Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 02:55 AM   #1
boksida
boksida began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen Odyssey HD/android tablets
some problems

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I'm just learning the basics about Css programming. It's all very interesting but I'm affraid I'm a bit stuck.
Some help would be appreciated...

First I have the "element a is not allowed for content model...."

<blockquote class="calibre5">
<a class="calibre6" href="../Text/MSF1_split_002.html#filepos496759">chapter one</a>
</blockquote>

when I replace the "a" with p,h1,h2,div,...., I get following error message:

attribute href is not declared for element 'p' (or one of the other options)

Another one: "no character data is allowed by content model"

<em class="calibre14">Well I don’t want a triumph in the car</em><br class="calibre1" />

I don't get this one either, because ithere are identical lines above and below this one, with only a different text content, but they get no error message.

thanks!
boksida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
The <a> must be in a paragraph if I recall correctly. The correct usage would be according to XHTML rules:
Code:
<p>
<a class="calibre6" href="../Text/MSF1_split_002.html#filepos496759">chapter one</a>
</p>
</blockquote>
For the second one I think the culprit is <br class="calibre1" /> Replace it by <br />. That being said, I also am very suspicious about the class identifier of <em>. That does not make much sense to me...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:08 AM   #3
boksida

And another one while we are at it... It's about an NCX file.

</navLabel>
<content src="Text/chapter052.html"/></navPoint>
</navPoint>
</navMap>
</ncx>

I keep getting the message: expected end of tag: "navlabel", but if I add </navlabel> anywhere, I just keep on getting "expected end of tag" error messages.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
boksida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
The <a> must be in a paragraph if I recall correctly. The correct usage would be according to XHTML rules:
Code:
<p>
</p>
</blockquote>
For the second one I think the culprit is <br class="calibre1" /> Replace it by <br />. That being said, I also am very suspicious about the class identifier of <em>. That does not make much sense to me...
yeah, so far the <em> makes NO sense for me at all :-)

Thanks a lot for your help though!!!
It's maybe a stupid question, but the file has a lot of the "element a is not allowed"-errors. Is it possible to auto-change this somewhere for the lot, or does one have to correct them one by one?
Old 01-24-2013, 04:55 AM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't mess with the NCX file unless you know what you are doing. Regenerate it by pushing the 'create TOC by headers' (or something like that). It is the button in the right bottom.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:41 AM   #6
boksida

I dont have that screen on the right, but I assume it's the same as: "tools"> "table of contents">"generate table of contents" (ctr +t)
Old 01-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard

Yup. On the right the TOC should be visible. At least it is by default.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by boksida View Post
when I replace the "a" with p,h1,h2,div,...., I get following error message:

attribute href is not declared for element 'p' (or one of the other options)
text content, but they get no error message.
The attribute "href" is normally only in the "a" element and doesn't go with p,h1,div.

I have found a good resource is the W3School's reference site. It gives a really good explanation of HTML and CSS with all the different options as well as the ability to "try it yourself" to see what happens. They also have a pretty good tutorial for giving a basic understanding of all the jargon. I reference it all the time!

You can find the tutorials here:http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

the HTML references here:
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_link_href.asp

And the CSS references here:
http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/default.asp

I hope that helps!

Cheers!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:49 AM   #9
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by boksida View Post
And another one while we are at it... It's about an NCX file.

</navLabel>
<content src="Text/chapter052.html"/></navPoint>
</navPoint>
</navMap>
</ncx>

I keep getting the message: expected end of tag: "navlabel", but if I add </navlabel> anywhere, I just keep on getting "expected end of tag" error messages.
Probably need to see more context around these lines. For one thing, there are two </navPoint> tags in a row, implying nested navPoints, but where's the rest of the code (above what you quoted)?

Possibly the real error occurred way above the snippet you qouted. Parsers generally don't flag an error's location until they reach the point where they realize there must have been an error (in this case, it reached the end of the file, and realized it had an unmatched </navLabel> tag, or something.)

I realize the above paragraph is clear as mud, but my point is that often the error is not where the parser says it is.

Let Sigil generate the toc.ncx, and all should be well.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #10
boksida

I'm doing NOTHING in the TOC anymore without trying the magic button first!