Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-14-2008, 02:24 PM   #1
lisamarie2612
lisamarie2612 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Yet another newbie

Hi everyone,

I have finally decided its time to stop filling up my house with books and buy a reader. Also be great for my holidays rather than using half my luggage allowance on books.
I'm in the UK and looking for a reader (not too expensive) that I can download a good number of fiction books for cheaply.
I'm not very techie at all and have seen a few mentions of converting files but that is beyond me unless someone can put it into Janet & John simple language for me.
Any suggestions at all on what type I should look for?
Many Thanks
Lisa
lisamarie2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
In the UK I'd highly recommend the Bookeen CyBook, which you can get from W H Smith online for a penny under £180 (includes VAT, p&p and a nice case).

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndS...-90010859.html

Then you'll be able to read any Mobipocket format ebooks from any of the numerous ebook stores that sell Mobipocket format ebooks.

In general, US ebook stores are cheaper the UK ones so I'd recommend http://www.booksonboard.com/ and http://www.fictionwise.com/

And, of course, all the wonderful out-of-copyright books available here in the Mobileread Mobipocket forum

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks.php?forumid=128

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisamarie2612 View Post
Hi everyone,

I have finally decided its time to stop filling up my house with books and buy a reader. Also be great for my holidays rather than using half my luggage allowance on books.
I'm in the UK and looking for a reader (not too expensive) that I can download a good number of fiction books for cheaply.
I'm not very techie at all and have seen a few mentions of converting files but that is beyond me unless someone can put it into Janet & John simple language for me.
Any suggestions at all on what type I should look for?
Many Thanks
Lisa
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2008, 08:23 AM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Lisa and welcome to the Forum. You've come to the right place to feed your reading addiction. You'll get lots of friendly advice (as Paul just demonstrated) from all us eBook junkies.

Be sure and let us know what you finally decide on
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
lisamarie2612
lisamarie2612 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for your help, I'm going for the Cybook from WH Smiths and seeing as I have a voucher code for 10% off I'll be getting it even cheaper.
Can't wait to get it and start downloading!!!
lisamarie2612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Cool! Now let us know what you think of it as soon as you get it and start downloading.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Welcome Lisa -- I'd be interested in hearing how you like your CyBook. I own a Kindle and a Sony reader. The only DRMed books that I've bought are those from Amazon.com for the Kindle. For the most part, I like to buy DRM-free books from both Fictionwise and Baen/Webscriptions. In fact, I have the most recent books I bought from Baen installed on both readers. I prefer using my Kindle, but since hubby bought me the lighted cover for the Sony, it's really great for reading in bed.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I prefer using my Kindle, but since hubby bought me the lighted cover for the Sony, it's really great for reading in bed.
Elsi... it's good to hear you go both ways. I have both two but never use my Sony 500 any more. It just sits on the shelf. I've been thinking of turning it in to $200 but have been to lazy to.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote