Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-06-2013, 06:09 AM   #1
schlecky
schlecky began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
Patching nickel to leave the wifi active

Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that I managed to patch the nickel application on my Kobo Touch to remove the automatic wifi disconnect, I think it might interest some people here. The function to patch is :
Code:
WirelessWatchdog::attemptToKill(void)
More detailled informations are on my website : http://renaud.schleck.free.fr/kobo.php#wifi
schlecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:10 AM   #2
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Is there not the option to turn off the airplane mode on the touch?
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-07-2013, 05:59 AM   #3
schlecky
schlecky began at the beginning.

Device: kobo touch
This is not related to airplane mode, on the Touch you can manually connect to a wifi network, and then access the reader through telnet, ssh... But in order to save power, the wifi is automaticaly disconnected after a few minutes. There is no option to disable this timeout.
schlecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #4
norbusan
Zealot
norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.norbusan can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, Kobo GloHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by schlecky View Post
Hi,
I just wanted to let you know that I managed to patch the nickel application on my Kobo Touch to remove the automatic wifi disconnect, I think it might interest some people here. The function to patch is :
Code:
WirelessWatchdog::attemptToKill(void)
More detailled informations are on my website : http://renaud.schleck.free.fr/kobo.php#wifi
Hi
thanks for the link and the information. I am trying to do the same with Kobo Glo and firmware 2.8.1, but the binary string you mentioned in the blog post cannot be found.

How did you disassemble the code and found the respective call?

Thanks

Norbert
norbusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #5
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur
Bob Brunius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW & Kobo H2O
wifi connection timeout.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schlecky View Post
This is not related to airplane mode, on the Touch you can manually connect to a wifi network, and then access the reader through telnet, ssh... But in order to save power, the wifi is automatically disconnected after a few minutes. There is no option to disable this timeout.
On my H2O if I'm running linux `top` in a telnet session the wifi never times out. The `top` refreshes frequently enough to keep the wifi open. Then I'll open another telnet session and that session stays open now even pauses in keyboard activity. Also, my ftp session also stays active. Makes life easier.
Bob Brunius is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert