Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-31-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
h3 causing nav problems in epub to mobi

I'm using Calibre to convert from a Sigil created e-pub to mobi and I'm viewing the mobi on a Kindle3. I created a simple epub file as example of what is going wrong. (attached to this message) I have a series of headings that I use to create a ToC using the built in Sigil feature. The ToC looks and works fine in Calibre's viewers and on the Kindle. The H's below are the different heading levels...

H1-1
-H2-2
-H2-3
--H3-4
--H3-5
--H3-6
-H2-7
--H3-8
H1-9
-H2-10
--H3-11
H1-12
H1-13

But when I look at it on the Kindle and try to jump to "chapters" using the 4-way navigator, it skips several of them as indicated below.

H1-1
-H2-2
-H2-3 skips
--H3-4
--H3-5
--H3-6
-H2-7 skips
--H3-8
H1-9 skips
-H2-10 skips
--H3-11
H1-12
H1-13

I tried breaking them up into real chapters but it still skipped.

I've never had this problem on e-pubs that only had two levels of h tags. I include the code from the epub book below followed by part of the toc.nxc.

Please forgive me if there is something silly I'm missing.

Code:
<h1 id="heading_id_2">H1-1</h1>
<h2 id="heading_id_3">H2-2</h2>
<h2 id="heading_id_4">H2-3</h2>
<h3 id="heading_id_5">H3-4</h3>
<h3 id="heading_id_6">H3-5</h3>
<h3 id="heading_id_7">H3-6</h3>
<h2 id="heading_id_8">H2-7</h2>
<h3 id="heading_id_9">H3-8</h3>
<h1 id="heading_id_10">H1-9</h1>
<h2 id="heading_id_11">H2-10</h2>
<h3 id="heading_id_12">H3-11</h3>
<h1 id="heading_id_13">H1-12</h1>
<h1 id="heading_id_14">H1-13</h1>
This is from epub's toc.nxc:

Code:
<navMap>
    <navPoint id="navPoint-1" playOrder="1">
      <navLabel>
        <text>H1-1</text>
      </navLabel>
      <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml" />
      <navPoint id="navPoint-2" playOrder="2">
        <navLabel>
          <text>H2-2</text>
        </navLabel>
        <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_3" />
      </navPoint>
      <navPoint id="navPoint-3" playOrder="3">
        <navLabel>
          <text>H2-3</text>
        </navLabel>
        <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_4" />
        <navPoint id="navPoint-4" playOrder="4">
          <navLabel>
            <text>H3-4</text>
          </navLabel>
          <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_5" />
        </navPoint>
        <navPoint id="navPoint-5" playOrder="5">
          <navLabel>
            <text>H3-5</text>
          </navLabel>
          <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_6" />
        </navPoint>
        <navPoint id="navPoint-6" playOrder="6">
          <navLabel>
            <text>H3-6</text>
          </navLabel>
          <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_7" />
        </navPoint>
      </navPoint>
      <navPoint id="navPoint-7" playOrder="7">
        <navLabel>
          <text>H2-7</text>
        </navLabel>
        <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_8" />
        <navPoint id="navPoint-8" playOrder="8">
          <navLabel>
            <text>H3-8</text>
          </navLabel>
          <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_9" />
        </navPoint>
      </navPoint>
    </navPoint>
    <navPoint id="navPoint-9" playOrder="9">
      <navLabel>
        <text>H1-9</text>
      </navLabel>
      <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_10" />
      <navPoint id="navPoint-10" playOrder="10">
        <navLabel>
          <text>H2-10</text>
        </navLabel>
        <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_11" />
        <navPoint id="navPoint-11" playOrder="11">
          <navLabel>
            <text>H3-11</text>
          </navLabel>
          <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_12" />
        </navPoint>
      </navPoint>
    </navPoint>
    <navPoint id="navPoint-12" playOrder="12">
      <navLabel>
        <text>H1-12</text>
      </navLabel>
      <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_13" />
    </navPoint>
    <navPoint id="navPoint-13" playOrder="13">
      <navLabel>
        <text>H1-13</text>
      </navLabel>
      <content src="Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_14" />
    </navPoint>
  </navMap>
Attached Files
File Type: epub NavigationTest1 - Unknown.epub (2.0 KB, 193 views)
File Type: mobi NavigationTest1 - Unknown.mobi (29.8 KB, 192 views)
BKh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

If no one has advice on the problem, I'm wondering if anyone could give me advice on a better way to ask the question, or if perhaps I have posted this in the wrong forum.

Even if someone was just willing to run the e-pub through Caliber and see if they get the same results on their Kindle that would be a start.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKh View Post
If no one has advice on the problem, I'm wondering if anyone could give me advice on a better way to ask the question, or if perhaps I have posted this in the wrong forum.

Even if someone was just willing to run the e-pub through Caliber and see if they get the same results on their Kindle that would be a start.
You are in the right place. No Answer usually means no one has a good idea.

Personally, I think you managed to find a 'edge case' that is confusing things.
H1, H2, H3 are header tags. You also have Headers named H1-n, H2-n, H3-n .

Try changing the names of the chapters from H# to Ch# or S#
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV PW4 PW3 PW2
I tested both your mobi and epub (coverted w/Calibre) on my Kindle 3 WiFi and could not replicate your problem. I tried them using various font sizes and types.

