Notices

Old 05-10-2020, 05:37 AM   #1
kakkalla
Zealot
kakkalla doesn't litterkakkalla doesn't litter

Device: iPad
Lock a book from further editing?

Hi all.

I spend a lot of time editing the Comments in the edit metadata window. Sometimes I accidentally change data for a book that I was perfectly happy with.

Is there any way that once I make my changes to the metadata of a book, I can LOCK that book so that I can't edit it again by accident?

Thanks in advance.
kakkalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 07:13 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakkalla View Post
Hi all.

I spend a lot of time editing the Comments in the edit metadata window. Sometimes I accidentally change data for a book that I was perfectly happy with.

Is there any way that once I make my changes to the metadata of a book, I can LOCK that book so that I can't edit it again by accident?
The Jobspy plugin has a Protect/Unprotect feature that may help, but I can't recall how it works, so it may not, see ==>> Index of plugins

You could do something like this, create a Y/N custom column called locked/Locked, and create a rule in Preferences->Look and feel->Column colouring to set the book line to, let's say Red, if Locked is set to "Y".

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2020, 07:30 AM   #3
kakkalla
Zealot

Genius! Thank you so much. I have a column that is Yes/No for “Finalised” but as I said I forget to look at it at times. What I didn’t know is that I can use colour! Brilliant. The red will be good.

I will also try the plugin.

Thanks so much. Cheers.
Old 05-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #4
kakkalla
Zealot

Thanks again for your suggestion about the colouring of the columns. Works like a charm.

I tried that plugin you mentioned but I am struggling with it. I understand the concept behind it and I was able to see how the "Comments" section could be protected by not having a check mark next to it in the panel.

However, I can't for the life me work out how to get selected books to be "tied" to this rule. For example, if I have finished editing a book, how do I make that particular book follow the rules I have set up in the plugin? I have tried right-clicking but can't see anything there that might help me.

Again, thanks so much for your idea!