Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-27-2015, 12:56 PM   #22156
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm currently reading Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life by Anne Lamott. So far it's fun, informative, and inspiring. Not a bad mix.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #22157
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up is still open. I'd like to re-read Shogun, but it is so long I'm not sure I want to start it while I'm working so many hours. No, I think instead, the next Amelia Peabody -- Deeds of the Disturber by Elizabeth Peters. That'll be fun, and an easy read.
Well, the good intentions of reading another Amelia Peabody book didn't survive the first chapter. I got distracted by a Mercedes Lackey book, Magic's Pawn. This is the first of the Last Herald Mage series, and I thought I'd read the series years ago, but if so, I remember it not. Originally published in 1989, it was way ahead of it's time for "mainstream" SFF with characters who are openly gay. The final book in the series won a Lambda Literary Prize in 1990. I'm quite enjoying it, actually, and will likely read the other two Vanyel books after I finish this.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:25 PM   #22158
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Just finished Dragon's Blood by Jane Yolen. An old book, and a favorite. My kids liked it, too.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:10 AM   #22159
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I just found out that one of my favorite comedic fantasy authors has been writing under a pseudonym for several years. Specifically, "K.J. Parker" is Tom Holt. Thus, not only are there over a dozen new books for me to check out, but most of them are available through the Viggle rewards program (by virtue of being published by Orbit) and one of them is on sale at the moment. Aside from one or two exceptions, I can get all of the KJP books through that vector, and my "first taste" cost me less than a day's worth of clicking.

I'm normally not much for classic fantasy, but I'll give it a shot under these conditions...
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 07:17 AM   #22160
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
I just found out that one of my favorite comedic fantasy authors has been writing under a pseudonym for several years. Specifically, "K.J. Parker" is Tom Holt. Thus, not only are there over a dozen new books for me to check out, but most of them are available through the Viggle rewards program (by virtue of being published by Orbit) and one of them is on sale at the moment. Aside from one or two exceptions, I can get all of the KJP books through that vector, and my "first taste" cost me less than a day's worth of clicking.

I'm normally not much for classic fantasy, but I'll give it a shot under these conditions...
That's really interesting to hear. I'm a fan of Tom Holt (and have been for almost 30 years, ever since Expecting Someone Taller was published) and I had no idea he wrote under a pseudonym. Please let us know what you think of the K.J Parker books - I'm off to have a look now.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:16 AM   #22161
AstoundingBruce
Enthusiast
AstoundingBruce is on a distinguished road

Device: NextBook
The Last by Joel Puga

While Joel Puga's "The Last" is intriguing, it is not really a story. It is descriptive exposition. As soon as conflict seems inevitable, it simply ends. One can only hope Puga has a novel in mind.

I received a free copy of this story in exchange for an honest review.
AstoundingBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #22162
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
And now I'm reading Coming Out Atheist by Greta Christina. So far it seems a bit US-centric, but I suppose that's inevitable, despite best efforts to include international mentions.
And overall, it was an interesting read, although containing little that applies personally.

Next up: Catastrophes, Chaos and Convolutions by James P Hogan. A mixture of some shorter works, anecdotes, and posts from his web pages.

Quite fun stories so far, although his slightly stranger opinions (e.g. solar system re-arrangements happening within the past 10,000 years, and his complete misunderstanding of evolution) come through in the anecdotes and blog posts.

Last edited by pdurrant; 04-28-2015 at 03:23 PM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:54 PM   #22163
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Just finished "The Last Camel Died at Noon" by Elizabeth Peters; the 6th book in the "Amelia Peabody" series. As Peters says in the introduction, this book is an unabashed homage to the "Lost Civilisation" fantasies of Sir Henry Rider Haggard, one of Peters' (and my!) favourite authors.

A mysterious message suggests that an explorer who vanished 14 years previously in Sudan and was assumed dead, may still be alive. Emerson and Amelia, accompanied by their 10-year-old son Ramses, set off into the unexplored desert on his trail.

