Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Downloading Personal Documents over 3G...for free?

I enabled my settings to allow downloading through 3G and set the maximum charge to $0.00. I thought that it wasn't going to let me download through 3G for free, but the other day I tried it again and it let me download several personal documents. I checked my settings again and it's still set to zero charge. Is it a fluke or does it mean that my personal documents are so small as to be able to be sent through without charge? Or is it something else? I wanted to make sure I wasn't somehow going to be charged at a later date if I tried to download by 3G again.
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I haven't used this feature for a while, but I have a notion that it is entirely free. Or maybe there's a trigger for super-large files, so Amazon doesn't get burdened by excessive use?
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
sneakyspider
Ereader Addicts Anonymous
sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sneakyspider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (2)KO2, PW7thGen., KT2, iPadMini1
Maybe that's it. It's just, I could've sworn that others, along with my own personal experience, have told me that it's free to download Amazon bought books, but not personal documents, but I tried it again just now and i was able to download several Personal Documents through 3G. I guess that means it's free?
sneakyspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I think it's free! but only nationally for non-Amazon content.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just sent a bunch of personal documents to my new Kindle 3G and I have my personal documents setting to $0.00 as well, and I'm in Australia.

I wonder if it's a discretionary thing, or a certain threshold applies.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
$0.00 limit actually means that charge limit is disabled. The counter updates every 10 days. At the end of the month, you'll have a nice bill to be sure.

(Actually, I don't know zilch about this, but I couldn't pass up my chance for an instant scare )
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually - reading what's on the Amazon site, it's a bit confusing. It looks like the limit applies if I send a document to my Kindle via email using 3G. However, in this case I just went to the Manage your Kindle page and delivered to my Kindle from there.

Additionally, Personal Documents show up in your Archive/Cloud. So what I did was the equivalent of selecting a book from my cloud and sending it to my Kindle.

It's not clear in the charges section that both actions are the same from a charging perspective even though there really isn't a difference between the two.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Actually - reading what's on the Amazon site, it's a bit confusing. It looks like the limit applies if I send a document to my Kindle via email using 3G. However, in this case I just went to the Manage your Kindle page and delivered to my Kindle from there.

Additionally, Personal Documents show up in your Archive/Cloud. So what I did was the equivalent of selecting a book from my cloud and sending it to my Kindle.

It's not clear in the charges section that both actions are the same from a charging perspective even though there really isn't a difference between the two.
Just download over WiFi and you don't have to worry about the 3G charges. I own a K3 with 3G and have the 3G Personal Documents disabled. You can do this now. So no charges show up.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:06 AM   #9
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Absolutely! I had planned to operate this way. However as soon as my PW arrived this morning all my planning went out the window in my excitement. By the way, sync of personal documents between PW and Android is lovely.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:13 AM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Absolutely! I had planned to operate this way. However as soon as my PW arrived this morning all my planning went out the window in my excitement. By the way, sync of personal documents between PW and Android is lovely.
Do you not have WiFi? I never use 3G unless I'm traveling. I love the personal documents cloud. Be sure to install Send to Kindle if you haven't already.

I do love sync but now I have my PW I don't use it much.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:54 AM   #11
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Yep - have Send to Kindle and I have Calibre also set up for sharing by email to my various Kindles/apps.

Oh - hold the phone! I think I have something. I was able to use my "Manage Your Kindle" page to deliver personal documents to my PW despite the fact that I have "Whispernet Delivery over 3G" set to disabled in my "Personal Document Settings" page.

From this, I take it that the only option that is charged is the email to Kindle functionality. The other self-service options - "Cloud" or "Archive" on the Kindle itself and the "Manage Your Kindle" page are both free services via 3G.