I have the latest software update(3.3), jailbreak 0.9, Screensaver 0.24, and USB Network 0.34 installed.
JimmyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
BKh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Personally, I think you managed to find a 'edge case' that is confusing things.
H1, H2, H3 are header tags. You also have Headers named H1-n, H2-n, H3-n .

Try changing the names of the chapters from H# to Ch# or S#
I named them that so it was easy to tell that some of the headings were being skipped, hence the 1-13. And I gave them the H1, H1, H3 names so it was easy to see which type of tags were being skipped.

I have the same problem in a real book where the headers are regular text.

Thanks for your reply. I'll make a new test document with different names for the headers.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:54 PM   #6
BKh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy-Jim View Post
I tested both your mobi and epub (coverted w/Calibre) on my Kindle 3 WiFi and could not replicate your problem. I tried them using various font sizes and types.

I have the latest software update(3.3), jailbreak 0.9, Screensaver 0.24, and USB Network 0.34 installed.
Thanks! I am also using 3.3, but mine is not jailbroken. I can't imagine that would be causing a difference. Strange...
Old 11-03-2011, 07:57 PM   #7
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
From what I recall (I ran into this last weekend):
When you do a epub->mobi conversion, the default option will append a regenerated (correct) ToC. The first ToC will be a more or less direct conversion of the EPUB version, however it uses a different method for lookup and will usually just seem to be text or broken links. When you go to the ToC, press next page a few times and you should land on a second ToC, which iirc is the correct mobi version.

There's an option to remove the existing ToC, as well as one to use a generated one, you should do both.
Serpentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #8
BKh
Zealot

@Serpentine
Perhaps I haven't explained the problem well. The ToC is perfect. No problem at all.

The problem is with using the 4-way nav to jump from one heading to the next. It skips some of the headings, as shown in my first post. Forgive me if I am not explaining correctly.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #9
Serpentine
Evangelist
Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serpentine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@Serpentine
The problem is with using the 4-way nav to jump from one heading to the next. It skips some of the headings, as shown in my first post. Forgive me if I am not explaining correctly.
For me, some would show up as text, and as such not be navigable(as you said, they are skipped), others were seemingly invalid as using them out do nothing and lastly a few remained that worked correctly.

The calibre ToC, which required me turning a few pages from the indexed ToC, worked perfectly and looked exactly the same.

I just mean : Make sure there's only a single ToC and it's been generated by calibre rather than based on the one supplied as part of the EPUB - as it's possible to end up with two.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
BKh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
For me, some would show up as text, and as such not be navigable(as you said, they are skipped),
Actually, that's not what I mean by skipped at all. I only have one toc and every link works fine and takes me to the proper places, even the ones that are skipped using the 4-way navigator.

When I say "skipped" I mean I start out at H1-1, press the 4-way and go to H2-2, press it again and I end up at H3-4, skipping H2-3.

Hope that helps.
Old 11-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
do other books nested TOC work with the 4-way?
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ
JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks! I am also using 3.3, but mine is not jailbroken. I can't imagine that would be causing a difference. Strange...
I wouldn't think so either.

Actually, I think I misunderstood the problem. I thought you were having problems with navigating the inline ToC itself. I do see the skips when using the controller (right) to go on to the following sections.

ETA: I did find this:
Quote:
One warning: if you create nested navpoints, only the first level of them will seem to show up on the Kindle, but the rest will apparently be there, but inaccessible until you navigate to where one of them should be, and then flick the controller back and forth. They'll still be invisible though, which can be very frustrating.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...94#post1114894

Apparently nested navpoints in toc.ncx behave a little flaky when navigating left and right.

Last edited by JimmyR; 11-03-2011 at 09:28 PM. Reason: Edited to add...
Old 11-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #13
Serpentine
Evangelist

Quote:
Hope that helps.
I'm on the same page with you.

And I'm looking at the ones that were not working for me now, I still have the file tho it's partly fixed, some still skip.

I noticed however, the ones that skipped all had a hyphen (- character) in them.
i.e "Chapter 12 - Concurrency Continued" this is skipped while a subheader of that, "Threading loopholes" works fine. The chapter's are set as h2's, h3's for subsections.

However in the later version where I forced it, this seems to be fine. That said, long ToC item names seem to confuse it if there's a hyphen and line wrapping (it goes to the previous chapter if selected)

Give it a go with the -'s replaced with something else, even if its not a true fix, it seems interesting.

Last edited by Serpentine; 11-03-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: wat
Old 11-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #14
BKh
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
Give it a go with the -'s replaced with something else, even if its not a true fix, it seems interesting.
Well, I re-made the test doc and attached it here. Took out the numbers and dashes but it still has the same problem.

@Jimmy-Jim
Thanks for finding that other thread. Now I don't feel so crazy. But it sounds like it is a problem with the Kindle, not incorrect coding.
Attached Files
File Type: epub NavigationTest2 - Unknown.epub (2.1 KB, 168 views)
File Type: mobi NavigationTest2 - Unknown.mobi (44.9 KB, 191 views)
Old 11-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #15
JimmyR
ɴₐɴ

Quote:
@Jimmy-Jim
Thanks for finding that other thread. Now I don't feel so crazy. But it sounds like it is a problem with the Kindle, not incorrect coding.
It is a problem with the Kindle. The kindle doesn't really support nested navpoints. Sorry for not making that clear.