Completely improbable and enormous fun. One of my favourite books in this excellent series.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-28-2015 at 12:56 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:46 PM   #22164
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, the good intentions of reading another Amelia Peabody book didn't survive the first chapter. I got distracted by a Mercedes Lackey book, Magic's Pawn. This is the first of the Last Herald Mage series, and I thought I'd read the series years ago, but if so, I remember it not. Originally published in 1989, it was way ahead of it's time for "mainstream" SFF with characters who are openly gay. The final book in the series won a Lambda Literary Prize in 1990. I'm quite enjoying it, actually, and will likely read the other two Vanyel books after I finish this.
Finished and I thought it was excellent--I'll be getting the next two in the series. This was a good reminder of why Ms. Lackey got such a reputation. Sometimes, of late, it's hard to remember.

Next up, the latest Bruno, Chief of Police--The Children Return, which I must have pre-ordered because it just showed up on my Kindles. Perfect timing, and definitely a book to look forward to.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:50 PM   #22165
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Currently reading Molly Fyde and the Blood of Billions by Hugh Howey. I'm loving this series! Easy to read space adventure.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:49 PM   #22166
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I finished reading Hidden, liked it a lot! Now on to Penumbra (Spook Squad #3) by Keri Arthur, a recent Amazon freebie.
I completed reading (and enjoying) Penumbra, which was the 3rd and last book in the series, Spook Squad. It was actually quite disappointing that this series seems to just stop here but is certainly not really finished, although it was published 10 years ago. I guess you could say that Keri Arthur just abandonded it!

Now on to a YA urban fantasy called, Another Me by Cathy MacPhail.
Quote:
It was as I was walking into the drama class that I remembered the girl I had bumped into and the green sweater just like mine. That was what had got Mrs Watt mixed up. She had seen the girl in the green sweater and thought it was me. That was the simple explanation. Wasn't it?
The author calls Another Me is a ghost story!! I'm going to find out!

Last edited by alansplace; 04-29-2015 at 06:54 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 02:37 AM   #22167
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next up: Catastrophes, Chaos and Convolutions by James P Hogan. A mixture of some shorter works, anecdotes, and posts from his web pages.

Quite fun stories so far, although his slightly stranger opinions (e.g. solar system re-arrangements happening within the past 10,000 years, and his complete misunderstanding of evolution) come through in the anecdotes and blog posts.
His stories which bypass his weird beliefs are fine. But I fine essays full of easily refuted pseudo-science impossible to read.

Next up: Lion in the Valley by Elizabeth Peters. Great fun.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:31 AM   #22168
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
I read about a third of The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die, book 2) yesterday before seeing Avengers: Age of Ultron. I may finish it over the weekend; considering that third was while I was eating dinner, it's a pretty zippy read.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 09:58 AM   #22169
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I finished off my month of no SF&F with Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong by David Walsh. I knew a lot of the details from the media coverage of Armstrong's downfall, but this is an entertainingly-written account of the author's long battle against Armstrong's cheating and the doping culture in cycling.

Before that I read Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. I liked it a lot, despite its deliberately confusing style - Cromwell is almost always referred to as "he", even if the book has just been talking about another male character - and I'm not quite sure how Mantel decided where to start and stop the story. It doesn't seem to tell any particular complete story. I know there's already one sequel, and another planned, but still, I thought there might be some logical start and end point that relate to each other. But then, that's lit-fic for you. Or maybe it's me. It's a really fascinating depiction of the time, all the same. I'm trying not to spoiler myself too much by remaining ignorant of the real history.

I also finished The Mammoth Book of Locked Room Mysteries and Impossible Crimes edited by Mike Ashley, which was generally good fun, but a bit of a mixed bag, as these things always are.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 01:14 PM   #22170
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Next up: Lion in the Valley by Elizabeth Peters. Great fun.
Indeed it was great fun. A very enjoyable book is an enjoyable series.

Then I read Borrower of the Night, also by Elizabeth Peters, but the first in her Vicky Bliss series. There is a definite resemblance, but I think on the whole I prefer her Amelia Peabody books so far.

And then my first purchase of May - Grantville Gazette #59. An average issue. Some delightful stories, some a little confusing, and some serials that I'll enjoy re-reading if/when they eventually get packaged into an ebook release.

And now for A Brother's Price by Wen Spencer. A re-read, just because I feel like it, even with 721 books in my TBR pile!