Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-24-2013, 04:18 AM   #16
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Plan B: try a different SD card, preferably Sandisk. Size doesn't metter. And try to format the card with this handy tool I always recommend for sd cards: https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/

There are also sd rescue images that try to restore the system partition. But for this to work you need to know the installed firmware version number.

Plan C is opening the device and looking for some ISP pins (in system programming, direct access to flash memory) but that's beyond our scope I'm afraid...

Last edited by uboot; 08-24-2013 at 04:23 AM.
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
satbeginner
satbeginner began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Hello Uboot,

No go with other SD cards.

I myself managed once to revive our Chinese Flytouch-8 by recreating the data on the internal sd card. A bit easier, I know, because this was a real micro SD card, so it was easy to take it out.
The problem was to find the original image for the Flytouch-8.

I would like to try 2 things now with the T1:

- I somehow have the feeling it tries to read from the external SD card, like a PC tries to boot from a floppydisk. No floppy? Ok, then I try the next boot device.

My feeling says the T1 (sort of) tries the same: First try to read a bootable image from the external SD. Not available or not valid? Then do the internal stuff. (I my case not valid either...)
So if I would have a entire dump of the internal memory from a working T1, I would like to play around with this on an external sd card. Transfer the boot-blocks an the recover partition to sd to see if there is still live there.

- Plan C: I found a post about a guy called GaryN, who seems to know how to read (and write) to internal memory as if it is an (micro) SD card.
See here: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20.../#.UhjkPX80-KI
This is in a T2, but I understand he did the same on a T1.
I am trying to contact him as well.

My question to you is: would you share a full backup of your T1 with me so I can play around with the boot sectors and the Recover partition?
Or maybe just the first part, like the first 1 GB?
That way I could dd if=/fullimage of=sdcard count =xxxx for the bootblocks, and
dd if=/fullimage of=sdcard count =xxxx iskip=yyyy for the recover partition.

I hope I triggered your (or any other reader who would share a image) interest in my effort,

Thanks again,
Satbeginner

Last edited by satbeginner; 08-24-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: More detail & typos
satbeginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #18
uboot
Evangelist
uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.uboot seems famous, but is in fact legendary.

Device: Kobo Mini, Tolino Epos 2
Yes, you may be right that the T1 looks for a bootable sd card.

And the big question is - what is considered "bootable"? Is it as easy as dumping internal flash device contents including boot loader, kernel & friends 1:1 onto external sd card? I'm not sure.... Might as well be that the T1 just _initializes_ external SD, but doesn't consider booting from it. But on the other hand there must be a way for Sony to recover devices....

Also, the encryption key within the first 25MB might be an obstacle. Find info on it here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166789
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166871

At freescale you might find valuable info, too: They have Linux images, Android images, SDK and Docs on the iMX platform which the T1 is based on: http://www.freescale.com/imx508
uboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:43 AM   #19
satbeginner
satbeginner began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Hi Uboot,

the past weeks I tried everything I could think off, I even tried to read and write the internal eMMC directly, but these super-super-super-small SMD resistors are really very small.

I think I throw the towel and call it bricked for ever.

The screen however is still working perfectly, I could test this by (temporarily) connecting it to a KOBO touch who uses the same display.
So, if if you know anybody who wants to buy a replacement screen for a Sony PRS-T1.... ;-)

They are glued in place, so a Sony screen cannot be used for a KOBO and vice-versa, but if necessary they are sold without the metal frame:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Original-New-...fe=itemDetails

Thanks for all your help and suggestions,

Leo
satbeginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 12:02 AM   #20
fatoni
fatoni began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
If you destroy anything within these 25MB, you won't be able to boot into recovery mode via external sd card anymore. The device cannot be recovered. Game over.
Hi uboot,
My reader is PRS T2.
I have rooted it, but I have restored to original.
after that I rooted again, but the firmware failed.
I was very hastily to change my reader partitions without sufficient knowledge.
I merged the first and second partition.
The device now is not detected by pc.
What can I do to resolve this problem?

Thank you..
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 10:53 PM   #21
mao_king
mao_king began at the beginning.

Device: kindle3 wifi
thanks a lot it's very helpful!!!
mao_king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:22 PM   #22
einknewbie
einknewbie began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs t1, amazon kindle 3,
Quote:
Originally Posted by uboot View Post
SOUNDS VERY GOOD

That means, recovery mode is working

I doubt that you have to restore all partitions. Most partitions are read-only and should not be broken.

But the main problem is: root file system, boot loader, kernel and initrd are not stored in a regular partitions but at raw offsets within the first 25MB of the internal flash partition.

If you destroy anything within these 25MB, you won't be able to boot into recovery mode via external sd card anymore. The device cannot be recovered. Game over.

So, please, before you start messing around with the internal flash memory, log into recovery console first and execute the commands in my last post. This will just print out the partition table.

I'd like to see if anything is damaged there before I give you more instructions...

Now, regarding the serial gadget driver... It is possible that Windows refuses to install it because it is not signed. I have no experience with Vista, but Win7 can be configured to not allow unsigned hardware drivers. You may have to change this.

If you have a linux machine, the driver is onboard allready.

You may install Linux into a Virtual Machine under Windows via Virtualbox and give the Virtual Machine access to the PRS T1 USB device.
Hi uboot,

My Sony T1 seems to be frozen or bricked forever.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?p=2904517

Could you help me and give me some advice on it? Thanks.
einknewbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bricked, not booting, recover