Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 AM   #1
Carpman
Connoisseur
Carpman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Folder question

I have been getting to know my Arc over the past few days along with using Android File Transfer, so that I can try and understand the device a little better!

I have been looking at the folder structures on my Arc and decided to compare them with the same structures on my wife's Arc.

My wife's Arc in the Kobo folder has sub folders:
epubs
images
updates

These do not show in the Kobo file structure on my own Arc.

Not sure why these would be different, apart from when I went to Google Play it offered a Kobo update for my Arc, which I took, yet my wife's Arc was not offered this update. Both devices where purchased within a week of each other so I assume they are from the same production batch?

Are my missing folders important, if they are how do I mount them on my Arc.

I have had a brief trawl around the web but cannot see an answer. I have tried creating a new folder, however AFT will not let me rename it nor will it allow me to drag/drop it into the Kobo folder.

So I am here for some expert advice, or do I leave well alone?

If someone has an answer, please make it really simple as I know nothing much about Android, this being my first venture into it.

Thanks
Carpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:02 AM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
If you need the directories, the apps involved will create them.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
Carpman
Connoisseur

Hi JD

Thanks for your reply, however I still remain "confused" both my wife and I have download books from the Kobo store, she has the folders, from memory some of them are populated, I do not have the sub folders?

In my "simple mind" I would expect both Arc's to have similar folder structures, the books purchased were fiction so they are basically only text.

The question still remains, why the missing folders

Regards
Old 12-19-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
These folders are used by the kobo app to store books in

ePubs stores the kobo books
Images guessing, but think this might be the cover art
updates, looks like it used when kobo app gets an update

I have not used the arc, but have used the Vox before and the only thing I find odd is the update you got from Google Play, was this for the Kobo app?

Kobo on Play is generic Android App
Vox/Arc have a different version not available on the store, gets updated direct from kobo

Can you check the version number on both devices (settings then applications and click on kobo)
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
Carpman
Connoisseur

Post Folder Question..........

Hi Paul

My wife's Kobo software is version: 4.4.6178

Mine is: 4.5.8024 I agree with you on what each folder is for, my books are stored in the Kobo folder only, they do have pictorial covers so I'm not sure how "my" Arc is storing that info.

When I was browsing Google Play I was offered a number of software updates one of which had the KOBO logo, to keep my Arc current I accepted and downloaded the data files offered. Perhaps that was an error, one not to be repeated!!

So far my wife's Arc has not been offered this software update, which does seem suspicious in hindsight.

I understand what your saying however I would have thought that a "generic" update would at least follow the pattern of folders offered by the vendor?

Despite this my Arc seems to be working perfectly with the books that I have downloaded and I am happily reading each day. Just perplexed about the difference in the folder setup. Perhaps I am being to picky!!

Peter
Advert
Old 12-19-2012, 10:20 AM   #6
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

the version on yours looks like the standard android app (same version as mine on my Nexus 7), which for me is storing the info in the folders

If it was me, I would uninstall the update on your Arc, which should revert to previous version (if you select uninstall it will say do you want to revert to factory version, which should be the same as your wifes), it might cause issues later if kobo update it as it shows as a higher version number
**I have only used the Vox and this is how it works, I am not 100% sure the Arc works the same

If they are both then on the same version, try downloading the same book to each and see what it does

On a side note, not sure if it's relevant, what format are the books in on both devices (when looking with a file manager), mine now seem to be as html files (4.5.8024 software), previously they where all epub, just wondering if kobo have chnged how they are stored recently

saying all this though, if your books are working fine, probably no need to worry about it (but try and get back to the kobo version of app instead of generic android, unless you prefer it)
Old 12-19-2012, 11:20 AM   #7
Carpman
Connoisseur

Thumbs down Folder Question..........

Hi Paul

I have completed the uninstall as suggested. My Arc is now in accounts and sync mode with Kobo, after it dowloaded the Kobo software.

I'm not sure how long this sync will take(?) so I am now plugged into a wall socket....................

The sync is complete but if I go to my library and try to open the book I am reading it comes up with a message "unfortunately Kobo has stopped" yet the little arrows at the bottem left of the screen have gone and sync is complete!

Not sure how to proceed now as I am unble to read my books at the moment?

Peter
Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #8
paulsalter
Fanatic

Can you check to see if you have the same version now as your wife?

If that is ok, while on that app screen click on the clear cache (this wont delete anything as cache will just get recreated), something might have been updated with the later version

Now try opening your book again and see if it works

If you still have problems, you can click the clear data option from the kobo app, but this will delete all your books from the arc and it will have to download them again
Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
Carpman
Connoisseur

Folder Question..........

Hi Paul

Back again, I still have the "unfortunately Kobo has stopped" when trying to open my library, thereby stopping me reading. I had a brainstorm and found the Kobo software update that was given when I first turned the Arc on in my downloads folder I have downloaded this again.

However I still cannot read "Kobo has stopped" is killing me?

Peter
Old 12-19-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
paulsalter
Fanatic

Have you tried deleting the Cache and/or the Data for the app?

Before doing that though, try hitting the stop button on the app page, if available, it will stop the app running then try again
Old 12-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #11
Carpman
Connoisseur

Hi Paul

I have a version from Kobo 4.4.6059 (wife's 4.4.6178).

I have cleared the cache, not the data yet.

Kobo in settings is not showing as running? Not sure why?

Peter
Old 12-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
Carpman
Connoisseur

Hi Paul

the redownloading of the original update I got from Kobo when I first switched the Arc on is complete.

The Kobo app is still not shown as running, how do you turn it on, as I cannot see a "go" button.

Peter
Old 12-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #13
Carpman
Connoisseur

Hi Paul

I tried to find the "go" button, but in the end failed badly, where it might be I cannot guess.

I have after some deliberation redownloaded the app from the Google app store and my Kobo app is now running and I can read books.

The folder problem remains, BUT, I am not going to screw around with it any longer, the reading is the important bit for me and I'm reading again.

Thanks for your guidance, if you know how to restart an app that has "stopped" can you let me know, but for the life of me I could not find anything to restart the Kobo app.

Ciao and have a Happy Christmas and New Year.

Peter
Old 12-19-2012, 01:06 PM   #14
paulsalter
Fanatic

Sorry we coudn't get the original one working again

I agree it's probably best to leave as is, be good if someone else who has a Arc can confirm the version number as it seems odd that only the generic one for android works

If you get a spare few minutes it might be worth just sending a mail to kobo support asking them about it, just see what they come back with

if you have stopped an app and want to get it going, just run the app again, nothing in settings for this

Have a great christmas and new year also, and enjoy your reading
Old 12-19-2012, 01:35 PM   #15
Carpman
Connoisseur

Hi Paul

The email has already gone to Kobo, as you know they are some hours behind us, a reply will no doubt pitch up at some point overnight.

However I don't feel that this a help desk question, it will need to go up the chain to a systems honcho. Having done mainframe help desk and system tesing in a former life I am feeling inadequate with Android at the mo.

Probably should not have tried to hit the ground running, the old maxim of "slowly, slowly, catchee monkey" springs to mind.

My best and thanks again............

Peter