Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #1
kdoc
Enthusiast
kdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Touch Sensitivity: Kindle Fire

My touch sensitivity is very erratic: at times sensitive, just like an iPad, or iPhone (at times too sensitive), and at other time I have to hit harder and harder, and harder repeatedly to get something to work. Is this a problem with the design, with the software, with MY particular Fire, or what? Can it be repaired?

kdoc

Last edited by kdoc; 11-23-2011 at 11:13 AM.
kdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoc View Post
My touch sensitivity is very erratic: at times sensitive, just like an iPad, or iPhone (at times too sensitive), and at other time I have to hit harder and harder, and harder repeatedly to get something to work. Is this a problem with the design, with the software, with MY particular Fire, or what? Can it be repaired?

kdoc

I haven't had an issue. The touch screen is smooth as silk (pardon the pun). Did you update to the latest OS version? There were a lot of complaints about this in the shipping release and it appears Amazon has addressed this as well as some other minor issues.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #3
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Mine isn't what I'd call sensitive, it's what I'd call unresponsive. By that I mean when I push a button, I can see that the button "pushed" animation works, but the program doesn't respond to that action. I think it's glitchy software, not hardware. If that's any comfort
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

I think this is an Android thing as all three Android devices I've owned are/were like this.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
ectoplasm
Addict
ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ectoplasm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD and H2O
I'm wondering if it's a lack of a "busy" indicator. It seems I always have to hit the "back" button twice, and some things, like copying files with ES File Explorer, never shows a progress or busy indicator, even though I know it's busy copying.
ectoplasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #6
kdoc
Enthusiast

Update

OK, I'll try the update as suggested. How do you update the OS? OhI I found it under Device: System version is 6.1 user 2017120, and the update button is grayed out?

kdoc

Last edited by kdoc; 11-23-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:43 PM   #7
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
OK, I'll try the update as suggested. How do you update the OS? OhI I found it under Device: System version is 6.1 user 2017120, and the update button is grayed out?

kdoc
You have the latest update.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #8
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

kdoc

I think the best thing to do is touch something and wait. Sometimes the response in some Apps is not instant, although we would like it to be. Touching something 3-4 sometimes can lead to Force Close messages.

You need to check if there are too many open processes which can drain the Fire's memory. Especially if you "open" a lot of Apps. Once you back out of an App on the Fire the App no longer uses the CPU power, however, the App hibernates in memory so that when you do launch it again it resumes where it was when you exited.

Here's what I recommend. Go to the Amazon App Store and download a FREE App called Quick System Info Pro. After you install an open the App, open the Processes Tab. You will see all the Apps which are using up your Fire's memory. If you are not familiar with a process leave it alone. However, let's say you see one that you know. I'll use Dolphin Browser HD as an example. The Fire shows it is eating up a lot of memory. If you touch it and select End Task the process will close which will clear up memory. Don't select Force Stop because this is like ending a program that has frozen. End Task is a graceful shutdown, Force Close is as the name implies. Whenever I see Force Close or Force Stop I know this is usually a last resort option. Sometimes Android Apps will freeze like any other OS App or program and you will have to Force Close them.

Another benefit of Quick System Info Pro is it gives you a quick snapshot of your system resources in the Notifications Bar and it allows you to easily manage Apps.

There's also an App called Process manager which you can use to KILL App processes. It can be downloaded here:

http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...killer_v1.4.11

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-23-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:21 PM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I have no issues with mine except when Screen Filter is enabled. Depending on the setting it makes the screen less responsive. I have to disable it sometimes when I go to install something because the install button wont work otherwise. With it off though my screen responds to the lightest touch.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 02:10 PM   #10
kdoc
Enthusiast

Screen Filter

And where is Screen Filter?
As for Quick Syst4em pro: when I touch the App under QSP I get "Manage, Launch or Details. Does that mean it's off, for example? What in this App actually shows the running apps that need to be shut off?

kdoc

Last edited by kdoc; 11-23-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:25 PM   #11
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
And where is Screen Filter?
As for Quick Syst4em pro: when I touch the App under QSP I get "Manage, Launch or Details. Does that mean it's off, for example? What in this App actually shows the running apps that need to be shut off?

kdoc

I think Screen Filter is an App you have to download and install.

The Apps Tab is for managing Apps (e.g. Uninstalling, clearing cache, clearing defaults).

You are concerned with Processes. In Quick System Info Pro, you should see a tab that says Processes. Open the Processes Tab. When you see a process eating up memory (e.g. Dolphin Browser, Opera Mini Browser) you can touch the App process and End Task. Do not Force Stop. Again, only end those processes you know are safe to close. These will usually App which you have opened and remain in memory even after you "close" them by returning to the carousel. They don't use CPU power, but remain in memory so if you launch the App again it goes back to where it was when you exited. This is similar to the hibernate function in a computer.

Another thing that starts to slow down your tablet over time is that many Apps you install like to impose their will and "open" at tablet startup. These can eat up a lot of memory as well. I recommend everyone download an App called Startup Cleaner 2.0. It is a free App and you can use it to control the Apps you want to launch at startup and those you do not. Download it here:

http://androiddev.orkitra.com/downlo...tartup2_v2.1.0

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-23-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:44 PM   #12
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I have noticed it is overly sensitive. Many more typing mistakes than on my iPad.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
kdoc
Enthusiast

Processes

Just so I can be clear: under processes, the apps show the MB size: I assume this isn't what you're speaking of. Also shown is CPU usage %--is that the one you look at?

kdoc
Old 11-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #14
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Just so I can be clear: under processes, the apps show the MB size: I assume this isn't what you're speaking of. Also shown is CPU usage %--is that the one you look at?

kdoc

Yes, that's it. The CPU % should mostly be zero except fro the Android Operating System. Check and see if there are any processes using a large amount of memory. Touch any processes you know for sure that you started and select End Task. Again, do not end any process that don't look familiar. Also, you may want to download the Startup Cleaner 2.0 I pointed to earlier to prevent any unwanted User Apps from starting on power up which will free up memory and improve performance.
Old 11-24-2011, 01:32 AM   #15
kdoc
Enthusiast

Exclamation OK

OK, thanks!!

kdoc