader book" pane, click on the styles tab and edit and import away.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #171
Croker
Connoisseur
Croker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enoughCroker will become famous soon enough

Hi Patricia!

Thanks for the tips. As for the images, I'm fairly certain that HarryT's guide does show BD as being capable for dealing with drag and drop (although, obviously, I'm willing to stand corrected!). However, if I press F5 to insert, and browse to where the image is, it won't insert it either! Any suggestions?

I understand why links are underlined, and I think that's fine. However, my issue is that it doesn't underline the whole chapter name, but just the first word. Your work-around of putting a number first is a sensible suggestion, though, so thanks for that. I'm pretty sure, though, that ePub can do this (if I'm remembering the TOC for my ePub copy of "Homicide" correctly), so in the longer term I may have to start down that road instead.

It's a poor "feature" though (IMO), as it's common practice for hyperlinks to be entirely underlined and - given that these are surely the inspiration for TOC links - I find it strange that the Reader should display them in such a way. Never mind!

Finally, I'm pretty certain that my Book Designer 4 folder does not contain a BD folder, as yours does. As such, I have no idea where - if at all - I was saving the book I was working on yesterday. Do you think that, if I create a BD folder within the Book Designer 4 folder, it will save them there? Or should I first select "Save As...", and specify where to save it, and continue that way?

Thanks for all your other advice, though, as well as the link to your "tips" document!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:50 PM   #172
Croker
Connoisseur

Aha. I found the solution to the image problem in this thread here.

Anyway, as HarryT's instructions note, images can be put into a BD file by drag-and-drop - I've just tested it now, and it works fine.

I'm still none the wiser as to where my files in progress are being saved. I actually don't think they're being saved anywhere, to be honest. I've created a "BD" folder inside my "Book Designer 4.0" folder, but to no avail. Out of interest, when saving, I should only have to click on the "save" icon for the file to be saved in this "BD" folder, right?

I can't use "Save as..." as a workaround, either, because that doesn't let me choose .html0 as a file format to save in.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide on this on, to be honest!
Old 02-12-2009, 01:06 PM   #173
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croker View Post
I'm still none the wiser as to where my files in progress are being saved. I actually don't think they're being saved anywhere, to be honest. I've created a "BD" folder inside my "Book Designer 4.0" folder, but to no avail. Out of interest, when saving, I should only have to click on the "save" icon for the file to be saved in this "BD" folder, right?

I can't use "Save as..." as a workaround, either, because that doesn't let me choose .html0 as a file format to save in.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide on this on, to be honest!
I read a post from Crutledge that pointed out BD saves to a Temp subfolder while it's up and running - that's the case for me too when I'm running BD.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:09 PM   #174
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
1. Pictures are not drag and drop. Click on the insert menu and select "insert picture." (Or click F5).
They are for me . Drag and drop from a Windows Explorer window are the way that I always insert pictures into a book!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #175
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croker View Post
Thirdly, where exactly does BD save files that you're working on? I followed HarryT's instructions fully, and whilst I was working on my file, I regularly saved changes I made. I then copied over the "lastfile" folder so I could amend things, and although the lrf I made shows all the changes I made, the BD file in the "lastfile" folder is the vanilla file with no changes. How can I avoid this in future, and where did I go wrong?
The "lastfile" folder is only written to when you exit BD. Where does it save files when you click the "Save" button and don't exit the program? To be perfectly honest with you, I have absolutely no idea! I come out of BD every so often and copy the "lastfile" folder somewhere safe to save my work.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:34 PM   #176
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Croker, if you run Vista, please take a look in this thread on how to install BD via Vista. There are some steps that need to be taken that you don't have to do with XP.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #177
Croker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Croker, if you run Vista, please take a look in this thread on how to install BD via Vista. There are some steps that need to be taken that you don't have to do with XP.
JSWolf - I do run Vista, yes, but I followed the Vista instructions to install, so I think everything's alright on that front! Hopefully I haven't just jinxed myself by saying that, though.

HarryT - I see! I didn't know it saved it when I exited the program...I'll tinker around and see what I come up with.

I'm finding BD an incredibly useful tool, just horrible in design on occasion. I'm getting used to its "quirks", though, slowly but surely.

Thanks again for all the info, though!
Old 02-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #178
Patricia
Reader

Well, the simplest way to resolve the problem is to make a BD book and see where it goes. I expect that it would be stored in my comptuter/c drive/program files/ Book Designer 4.0/BD. That's where mine go.
And it does mean that the file is available at a lter date for corrections etc.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #179
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The best way to know where BD is saving your files is go to settings and click the set path button. Then you can set where it saves the files you will be generating such as the HTML0 and LRF files. I've done that and mine go where I want when I save / create.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #180
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I've got Book Designer running, working on a file called 'BD Perpetual Curate.html0'.
The time now is 21:38 and I have saved the file several times recently - what I see is:

'Book Designer 4.0\LastFile\BD Perpetual Curate.html0' is timestamped 15:05 - an old version from earlier today.

'Book Designer 4.0\Temp\tmp1\1\BD Perpetual Curate.html0' is timestamped 21:37 - the current version I'm working on.

When I exit Book Designer, the 'Temp\tmp1\1\BD Perpetual Curate.html0' structure will disappear, and the 'LastFile\BD Perpetual Curate.html0' will then get updated.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner