Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #166
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmf2 View Post
Was this the one promised by Amazon Andrew who said the issues were fixed?
No, this is the one I ordered over a month ago, as I need one as a present. I ordered one for myself as soon as they could be preordered, and one as a present a few days later.
What with all the defective units that needed replacement, my delivery date kept being pushed out, I think.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:24 PM   #167
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I went ahead and picked up the iPad mini. I'm enjoying it a lot and love the Kindle app. It's so light and doesn't feel heavier than the Kindle Paperwhite I had before. I like the option of using different apps but I'll stick to the Kindle app 90% of the time.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:58 PM   #168
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Glad you like it, techiegirl! Did you get an official cover for it as well?
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 11:08 PM   #169
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Glad you like it, techiegirl! Did you get an official cover for it as well?
Yes I did. I'm not sure if it's really that necessary, but they didn't have anything else. I don't think I'll be using it as a stand.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #170
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I'd really appreciate some input from owners of the lighted K3 cover:

Still seeking a workable alternative to PW for reading in the dark, I got the lighted cover for my Kindle Keyboard from Amazon after reading glowing reviews here and on Amazon, specifically that it lights the whole page, and not just the corner.

The cover just arrived I'm really shocked at how it truly does not provide enough light across the page to read in the dark, and concentrates primarily in the corner, just as pictured in the Amazon photo (the top review reassures that the light fully casts upon the page.)

Why there is so much discrepancy between my experience and that of others? I'd like to hear what your own experience is with it before I return another handful of Amazon products.

Now I'm considering getting the new basic Kindle with the better contrast and I'm looking for a bright, white light similar to that of the Mighty Bright Xflex2, but without the weight and awkwardness of the 3 AA batteries. Any suggestions?

tl;dr: 1) why isn't my lighted cover as good as everyone says it is? 2) which booklight is as bright as a Mighty Bright Xflex2 but is less heavy due to batteries?
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #171
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I find I sometimes have to hold down the light in my k3 lighted cover to get the bottom left corner of my page, but in general I have no problem reading it in the dark (as our last power outage showed)... but I think the k4's lighted cover is a much better design.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #172
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post

Still seeking a workable alternative to PW for reading in the dark, I got the lighted cover for my Kindle Keyboard from Amazon after reading glowing reviews here and on Amazon, specifically that it lights the whole page, and not just the corner.

The cover just arrived I'm really shocked at how it truly does not provide enough light across the page to read in the dark, and concentrates primarily in the corner, just as pictured in the Amazon photo (the top review reassures that the light fully casts upon the page.)

Why there is so much discrepancy between my experience and that of others? I'd like to hear what your own experience is with it before I return another handful of Amazon products.

Now I'm considering getting the new basic Kindle with the better contrast and I'm looking for a bright, white light similar to that of the Mighty Bright Xflex2, but without the weight and awkwardness of the 3 AA batteries. Any suggestions?

tl;dr: 1) why isn't my lighted cover as good as everyone says it is? 2) which booklight is as bright as a Mighty Bright Xflex2 but is less heavy due to batteries?
Mighty Bright Travel Flex. It's super light weight uses 1 AAA battery that lasts forever. You clip it on the cover of your Kindle. I've had mine for a few years and I use it nightly not to read but for a night light. I own the Xtra Flex2 and that's hubby's night light. It way to clunky but the Travel Flex works great! Cheaper too.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #173
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Mighty Bright Travel Flex. It's super light weight uses 1 AAA battery that lasts forever. You clip it on the cover of your Kindle. I've had mine for a few years and I use it nightly not to read but for a night light. I own the Xtra Flex2 and that's hubby's night light. It way to clunky but the Travel Flex works great! Cheaper too.
Thanks, that's one of the two brands of lights I just ordered.

