Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #15976
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
That was an excellent novel. I've read a lot of books and only a few had memorable characters like this one.
Is there anyone that hasn't liked this book this year?
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:35 AM   #15977
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesMacs View Post
I've just begun Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis. My only previous experience with C.S. Lewis is The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe so I'm not sure what to expect.
I've got this on my reading list this year as well. Let us know how you go.
Advert
Old 03-19-2013, 02:44 AM   #15978
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
This year?
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:14 AM   #15979
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
This year?
There's a rash of people in this forum that have read or are intending to read this book in 2013. It may have been triggered by one of our members who made a blanket recommendation that everyone should read Cannery Row this year.

It was such a bold recommendation that I believe it may have had a impact on a number of people. I don't mind saying I was one of them and I have it on my 2013 TBR list.

Of course, I'm sure there's no shortage of people enjoying this book in other years as well.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #15980
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There's a rash of people in this forum that have read or are intending to read this book in 2013. It may have been triggered by one of our members who made a blanket recommendation that everyone should read Cannery Row this year.

It was such a bold recommendation that I believe it may have had a impact on a number of people. I don't mind saying I was one of them and I have it on my 2013 TBR list.

Of course, I'm sure there's no shortage of people enjoying this book in other years as well.
Ah, I had no idea whatsoever.
Advert
Old 03-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #15981
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
This weekend I finished Dickens' Great Expectation, although a slow read, as Dickens always is for me, very enjoyable. I think one of my English teacher read a simplified version of this book to us one year because it was all very familiar.

I've also read the second and third episode of Sean Platt and David Wright's Yesterday's Gone serial. I've read the first one early January and thought it was okay. I had planned on reading just one more episode, to see if I would continue with the serial or not, and wasn't able to put my Kindle down after the second episode (which answers my question). I'm going to try to pace myself, though I expect that will be very hard . This series now has three "seasons" of each six episodes. The fourth one will start in August. Luckily they have several other serials on the go to keep me entertained, although when I'm up to date which each of them the question will be if I buy each episode or wait for the full season, which is cheaper, to be released .
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:02 AM   #15982
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
And if you see the monster, then what? Since the movie 'Psycho,' many people check inside the shower stall before getting in, or look under the bed before turning out the lights. But how many actually bring a gun into the bathroom, or keep a wooden stake and mallet on the bedside table?

Personally, I rely upon my 'protection mantra,' which I recite when ever the need arises; "When in worry, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout! When in worry, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!"

It works.

(Joking aside, this actually does work. It's so completely ludicrous, that when chanted in circumstances of extreme danger, the absurdity of it calms a person right down, letting them deal a bit more rationally with the situation. )

Stitchawl
No monsters. She states that she's seen spirits (ghosts?) of dead people. They don't do any harm to us, unlike what the horror movies have got us to believe. And she makes good use of her ability to help veteran's families find their graves, which were long lost in time of war. Kind of like looking for POW/MIA of the US. And it works.

She actually is working for a body of the State, so it's not superstition. After reading the book, I believe she's not trying to sell anything here.

Quote:
No, there isn't. Soon you'll be the only one left, Caleb. Hurry up, read it.

(I'd like to know who'd be the first, and their reasons also.)
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 06:05 AM   #15983
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
No monsters. She states that she's seen spirits (ghosts?) of dead people. They don't do any harm to us, unlike what the horror movies have got us to believe. And she makes good use of her ability to help veteran's families find their graves, which were long lost in time of war. Kind of like looking for POW/MIA of the US. And it works.

She actually is working for a body of the State, so it's not superstition. After reading the book, I believe she's not trying to sell anything here.
You probably should turn your scepticism up a notch.

Still on the R A MacAvoy book. It's interesting, but I do wonder where it's leading.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:02 AM   #15984
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Now my next read will either be The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller or The Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis. I can't make up my mind!
I named one of my horses after the ship in the series, and my German Shepard was named after the lion king in it.

Quote:
Quote:
There's a rash of people in this forum that have read or are intending to read this book in 2013.
It's on my TBR short list too!

Quote:
Yes... it does work. It works very well. The ability to use more of our minds, and use them in more effective ways, is NOT some special 'power.' It's an ability we are ALL born with. But as we became more 'civilized,' the 'need' to use it decreased, and so we stopped paying attention to it. Then as the 'Age of Science' developed, since scientists insist that anything that can not be proven in a laboratory does NOT exist, we began to program our children into thinking that it in fact doesn't exist. However, those of us who use this ability KNOW that it exists. There is no question of that. We use it. If it didn't exist, we simply couldn't do so. And please note that I use the word 'ability,' rather than the word 'power.' It's not a power. It's not even a skill. It's a natural, innate ability we all have, and the more you use it, the more effectively you are ABLE to use it. Unfortunately, a lot of people are afraid of things that can't be proven in a laboratory, and so insist that they either don't exist, or worse... are 'evil.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You probably should turn your scepticism up a notch.
Why not try turning it down and seeing what happens? It doesn't cost anything to have an open mind. Don't even think outside the box. Think without a box.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #15985
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Why not try turning it down and seeing what happens? It doesn't cost anything to have an open mind. Don't even think outside the box. Think without a box.
It's fine to have an open mind - just don't let it be so open that your brain falls out .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:20 AM   #15986
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
This weekend I finished Dickens' Great Expectation, although a slow read, as Dickens always is for me, very enjoyable. I think one of my English teacher read a simplified version of this book to us one year because it was all very familiar.

I've also read the second and third episode of Sean Platt and David Wright's Yesterday's Gone serial. I've read the first one early January and thought it was okay. I had planned on reading just one more episode, to see if I would continue with the serial or not, and wasn't able to put my Kindle down after the second episode (which answers my question). I'm going to try to pace myself, though I expect that will be very hard . This series now has three "seasons" of each six episodes. The fourth one will start in August. Luckily they have several other serials on the go to keep me entertained, although when I'm up to date which each of them the question will be if I buy each episode or wait for the full season, which is cheaper, to be released .
Wow! Dickens to Platt/Wright in one post. Impressive!

I actually read the first one recently. I think I had a similar reaction to you. It was OK and I wasn't sure I'd continue. But given your reaction to the second, I'll give it a go.

If you're really patient, you can get the first 18 episodes for free. I have all 3 seasons and I haven't paid for a single episode. I just look out for them when they're free at Amazon.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:26 AM   #15987
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
No, there isn't. Soon you'll be the only one left, Caleb. Hurry up, read it.

(I'd like to know who'd be the first, and their reasons also.)
I know. I have so many reading commitments that get in the way of things. It's definitely on my list and I'm really excited to be reading another Steinbeck. I've only ever read Of Mice and Men in high school and I loved it.

One day - Grapes of Wrath. Oh yeah!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:08 AM   #15988
Gazella
Wizard

Oooh. I didn't know there was a sequel to Cannery Row. I literally just found out!
Old 03-19-2013, 08:27 AM   #15989
caleb72
Indie Advocate

Quote:
Oooh. I didn't know there was a sequel to Cannery Row. I literally just found out!
Seems like the best time to find that out.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #15990
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
The Other Boleyn Girl, by Philippa Gregory...this is my second time reading it. I love all her books based on the Tudor court.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote