Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #1
Saga Felix
Saga Felix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-T1
Browser blank after trying Gmail

Hello all,

I bought a Sony prs-T1 some days ago, and eagerly tried it out - it's my first reader ever.

When I tried the browser, I connected to google and wikipedia, and then wanted to try to connect to my Gmail. I got directed to the Gmail log in screen of course, entered my info and clicked enter...

-And then my browser was stuck on "Loading Gmail". Nothing I did could get it away from that. I clicked "Stop", I wrote other web-addresses and tried to load those, I shut down the Wi-Fi and re-connected, nothing worked.
Whenever I opened the browser, it was back on the white screen with the "Loading Gmail" bar in the middle. (-And no, it wasn't actually loading - I left it at it for 15 mins first time just to make sure. It was just stuck.)

Then I clicked around in the menu and managed to close the window that was loading Gmail. Well hooray, then it was just stuck on a blank screen. No improvement there.

-But today, when looking up an English word in a book, I clicked the "wikipedia" button just to see if THAT approach would work. And it did! I happily "surfed the net" on my reader.... and then tried accessing Gmail again... *facepalms*

So, back to the same ol' problem - screen is blank no matter what I do, the web browser is simply completely unusable. -And no, a 2nd try on accessing it via highlight of a word in a book was unsuccessful too.

Any advice? Anyone who tried the same? I obviously looked in the manual + tips & tricks etc., but found nothing - so any help would be appreciated.
Saga Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
rigong
rigong began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Same to me. From PC i set the basic HTML view (I don't know exactely how is named in english) for GMail and then from the e-Reader browser it works.
Probably the problem is caused from the new release of GMail full of Java script.

Alternatively, I rooted my PRS-T1 and I installed the GMail app (as on Android phone) that works very well.
rigong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 01:28 PM   #3
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
The fault is more with Gmail than it is the T1's browser. Try this:
1. Bring up the browser, press the Options button, click "More", "Windows", then close all open windows.
2. Try the "old" version of Gmail mobile:
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/x/pmlttwcnxrkk/r/.

I recommend bookmarking that in your T1's browser.

If you find there's something you can't do in the mobile version, there's a link at the bottom to access the Desktop version of Gmail... though it's not the easiest thing to work with on a 7" screen.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #4
rigong
rigong began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-T1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
1. Bring up the browser, press the Options button, click "More", "Windows", then close all open windows.

If you find there's something you can't do in the mobile version, there's a link at the bottom to access the Desktop version of Gmail... though it's not the easiest thing to work with on a 7" screen.
Very nice !!! It works perfectly !!!
rigong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Saga Felix
Saga Felix began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post

Thanks so much, Andrew! This helped, I can now use my T1's browser <3 I bookmarked this for future use.

-Saga
Saga Felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #6
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
I'm glad it's working for both of you!
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
Stupid question here - I've book marked a couple of sites in my browser but I can't find the bookmarks now! Any advice?
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
frozennorth
Evangelist
frozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic somethingfrozennorth has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Onyx Boox RIP, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegster View Post
Stupid question here - I've book marked a couple of sites in my browser but I can't find the bookmarks now! Any advice?
Touch the heart symbol.
frozennorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:00 AM   #9
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
tap browser page-top right hand side near the battery icon - heart icon
bla is offline   Reply With Quote