I don't know if my Fire HD has the same weight and dimensions of your Fire, but I find it very difficult to hold in one hand (at kind of a 45-degree angle) while lying down on my side. My fingers constantly activate the bookmark and highlight the text, because holding it just at the very edge causes the slippery, heavy device to slide out of my hands. Do you have this problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I find I sometimes have to hold down the light in my k3 lighted cover to get the bottom left corner of my page, but in general I have no problem reading it in the dark (as our last power outage showed)... but I think the k4's lighted cover is a much better design.
I did try that, but it was still too dim to read. Thanks. I'm sending it back.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #174
AZImmortal
Zealot
AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AZImmortal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Nexus 7
Quote:

I have the lighted cover, and although the light obviously isn't uniformly even across the screen, I find that it works great and lights up the entire screen. Without directly comparing our covers, there's no way for me to tell if yours is defective, but maybe you can ask for an exchange. There's also the possibility that maybe we have different expectations for the same product, but as I said earlier, there's no way for me to tell without directly comparing our covers. Maybe you can upload a picture of how yours looks so that we have at least some idea of what you're seeing. The tricky thing with lighting is that it's hard to capture exactly what you're seeing due to things like the camera's settings, sensors, dynamic range, etc, but at least we'd have an idea.
AZImmortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:16 AM   #175
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

I don't know if my Fire HD has the same weight and dimensions of your Fire, but I find it very difficult to hold in one hand (at kind of a 45-degree angle) while lying down on my side. My fingers constantly activate the bookmark and highlight the text, because holding it just at the very edge causes the slippery, heavy device to slide out of my hands. Do you have this problem?
Get a book beenie so you don't have to hold it at all. I plan to and several here and on Kindle boards own these. I read holding the KF on my chest or throw pillow. I do have a cover though.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:48 AM   #176
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZImmortal View Post
I have the lighted cover, and although the light obviously isn't uniformly even across the screen, I find that it works great and lights up the entire screen. Without directly comparing our covers, there's no way for me to tell if yours is defective, but maybe you can ask for an exchange. There's also the possibility that maybe we have different expectations for the same product, but as I said earlier, there's no way for me to tell without directly comparing our covers. Maybe you can upload a picture of how yours looks so that we have at least some idea of what you're seeing. The tricky thing with lighting is that it's hard to capture exactly what you're seeing due to things like the camera's settings, sensors, dynamic range, etc, but at least we'd have an idea.
I agree. I have a lighted cover for my Kindle keyboard and touch. Although I'm using the paperwhite these days, I found the lighting adequate even though it was uneven. I also used a kandle clip light which was quite nice too. I've tried various clip on lights and a lighted cover for my old Sony PRS-300 and I have to say the kindle lighted cover and the kandle were the best.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:38 PM   #177
baggyrinkle
Early Adoptor
baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.baggyrinkle 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle3 Kindle4 Kindle Fire Kindle PW2
Quote:

I did try that, but it was still too dim to read. Thanks. I'm sending it back.
I had the same problem with my Fire non hd. I was very disappointed because it was almost too slippery to hold.

The Mareware Axis Genuine leather cover $44.95 solved that because it's "built-in interior hand strap provides for comfortable one-handed reading/viewing"

Otherwise I might have returned my Fire.
baggyrinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #178
Michele
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggyrinkle View Post
I had the same problem with my Fire non hd. I was very disappointed because it was almost too slippery to hold.

The Mareware Axis Genuine leather cover $44.95 solved that because it's "built-in interior hand strap provides for comfortable one-handed reading/viewing"

Wow, if anyone with a Fire (non-HD) is looking for a similar cover with hand strap, this one is on sale for $5 instead of $50!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #179
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggyrinkle View Post

This is my case. I paid $7 total for it. No hand hold but I agree it does help to have a case to hold the KF. I need to get a new one. Mine is pretty worn and soft that I couldn't travel with it two weeks ago because I didn't think it would protect well enough. I've had it since last November so for the price it was a good case now I have to find something else.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:59 PM   #180
Michele
Addict

Blossom: see above. Maybe that'll work for you.

Thank you to all the patient people here who've answered my many questions. You'll be relieved to hear that I’m done with my current Amazon quest. I want to preface this with the fact that I’ve done very frequent business with Amazon for 12 years now, but have only returned fewer than 10 defective items in all this time":
Current 2-week final tally:
Kindle Paperwhite – returned, defective
Kindle Paperwhite replacement – returned, defective
Paperwhite case – returned, no longer needed
Kindle Fire HD 7” – returned, defective
Kindle Fire case – returned, no longer needed
Grantwood book light – returned, defective
Lighted case for Kindle 3 – returned, not as bright as advertised
MightyBright travel booklight – kept
-----------------------------------------------
Net result? One cheap booklight.
Now I’m waiting for a ton of refunds.