Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #196
emusan
lol
emusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheeseemusan can extract oil from cheese

Device: eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by paula-t View Post
I have been out of the forum for a few weeks, and I find this new breakthrough.

As I cannot read 194 posts now, I have to ask the following for the benefit of all those who have just jumped into this:

Could you please (any of you) create a new, separate post, summarizing the alleged advantages of the new firmware? Also, is it there a new firmware for EE?
The information I am please asking to get in a clear, summarized way is this:

- ADVANTAGES OR IMPROVEMENTS of the new firmware compared to 0.9 Ermine.

- Previous bugs which are now fixed with this version (contrasting with the bugs reported for Ermine when it came out).

- Side effects or trouble which have been reported by those who tested it.

In this way, we can go quickly to the point and make up our minds.

The work you have all done is remarkable.
Congratulations to all those involved!!
The improvements are that market, gmail, talk, and other google apps are now installed, unfortunately most still don't work. No previous bugs were fixed(unless you consider no market to be a bug), and no side effects or troubles have been reported to my knowledge. I don't think it needs another thread quite yet...
emusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:44 PM   #197
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Paula-t, as I see it there is nothing in the updated file that is of any use to anyone outside the US. Even if the market worked those of us not in the US can't use it. gmail is the only one that is universal at the moment.

There might be some hope that someone will solve some of the problems like the green still pictures from the camera on the EE but then I think the PE doesn't have that problem and since most of the people doing the work have PEs those of us with the EE can, maybe, pick up some crumbs later.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 04:58 PM   #198
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
agreed with ivan still waiting for somebody to produce something useful
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #199
Vit-orekhov
Enthusiast
Vit-orekhov began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Hi, everyone!
Recently I've bought my Entourage Pocket EDGE and updated it to Android 2.2. I really like hoe it works, but there are one tiny problem. I don't know, how to change font on the reader side.
The thing is. There are 3 alternatives. I don't know the original names, but in my device it looks like "reader font", "droid font", "reserve droid font".
How can I set these "droid font" or "reserve droid font"? Please, help me, I really want to read with my favorite OldStandart.ttf...
And, if you know, how...
Daoe anybody succede in trying to read books with both sides? I mean, the left one - is the first page, the right one - is the second, etc...? I think, it could be great
And the last question
Has anyone working skype on their devices? I downloaded it from here 4pda ru
So, thank you very much, my friends, Hopefully, somebody will help me
Vit-orekhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 07:45 PM   #200
paula-t
paula-t began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanjt View Post
Paula-t, as I see it there is nothing in the updated file that is of any use to anyone outside the US. Even if the market worked those of us not in the US can't use it. gmail is the only one that is universal at the moment.

There might be some hope that someone will solve some of the problems like the green still pictures from the camera on the EE but then I think the PE doesn't have that problem and since most of the people doing the work have PEs those of us with the EE can, maybe, pick up some crumbs later.
Thanks, Ivan. This is exactly what I needed to read!

In any case, I think when a post becomes too long and adds up contributions from many testers (which may potentially affect the initial claims in the first post),it is always useful to create a separate post or insert a first post with the summarized gist of the long exchange.

This is always necessary and useful, much in the same way that you write an abstract when you prepare a long, juicy article with a detailed development. In this way, people can get a snapshot of the important things and decide if they will go through all of it.

I am an editor, not a developer, so I have made this suggestion from the standpoint of the information process and the efficiency of communication.

Of course, I know that developers may enjoy immensely reading 194 posts with comments, pros, cons, backwards and forwards of a firmware development , but for those who can't grasp it all, a summarized synopsis with the marrow of it would be great (also, a time saver).

I would do this myself, were it not for the fact that I am very busy these days and I am not very involved with the thread process in terms of knowledge. But if anyone wants to make a short sticky with the conclusions, benefits, limitations and disclaimers, I am sure many will like it.

Regards, and thanks again for all the information, and sorry for asking and not offering this time!
paula-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #201
immjg
immjg began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by emusan View Post
Yes! That was it. I actually found that after I posted the message but was too tired to come back here to update my progress. Thanks. All is working again!
immjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:15 AM   #202
Vit-orekhov
Enthusiast
Vit-orekhov began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Has anybody read my questions?
Vit-orekhov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:48 AM   #203
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vit-orekhov View Post
Has anybody read my questions?
See my feeble attempts to answer them in the "Changing Fonts" thread.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #204
thinredline
Connoisseur
thinredline doesn't litterthinredline doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Pocket Edge, Nookd Simple Touch Glowlight, NGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by remedy View Post
I wish I could say I kept meticulous track of every step I made and knew exactly how I got this working. Sadly the reality is more one of semi-conscious experimentation in my spare hours over a very long (and hot) week at work.

I tried many many things but I believe these were the only steps which were influential.

- Used z4root from amazon appstore to root my device permanently.

- Used the titanium backup method to restore google apps+data as per the guides and files on this and xda forum, although many were (and still are) largely non-functional.

- Synchronised my contacts and Email using the froyo email method I found um.... somewhere. I sort of doubt this did anything but who knows.

- Cleared user data and cache from most of the apps ( I can't say which ones for sure, but market and gmail.) Crashed the market and when it restarted it gave me TOS and asked me for my google credentials.

- Had market "running" for a day this way but every download I tried was "Unsuccessful" which is what happens when market is not configured correctly.

- Downloaded that market enabler program, spoofed a verizon/US ID, and absolutely nothing happened. Rebooted, tried it again with the verizon/US setting and this time got a progress bar showing it working. Now market is fully functional.

I actually included this in the rom development thread in the hopes that someone could build similar code into the new rom and alleviate some issues getting to the market. I didn't really expect it to work as is on my device to be honest, but I'm quite happy it did.

Now let's hope this isn't a random isolated success.

I also find it hilarious that this program which is designed to overcome google's security and enable market on devices which aren't allowed access to it.... is now available in the google market!

Can you tell me how to set up marketenabler? I use emusan's backup and got gmail, reader, youtube works. I can open market and browse but every download is unsuccessful. I am wondering if I did something wrong with the market enabler so I need some tutorials. Thanks.
thinredline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #205
ptsenter
Addict
ptsenter has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo eReader Wireless
Updated with javese's enhanced browser to read txt files.
ptsenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:21 PM   #206
srob101
srob101 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Just wanted to bump this up to the front.
srob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #207
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Another bump, while welcoming srob101 to the MobileRead forum!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #208
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
very quiet here. ptsenter is still working to something while trying to debork my second PE. but is hols season i think. anybody with an idea on how to get recovery to this device?
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #209
srob101
srob101 began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Thanks filark!
srob101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:16 AM   #210
thinredline
Connoisseur
thinredline doesn't litterthinredline doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Pocket Edge, Nookd Simple Touch Glowlight, NGP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
very quiet here. ptsenter is still working to something while trying to debork my second PE. but is hols season i think. anybody with an idea on how to get recovery to this device?
I found using microSD to update sometimes works better. I have another PE which does not update using USB thumb drive but works on microSD. You may try it.
thinredline is offline   Reply With Quote