Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #1
MacEvansCB
Enthusiast
MacEvansCB began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Incomplete conversion

I am trying to convert a file from PDF to RTF.
And everytime, conversion stops at the same place approx 75% thru the file.
And this only happens when converting to RTF.
If I convert the PDF to EPUB or TXT the conversion completes properly.
Further if I take the new EPUB file and convert it to RTF, it stops early again at the same place.

Has anyone else run into this??
How would I troubleshoot this??
MacEvansCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacEvansCB View Post
I am trying to convert a file from PDF to RTF.
And everytime, conversion stops at the same place approx 75% thru the file.
And this only happens when converting to RTF.
If I convert the PDF to EPUB or TXT the conversion completes properly.
Further if I take the new EPUB file and convert it to RTF, it stops early again at the same place.
Have yo figured out where that place IS in the document? 75% into the process does not translate into 75% into the document.

Quote:
Has anyone else run into this??
In General: Yes
Really Odd code, Huge paragraphs that fail to find a break, damaged source.

Quote:
How would I troubleshoot this??
Debug Log (see the Lady Bug at the Left Bottom of the Convert screen)

When asked. Post the log section (INSIDE SPOILER tags please)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
MacEvansCB
Enthusiast

I know exactly where it stops ... editing the broken RTF file shows me that.
Looking at that spot in regex shows a normal <br> at that spot with just text around it ... nothing special I can see.

OK ... I just did two conversions of the PDF file ... one to EPUB (good) and one to PDF (bad) and saved a debug folder for each.

I'm lost here ... I see the tag for Spoiler, but what do I wrap it around?
Both Debug folders have four folders inside them, each with a bunch of files?
Do you want all the files, each wrapped in a spoiler???
Old 06-21-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I know exactly where it stops ... editing the broken RTF file shows me that.
Looking at that spot in regex shows a normal <br> at that spot with just text around it ... nothing special I can see.

OK ... I just did two conversions of the PDF file ... one to EPUB (good) and one to PDF (bad) and saved a debug folder for each.

I'm lost here ... I see the tag for Spoiler, but what do I wrap it around?
Both Debug folders have four folders inside them, each with a bunch of files?
Do you want all the files, each wrapped in a spoiler???
Click the Spoiler Button.
Then paste the mess(age) between the tags
Spoiler:
Text paste inside
Old 06-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #5
MacEvansCB
Enthusiast

Solution Found

Well now I'm really confused.
There is no message to send.
Note that when I get the incomplete RTF file, there are no errors or messages. Caibre does the conversion and ends normally.

As I said, I did two conversions, EPUB and RTF. The resulting debug folders are identical. Each folder has a number of index.html files, each containing a complete copy of the eBook that opens perfectly in Firefox.

I started getting suspicious. I changed the extension of the RTF file to TXT and opened it as a plain text file. The whole novel was there along with all the RTF tags. I turned on invisible characters and looked at the place where the RTF was ending. Nothing. Just normal paragraph break tags.

This blows me away. It appears that Calibre does a complete conversion. Yet there's something weird with the resulting RTF file.I've opened the RTF file in three different apps: MS Word, Apple Pages and Apple TextEdit. And all three apps truncate the file at the exact same place ... no errors ... no messages ... nothing. I have not run into anything like this in over a couple of hundred file conversions.

So ... anyway ... since the debug html index files contain a complete copy of the formatted text, I was able to just cut and paste from Firefox to Apple Pages and I now have a complete editable file: problem solved.
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Well now I'm really confused.
There is no message to send.
Note that when I get the incomplete RTF file, there are no errors or messages. Caibre does the conversion and ends normally.

As I said, I did two conversions, EPUB and RTF. The resulting debug folders are identical. Each folder has a number of index.html files, each containing a complete copy of the eBook that opens perfectly in Firefox.

I started getting suspicious. I changed the extension of the RTF file to TXT and opened it as a plain text file. The whole novel was there along with all the RTF tags. I turned on invisible characters and looked at the place where the RTF was ending. Nothing. Just normal paragraph break tags.

This blows me away. It appears that Calibre does a complete conversion. Yet there's something weird with the resulting RTF file.I've opened the RTF file in three different apps: MS Word, Apple Pages and Apple TextEdit. And all three apps truncate the file at the exact same place ... no errors ... no messages ... nothing. I have not run into anything like this in over a couple of hundred file conversions.

So ... anyway ... since the debug html index files contain a complete copy of the formatted text, I was able to just cut and paste from Firefox to Apple Pages and I now have a complete editable file: problem solved.
Well! That was not the 'easy way', but it works.

If you have a file 'Hex editor', you might look at it that way to see if a "EOF" control character crept in at that point.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #7
jvarner
jvarner began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well you might want to check they system requirements and things that come along with the PDF converter that your using. It might be possible that something in your system prevents the operation from finishing or the software your using is not able to actually do this conversion fully. Also try making sure everything is up to date and you might want to re download your converter also.

http://yourpdfconverter.com
jvarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:17 PM   #8
MacEvansCB
Enthusiast

Stuck right now ....

jvarner ... I'm currently using a 7yr PowerMac system. So I'm stuck at Calibre v0.7.28.
But I am migrating real soon to a souped-up Intel Mac Mini so I'll be able to use current v0.8.6.
But I've been using Calibre for almost two years and this is the first major problem I've ran into, although the work around seem pretty simple in hindsight.