Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #1
dbvogt
dbvogt began at the beginning.

Device: color nook
Russian (Cyrillic) books on Nook

I'm trying to convert Word Docs in Russian to work on the nook. I save in the proper filtered HTM format and Calibre converts it to EPUB just fine. The problem is that the Nook doesn't recognize the text and replaces all letters with question marks. Russian books downloaded from B&N are fine. I've tried changing the character encoding to CP 1252, iso-859 and utf-8 and continue to get ??s all over. The UTF-8 version does not open at all. Any suggestions?
dbvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
dbvogt

Follow-up on my question. I tried one of the Web sites that converts docs to EPUBs and it worked on the document. Using Calibre to put it onto the Nook worked with the Cyrillic fonts showing correctly. So, there doesn't appear to be a requirement to hack the Nook or add different fonts. The drawback to the online conversion file is the addition of extra spaces between lines, mostly after just two lines.
Advert
Old 01-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #3
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
This may not be may help but may give you another source to ask questions. Check with the Mobileread OpeninkPot forum. They deal with Cyrillic font and it may be just finding the right character set. I believe I've read that there is another encoding set that they may use (i.e. not utf8) but don't remember exactly.

Since you have found some books that display Cyrillic correctly, I would hope this is the case but it may just be using images of the Cyrillic book.

Last edited by slayda; 01-28-2011 at 11:23 AM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
I also don't know the answer. You should ask on the Russian forum http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 08:29 AM   #5
dbvogt

Thanks for the suggestions and I'll look into the links. I found a workaround:
1) Load the cyrillic Doc into a newer version of Word (2010 is ok) and save as a Docx
2) Download Epubgen. Drag the Docx to the Epubgen window and it will convert to EPUB
3) Drag the EPUB to the desktop
4) Drag the desktop EPUB icon to Calibre (can't seem to do this in one step)
5) Send to the Nook. Works perfectly.
Advert
Old 03-31-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
Cimmerian
Cimmerian began at the beginning.

Device: Lenovo PocketPC Phone
You might be making a genral mistake with codepages. Cyrillic is none of what you typed in your first post, if not a typo.
Cyrillic is 1251 (weather win-1251 or cp1251), try that.
I'm not sure about Nook quite yet, but all of my Russian-language books for Kindle work just fine on all devices, including Kindle models, iPad, iPhone, windows desktop (via Mobipocket Reader), etc.
Those does not have to be hacked at all.
You can see the proof at www.MobiPocket.ru
I think I will add Nook e-books after investigating the matter.
Actually, there are some in the older posts on MobiPocket.ru. They are just called differently - palm format e-books. And yes, they are all Russian and all that.
I'm not sure I will ever support epib e-books, but native Kindle and Nook formats are OK.

Last edited by Cimmerian; 03-31-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Cimmerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbvogt View Post
I'm trying to convert Word Docs in Russian to work on the nook. I save in the proper filtered HTM format and Calibre converts it to EPUB just fine. The problem is that the Nook doesn't recognize the text and replaces all letters with question marks. Russian books downloaded from B&N are fine. I've tried changing the character encoding to CP 1252, iso-859 and utf-8 and continue to get ??s all over. The UTF-8 version does not open at all. Any suggestions?
The xhtml files in epubs should be UTF-8 encoded. If you are sure they are correctly UTF-8 encoded, you may also want to switching fonts, or embedding your own. IIRC only 4 of the 6 fonts currently include the Cyrllic glyphs on the NC/NT, and I forget what the situation is on the NST.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote