Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-15-2011, 12:30 AM   #1
mudsharkbytes
mudsharkbytes began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Question Content server stopped working on Stanza on my iPhone

I really enjoy using Stanza with Calibre and because the content server works so seamlessly with Stanza I have all but stopped using the iBooks program.

Well, tonight I wanted to get another book from my library and found for some mysterious reason Stanza can no longer find the content server on my computer.

It has been working fine up to today. I have changed nothing on my computer.

I'm using the latest version of Stanza on my new Verizon iPhone. My computer is a MacBook running system 10.5.8.

To trouble shoot, made sure I had the latest version of Calibre - I didn't but updating made no difference. I also tested the server with Calibre - the web page came up fine.

On my iPhone, I tried a couple of other apps that connect and display or download content from my MacBook - VLC Streamer and Briefcase - both worked fine.

I re-booted the iPhone - no change.

My son has the latest iPod and Stanza. He couldn't connect to the content server either.

I'm pretty stumped. I've installed nothing new - pretty much changed nothing.

Help would be appreciated!
mudsharkbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
didn't change any settings on your network or firewall settings on you Mac?
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:37 AM   #3
mudsharkbytes

Nope - I've changed nothing. Totally don't understand why it stopped.

I've checked the network settings - they are fine. If they were changed or a firewall somehow was turned on, VLC Streamer and Briefcase wouldn't work either, but they work fine.

Additionally, I just tried logging into my computer with a new account and re-starting Calibre. Still doesn't work.

Last edited by mudsharkbytes; 04-15-2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:55 AM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Have you checked whether or not you can connect to the content server from another computer on the same network? What address are you using to connect to the server in Stanza?
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 08:44 AM   #5
mudsharkbytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Have you checked whether or not you can connect to the content server from another computer on the same network? What address are you using to connect to the server in Stanza?
If by that you mean typing in the http address I get when I test the server on my machine, yes, I have tried that on a different computer and it won't connect - it only connects on my laptop - the one running the server, which is not of much use.

I've never had to enter an address into Stanza, it always just found my computer, so I don't know what that address would be. I just tried manually adding calibre with the address i used on our other computer, and, no, it didn't work either. It just says "Searching *", but it never finds.

Like I said, my other apps are connecting to my computer just like before. I don't get it.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudsharkbytes View Post
If by that you mean typing in the http address I get when I test the server on my machine, yes, I have tried that on a different computer and it won't connect - it only connects on my laptop - the one running the server, which is not of much use.
The address the server tester uses is the loopback address for the local host- it always connects to the computer it's called from. You'd need to figure out the IP address of the computer running the server on your network and input that.

Quote:
Like I said, my other apps are connecting to my computer just like before. I don't get it.
The other apps connect to the Calibre content server just like before? In that case, ignore the above suggestion.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:44 AM   #7
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
This just happened to me this morning! Could not make a connection to the Calibre server.

To get it to connect again I simply:
I turned my iPad Off (not just put to sleep, but OFF) then rebooted my iMac and fired up Calibre making sure the content server was on.

I then turned on my iPad, went to "Settings" and "General" and made sure of a network connection. (my network was showing and connected)

I then went to Stanza and magically it would connect again.

By the way.. If you happen to try to connect via Stanza on your device and Calibre is not running, I don't think it will ever connect even once you start the Calibre server (I've done this too.)

Once Calibre on the device tries but doesn't connect seems that "both devices off and on" may be needed.

At least, this is my personal experience. Your's may vary!

Last edited by 1611mac; 04-15-2011 at 09:46 AM.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:50 AM   #8
mudsharkbytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
The address the server tester uses is the loopback address for the local host- it always connects to the computer it's called from. You'd need to figure out the IP address of the computer running the server on your network and input that.

The other apps connect to the Calibre content server just like before? In that case, ignore the above suggestion.
The other apps connect to my computer, but not to calibre. VLC streamer will stream movies from my computer to my iphone and Briefcase allows me to download any file off of my computer to my iphone

However, I was able to get my iphone to connect by entering the correct IP address and the port number manually into Stanza. Instead of opening within the program, it opens a really difficult to read 'Safari' page and, after a bit of squinting and reverse pinching on my iPhone I was able to download the book I was wanting.

Though it's now working, it's inelegant and nowhere near as nice as it was when my library came up under the "Computers Sharing Books" menu - that was simple to navigate and I would still like to find out why it stopped working and restore that method!

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:58 AM   #9
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you know the IP address and the correct URL for the Calibre OPDS library, then you can set this up as a Catalog within Stanza. It sounds as if you are connecting to the HTML version of the catalog rather than the OPDS (xml) version?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:02 AM   #10
mudsharkbytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
If you know the IP address and the correct URL for the Calibre OPDS library, then you can set this up as a Catalog within Stanza. It sounds as if you are connecting to the HTML version of the catalog rather than the OPDS (xml) version?
Tried that - it gave me an empty library and said it couldn't connect.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:05 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://calibre-ebook.com/user_manual...l#using-stanza
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #12
mudsharkbytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Yes, I have done that and I can get Calibre to come up in http format under "Book Sources" now - inelegantly - but it still will no longer come up under "Computers Sharing Books" - It continues to say "Searching…" when it used to connect immediately.

It doesn't want to connect directly to the Calibre catalogue - If I try entering the network address under 'OPCS Catalog' - it cannot connect, tells me it cannot connect to that address, and gives me an empty catalogue.

This problem happened before I updated to the latest version of Calibre and has continued after I updated.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you tried rebooting your iDevice?
Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #14
mudsharkbytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Have you tried rebooting your iDevice?
Oh yes, I've rebooted everything. Additionally, my son also has Stanza on his new iPod and its not connecting anymore either.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:24 PM   #15
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Then you likely have something blocking Bonjour requests on the network. Unfortunately, I'm currently out of action because of a troublesome eye, so I can't help you further. This part of the calibre code hasn't changed ina log time, so either something has changed in Stanza or on your network.

Tags
content, iphone, server, stanza