Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 05-04-2009, 12:43 PM   #1
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Invisible text

I have an eBook that includes the physical page numbers from the paper book. I would like to leave these in the document for possible use in searching or referencing purposes but I don't want them to be displayed. Is there a way to do that? The book has a lot of cross references to physical pages.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
You can use style="visibility:hidden;", eg.:

Code:
<span style="visibility:hidden;">1</span>

Last edited by netseeker; 05-04-2009 at 12:57 PM.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
or "display: none"
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #4
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Could you use a class?

e.g.
Code:
<span class="invisible">..</span>
and in your CSS
Code:
.invisible { 
  display: none; 
}
Hard-coding styles into HTML or XHTML or XML is really ugly.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
or "display: none"
I already thought i missed one option.
Actually "display: none" seems to be the better choice, because it shouldn't occupy visible space - which does happen when using "visibility: hidden".
Advert
Old 05-04-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
Could you use a class?
[..]
Hard-coding styles into HTML or XHTML or XML is really ugly.
Sure, but imho it's better comprehensible with a inline style within a simple example.
Old 05-04-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Sure, but imho it's better comprehensible with a inline style within a simple example.
It is But I still wanted to add this as (so far) I've nearly always found inline examples on this board, and just once I wanted to say "use classes"
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
It is But I still wanted to add this as (so far) I've nearly always found inline examples on this board, and just once I wanted to say "use classes"
they're classier.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the response. I will give it a try. I know how to translate inline examples to CSS sections and files.

Dale
Old 05-04-2009, 02:44 PM   #10
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
When I retrieve a Project Gutenberg ebook in HTML form, I usually leave the page number (href) references in, but remove the actual PG #'s using a RegEx, like the below example written in Perl:
Code:
#Remove page numbering
$html =~ s#<span class='pagenum'><(.*[^>])>.*</span>#<$1>#gi ;
$html =~ s#<span class=\"pagenum\"><(.*[^>])>.*</span>#<$1>#gi ;
It just leaves the <a name/id> reference i.e. <$1>.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:11 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
When I retrieve a Project Gutenberg ebook in HTML form, I usually leave the page number (href) references in, but remove the actual PG #'s using a RegEx, like the below example written in Perl:
Code:
#Remove page numbering
$html =~ s#<span class='pagenum'><(.*[^>])>.*</span>#<$1>#gi ;
$html =~ s#<span class=\"pagenum\"><(.*[^>])>.*</span>#<$1>#gi ;
It just leaves the <a name/id> reference i.e. <$1>.

Yea, but I have hundreds of such references and no html links. For now I want to be able to have the real page numbers. The display:none trick worked well in my sample. I have to check a few different readers. It is reasonable to have the published page numbers for reference purposes.

Dale
Old 05-05-2009, 04:55 AM   #12
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
I already thought i missed one option.
Actually "display: none" seems to be the better choice, because it shouldn't occupy visible space - which does happen when using "visibility: hidden".
And that makes "visibility:hidden" what I was looking for for some other cases. Sometimes the detective finds a half-burnt note with some letters missing, and it's good to have something that hides the letters but preserves the space
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote