Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-06-2011, 05:01 AM   #1
BonnieJoDouglas
Thespian Extraordinaire
BonnieJoDouglas began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm looking for a good comedy...

I love reading comedy books and wondered if any of you could recommend a good one?

I've read loads of chick-lits so am trying to stay away from that genre for now.

Any ideas?

BonnieJoDouglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:04 AM   #2
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Just finished Shit My Dad Says by Justin Halpern. I gave the book 4/5 stars. You will definitely be laughing out loud.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 05:35 AM   #3
BonnieJoDouglas
Thespian Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by odiakkoh View Post
Just finished Shit My Dad Says by Justin Halpern. I gave the book 4/5 stars. You will definitely be laughing out loud.
Oh great - I'll look into that one. There is a TV programme based on that book, I think. But it's called " *$!@ My Dad Says" or something along those lines!

I'll investigate. Ta very much!
Old 07-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
P.G. Wodehouse
Douglas Adams
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #5
BonnieJoDouglas
Thespian Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
P.G. Wodehouse
Douglas Adams
Oooh, thank you.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:52 AM   #6
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Terry Pratchett's Discworld series
Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
BonnieJoDouglas
Thespian Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Terry Pratchett's Discworld series
Connie Willis' To Say Nothing of the Dog
I've always been a little weary of Terry Pratchett. I'm not too keen on sci-fi books. I even struggle with The Hobbit/LOTR. I find it too wordy and dull (prepares for massive backlash and possibly people throwing things at me...!).

Is TP similar to LOTR or am I being a wuss for nothing?!
Old 07-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #8
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieJoDouglas View Post
I've always been a little weary of Terry Pratchett. I'm not too keen on sci-fi books. I even struggle with The Hobbit/LOTR. I find it too wordy and dull (prepares for massive backlash and possibly people throwing things at me...!).

Is TP similar to LOTR or am I being a wuss for nothing?!
I love TP and like you, struggled (and gave up) on Hobbit/LOTR. So I can safely say that Discworld is not even remotely similar!

Discworld doesn't have to be read in order so whenever I am recommending these I try to suggest an introductory Discworld book that suits the individual:

for rock music fans - Soul Music
for film fans - Moving Pictures
anyone who's seen Phantom of the Opera - Maskerade
vampire fiction - Carpe Jugulum
military - Monstrous Regiment
general - Last Continent.

Give them a try, you have nothing to lose!
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
The Night Life of the Gods by Thorne Smith is available here at the MR library. I loved it!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 03:50 PM   #10
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
The Rebel Angels by Robertson Davies. Not a comedy per se, but it had me howling with laughter at certain points in the novel.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Terry Pratchett is not scifi, it's fantasy satire.
Douglas Adams is not scifi, it's scifi satire.

Both awesome at that.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
The Rebel Angels by Robertson Davies. Not a comedy per se, but it had me howling with laughter at certain points in the novel.
:

I have a hard time finding comic novels in ebook format. Here's a few others that are only availabe in DTB.

Lucky Jim (Kingsley Amis)
The Loved One (Evelyn Waugh)
The Horse's Mouth (Joyce Cary)

Letters from the Earth (Mark Twain) is available here at MR.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
Ransom
Banned
Ransom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsRansom can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonnieJoDouglas View Post
I even struggle with The Hobbit/LOTR. I find it too wordy and dull (prepares for massive backlash and possibly people throwing things at me...!).
I feel the same way. What the fuss is about Tolkien I'll never understand. In fact, even most of his closest friends in the "Inklings" didn't care for it. They took turns reading from their work at their meetings, and once when Tolkien began to read, Hugo Dyson yelled, "Not another f***ing Elf!" Thenafter, Tolkien's stories were banned from the meetings for a time.

I just read The Worm Ouroboros by E. R. Eddison, which was supposed to have been a very big influence on Tolkien's work, and I must say I found him just as dull. Both he and Tolkien are great at settings, characters, and mood, but their stories just don't go anywhere. There's no light at the end of the tunnel.

On the bright side, Hobbits may seem dull, but wait till you get a few drinks down one!
Ransom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #14
moyogi2
ereader apprentice guru
moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moyogi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony PRS-T1, Sony 300 (so far)
I love anything by Carl Hiassen - his south Florida novels are great!
moyogi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:16 PM   #15
Billjr13
Addict
Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billjr13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 700 & 650
Boomerang by Mobileread's very own Alan Hutcheson, fun and looking forward to the next book in the series
Billjr13 is offline   Reply With Quote